Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally moving Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Well I have discussed it before, but it is now upon us. This time two weeks from today me and my 22’ long trailer will be almost done with our final road trip to Texas.
We purchased a 2 1/2 acre lot in Bandera, 40 miles west of San Antonio, and are just starting the build. Yes it does seem to be the worst time in recent history to start a build and it is costing some extra!
I have new job starting June 21 and wife has two interviews this friday via Zoom.
Scary and exciting all at once. We are ready to write the next chapters from a new location.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing quite like a new life...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good for you! It will be an experience you will curse + treasure for the rest of your life. A great area too. Welcome to Tejas, Amigo. Please keep us all informed on your progress. Needless to say, Best of luck!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you get done, give us a shout. i'm about an hour south of hell, go there for the grandkids games etc once in awhile. norman (randy) lives on the edge. you did pik a hellova time to build $$$ wise. my sons a contractor and his material bids used to be good for 3 months. now its for one week. don't know how old you are but if you are still excited about roller coaster rides try driving thru hell on 35 around 3-5. PM or AM.
don't vote Kalifornia!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, as Mollie Ivens wrote + I concur, "The secret to serenity living in the Austin area is to NEVER get on I 35".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good move. Congrats!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas Brent.

As a builder myself, I'll concur that materials prices are up, especially lumber. On the other hand, interest rates are still very low. Personally I'd rather pay a few thousand more on lumber right now than another percent on a mortgage for the next 15 to 30 years. Waiting for lumber prices to snap back to normal is a gamble with interest rates, especially in light of the possibility of inflation rearing its ugly head.

I'm still finding we can build a home for our clients for a lot less money than they can purchase an existing home of similar size and finish. Houses going on the market right now are being snapped up for thousands over asking price and within days of hitting the market.

We have a couple moving from Seattle into one of the better school areas just outside Fort Worth. Had contract in hand and had started preliminary work on the project. They got cold feet worrying about lumber prices and asked to be released from the contract. I've got more jobs than I can get to now so I let them out. Turns out they were going to eliminate the stress of building decisions, including dealing with lumber price increases and just buy an existing home. Less than a week of looking at what's on the market and they came back asking to reactivate the contract.

You'll be fine if you find the right contractor. We don't build in that area so I can't be of service. Welcome to Texas!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Brent,
You need to be here 6 months to get a resident license. You will be in a very good area to hunt trophy deer and it is only about 6 months until the season opens. If you are a senior age person the combo for all tags and permit is about $35. The state has some areas to hunt if you can get drawn out. Free Gov't owned land isn't available down there.

I would like to inform you that to get a resident hunting and fishing license your driving license has to read TEXAS as this is the guide that is needed. Texas also now requires that an original birth record with the correct state stamps on it. I went thru this process a few months ago just to renew my Texas driving license.

This is now a problem as it will take time to get an appointment.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to tell you about our pets down here. These were found last year about 35 miles from me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are out there for sure. The key is awareness. + sometimes that's not enough; they are so well camouflaged I have walked up on them in the past + never saw them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of that there used to be an outfit that made camo clothes that had the rattler motif. Best camo I ever wore. They went out of business (I think) because I haven't seen their product for years. Too bad as they made a good product.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I just saw a report how bad the homeless situation has gotten in Austin. Is it a sanctuary city as well?

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
I forgot to tell you about our pets down here. These were found last year about 35 miles from me.

were all them liberals found under that piece a tin? they like to overnight under tin sheets.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a friend that lives down in west Austin area in her RV. Last week she told me that it is so bad that people will come over to your car asking for money when you stop for a red light. Tents are under every underpass and the trash is bad. She had to find a new way to get to Walmart.

The last time I went thru Austin on I-35 pulling my 5th wheel RV it was raining lightly. My wife was pull our boat behind and for about 10 miles thru we had to stop for 10 wrecks. My wife got lost behind me and we talked with CB's to get to the next exit. I will never go thru again!!!

Austin is becoming the base for Kalifornias moving there now. They want all the Demicraps they can get to vote out the Republicans. I have a family member down in a sub division near Austin that must be within minutes of the Capital as the is a special agent. They had a custom home built last year and Tesler people are buying everything for people to move there soon. They double the price in one year and bought another one located East of Austin. It is really changing down there.

There are so many people moving to Texas now. I have a brother near Mineral Wells that has 10 + acres with a Rv port built very well. A call last week from someone from Kalifornia offered him one Million dollars cash for his place and it is not listed for sale. He said I am not selling!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds terrible.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd, Yeah I am the same regarding materials versus interest. I figure we are going to run 75-100,000 over budget to be safe. I have private money loan at inflation rate only, so in good shape on that end. I have been dealing with teh builder for over a year as we picked a lot and he waited while I designed the house. So far we hit if off. Pretty well doing cost plus at this point with me handling quite a bit of the items.
Give me 9 months and come check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Welcome to Texas Brent.

As a builder myself, I'll concur that materials prices are up, especially lumber. On the other hand, interest rates are still very low. Personally I'd rather pay a few thousand more on lumber right now than another percent on a mortgage for the next 15 to 30 years. Waiting for lumber prices to snap back to normal is a gamble with interest rates, especially in light of the possibility of inflation rearing its ugly head.

I'm still finding we can build a home for our clients for a lot less money than they can purchase an existing home of similar size and finish. Houses going on the market right now are being snapped up for thousands over asking price and within days of hitting the market.

We have a couple moving from Seattle into one of the better school areas just outside Fort Worth. Had contract in hand and had started preliminary work on the project. They got cold feet worrying about lumber prices and asked to be released from the contract. I've got more jobs than I can get to now so I let them out. Turns out they were going to eliminate the stress of building decisions, including dealing with lumber price increases and just buy an existing home. Less than a week of looking at what's on the market and they came back asking to reactivate the contract.

You'll be fine if you find the right contractor. We don't build in that area so I can't be of service. Welcome to Texas!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I figure snake gaiters for any work in the bush. My wife is more concerned about scorpions!

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I need a birth certificate to get my driver license? That could be a problem! If that is the case, I will be driving on Virginia license for awhile and buying non resident license

quote:
Welcome Brent,
You need to be here 6 months to get a resident license. You will be in a very good area to hunt trophy deer and it is only about 6 months until the season opens. If you are a senior age person the combo for all tags and permit is about $35. The state has some areas to hunt if you can get drawn out. Free Gov't owned land isn't available down there.

I would like to inform you that to get a resident hunting and fishing license your driving license has to read TEXAS as this is the guide that is needed. Texas also now requires that an original birth record with the correct state stamps on it. I went thru this process a few months ago just to renew my Texas driving license.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
So I need a birth certificate to get my driver license? That could be a problem! If that is the case, I will be driving on Virginia license for awhile and buying non resident license

quote:
Welcome Brent,

a passport and utility bill should work - it’s what my buddy used to get a tx drivers license.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I renewed my license 2 years ago, I had to supply my birth certificate, even though I had my current one + my CCL + my expired passport. Give me break, how could I have any of those unless I was a current resident?! But no, the Mexican woman clerk wouldn't budge so I went home (30 miles each way) + brought back my birth certificate + told a different employee the story + he said, well that was stupid on her part. I got my new one but I guess its who you talk to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend is from Indiana and he just made an appointment to get his license plate and drivers license changed over. He has to wait over 2 months to get into the office in Hillsboro, Tx.

Go to: Texas DPS site and read what it says to get legal in Texas. The check is to find out if you are here without swimming the river. I have had a drivers license since 1950 and still needed to prove who I am. Like most people I didn't have all the necessary papers required just to renew the license. It is by appointment now and almost everyone in line had problems with the renewal requirements. I believe if you are going to work down here you have 30 days to get everything changed to Texas. Just check all this out and you want have to explain why you moved down here to a Judge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.dps.texas.gov/inte...orms/Forms/DL-57.pdf

Take an unexpired us passport and you are set.

The us passport is the single best document to show us citizenship.

Make sure your us passport is not expired.

I bet a good majority people with us passport rarely have travelled on that passport.

https://www.statista.com/stati...s-owning-a-passport/

Best form of id.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a friend that lives down in west Austin area in her RV. Last week she told me that it is so bad that people will come over to your car asking for money when you stop for a red light. Tents are under every underpass and the trash is bad. She had to find a new way to get to Walmart.

The last time I went thru Austin on I-35 pulling my 5th wheel RV it was raining lightly. My wife was pull our boat behind and for about 10 miles thru we had to stop for 10 wrecks. My wife got lost behind me and we talked with CB's to get to the next exit. I will never go thru again!!!

Austin is becoming the base for Kalifornias moving there now. They want all the Demicraps they can get to vote out the Republicans. I have a family member down in a sub division near Austin that must be within minutes of the Capital as the is a special agent. They had a custom home built last year and Tesler people are buying everything for people to move there soon. They double the price in one year and bought another one located East of Austin. It is really changing down there.

There are so many people moving to Texas now. I have a brother near Mineral Wells that has 10 + acres with a Rv port built very well. A call last week from someone from Kalifornia offered him one Million dollars cash for his place and it is not listed for sale. He said I am not selling!!!

How terrible!

In the world’s richest country??

Not blaming anyone, except those who put themselves in this position.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT?? i thought DUBAI was the worlds richest country!

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
No Dubai just has one of the world's richest potentates, his money isn't to be confused or mixed with that of his subject's.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has 5 acres next door + has been offered 420K by an investment firm (no water well + they pay all fees + back taxes). The contract looks good but all things considered, that may well be too cheap; we shall see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how you gonna like living next to a huge apartment complex or instant slum or warehouse? tell him don't sell till ur tits up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, believe me, that thought has never left my mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theres not a damn hay or corn field w/in 30 miles a here that hasn't got a for sale sign on it. i hope the first electric car that rolls out of the plant being built in austin gets test drove right up elon muskys fat ass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, much as I hate to say it; my son just sold his 5 acres right next to mine for 420K with no well + they pay all the back taxes. I don't want to see anyone "next door" but that is not my option anymore.Since I qualify for the over 65 expemtion to freeze my land taxes we shall see how this will work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh shit. question is, who bought it? ma and pa kettle or ely musky? that'll damn sure make a difference!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt you'll get a poorly built McMansion there and then more will follow as people sell out to get away from the rush of housing developments.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann + John, ALL of those things have crossed my mind.Believe me. I will admit that I am VERY concerned. I would assume that as there is his house existing + the plot for a McMansion overlooking the valley that that is what they will do. I can't imagine anyone paying that kind of money to set up a trailer park (I hope!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ann + John, ALL of those things have crossed my mind.Believe me. I will admit that I am VERY concerned. I would assume that as there is his house existing + the plot for a McMansion overlooking the valley that that is what they will do. I can't imagine anyone paying that kind of money to set up a trailer park (I hope!)

That's the risk, getting a trailer park. Then your own property becomes near worthless. Yuck. The other issue is the more urbanized your area gets the more laws, taxes, rules and infringements will be voted in and placed upon everyone else. It's a creeping plague.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy.....did he put restrictions on the land in the contract?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of that there used to be an outfit that made camo clothes that had the rattler motif. Best camo I ever wore. They went out of business (I think) because I haven't seen their product for years. Too bad as they made a good product.

It's still on the racks, you just can't see it. You are correct, best camo around.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, If you have a contact for these folks I would appreciate it. I would certainly buy more of their clothing.
John, no, he did not + there are no restrictions out here anyway. My other son (the successful one that owns the Austin based Co.) told him to get a lawyer to look it over before signing ANYTHING! Will he do it? I doubt it.
Ann, you are so right. I am of the same accord. 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other. Highest point of land with a view that goes on forever but we don't talk about that since they have now instated a "view tax". REALLY! Not to mention the rumor (more than) that they will be building a HWY right in front of my property. I think that woman buyer knows something. I know that in another few years my place will be worth muy big bucks, but I don't want to sell. Hell, where would I go? Besides when I bought this place in the early 70s I was out in the middle of a blessed nowhere. Kind of a time warp from the 30s + 40s. You are right of course,the encroachment of (civilization + their ilk) is well upon us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you, Randy, but there are lots of nice places to resettle to when the time comes. Just get out with a profit and not a loss.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest---That was an LOL, their camo is so good you can't see it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I got it but wanted to take a chance in case you were aware of them still being in business. Thanks for the pun. Smiler