Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions - I'm about sick of them Login/Join 
one of us
posted
This was in the Dallas Morning News yesterday. The "opinion" was that the arrogant, ignorant girl that was removed from the classroom should be our new heroine, and role model for how teenagers should behave, particularly black teenagers. The writer was an Associate Professor of African and African Diaspora Studies at UT-Austin. She totally ignored that the majority of students (black and white) supported the officer rather than the black teenager that ignored both her instructor and the security officer called to her classroom to remove her.

http://www.dallasnews.com/opin...le-for-all-of-us.ece

This next one appeared earlier this week, the day after I attended the funeral of a friend that had apparently committed suicide.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog....-still-selfish.html/

Where does the self-righteous "opinionist" get off calling the lady "selfish" because she decided to take her life following the senseless murder of her partner earlier in the week. It's HER life, if she decided not to start over and rebuild a new life, I respect her decision. I don't agree with it, and would have liked to have talked her out of it.........but.....it's her life.

Opinions are definitely like a$$holes. Everyone's got one, and for the most part, they should be kept to themselves.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree. This would never have happened when I was in school + not just because cel-phones had'nt been invented. We just did'nt act that way. A friend of mine from college retired 5 years ago from being a teacher + said she got out at just the right time as it has all gone to hell. On another subject I read an article in the paper that said they were going to remove Hamilton from the $10.00 bill + put Rosa Parks pic. instead. The guy writing the article said that we should also remove that "racist" Jackson from the $20.00. Yeah,where are we going + what am I doing in this handbasket?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

I agree on both parts. I wouldn't expect much more from a UT professor. Frankly, Austin is not part of Texas. There are Sone great aspects to it, but it is as liberal as the northeast or California.

The runner, suicide, and crazy ex football star story is one of the saddest I've heard lately.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote