New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskey Recommendation? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
makers mark is wonderful

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Just pour them all back in the mule, and recycle them for a better drink!

Personally I'd far rather have a fine cup of good Cajun coffee, and it's still legal to drive an automobile in most states! Roll Eyes
jumping diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i brought home with me a bottle of 'famous grouse gold reseve' today and i think its pretty good.

dont know the cost of it in the us

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Whiskey is such a personal thing, I can't imagine buying for someone else. I personally favor bourbons for their complexity, and Canadians for their "bang for the buck" factor. Even an $8 bottle of McNaughtons beats many $50 Scottish products, IMHO. On the bourgon side, my F.I.L. is in the liquor business, and keeps me in the premium label stuff from Wild Turkey. Pretty easy to tolerate, though not "the best" IMO.

Fortunately, I found out I can't STAND the high dollar Scottish single malts. As a reminder, I had a glass of Lapraigh (sp) last Saturday, and it tasted like a swamps smells..... Hard to imagine developing a liking to that stuff. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Grandaddy always said to look for George Dickel. You won't be dissappointed and neither will your FFIL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all cases it sounds to me like all this advice is coming from some good sources and I will so heed.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I've started getting into bourbon lately.

My take

Makers Mark - good

Knob Creek and Woodford - really good. I prefer the Woodford ever so slightly.

Blantons - The best I've had.

All of these are under $50/bottle at the PA state stores.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
i brought home with me a bottle of 'famous grouse gold reseve' today and i think its pretty good. dont know the cost of it in the us

Excellent whisky....$27-$32 in U.S.

Bourbon...the more you pay the better the bottle and label. Corn is better on the cob than in the bottle. stir
Scotch or Irish.....the more you pay the better it is. Bowmore 18, Oban 14, Red Breast 12, Bushmills 16 dancing

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:

Pappy Van Winkle is about the best bourbon going in my opinion. It is available, or was at one time, in 15, 20, and 23 year old. I have never had the 23 year old (it's about $250 a fifth), but have had both the 15 and 20. Both are fantastic, the 20 being the better choice as expected.

Look into the Pappy 20year. Last time I bought it was about $100 a fifth. Be sure your future father in law lets you have a taste though.

Ditto this. I bought a bottle of 20 year old for $98 in Houston last weekend. Its a bourbon drinker's bourbon.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetdog2084:
makers mark is wonderful

When I want a whiskey, this is my favorite.

I am not a "smoke in a bottle" fan, though I do enjoy a good single malt lowlands scotch.. ya'll have have every drop of a smokey+peaty highlands

I was at the store last night, and laughing at Johnny Blue -- 68 bucks for a 250ml... for BLENDED whiskey, smoke flavor ADDED

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Overholt is an interesting American rye with a curious but delightful flavor. I wasn't sure about it at first, but as I worked through the bottle over the course of a month, it grew on me, and I came to really like it. I'm thinking about buying another jug.

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So what's the difference between a rye and a bourbon?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Steve, there are some very knowledgeable guys following this thread who could probably fill several pages with info on the distinctions between the various whiskeys or whiskys, but as I understand it,and very broadly speaking, Scotch is made from barley, bourbon is made from corn, and rye is made with, well, rye. There is a bunch of data on this on the web and I started looking into it a year ago and ended up with my eyes sort of glazed over. Just entirely too much stuff. Much better to just drink some and enjoy.

What sorts of liquor do you run across on the Dark Continent?

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

We get a lot of relatively inexpensive blended whiskies, some of which are locally made and some imported.... many of those, esp the local ones, are like drinking petrol. We can also get Bells and Famous Grouse etc, but at an inflated price.

We used to be very limited in regard to malts, and maybe had only 4 -6 only available, but that's changing now and we're steadily seeing more choice, but at quite a high price. About the cheapest single Malt you can buy is Glen Grant which is about US$25, which although not a great malt, is OK. A really good malt that you might save for high days and holidays can easily cost 15 times that amount.

I've never seen a rye whisky here but that could be because I haven't looked. - I've gotta drive to town today, so will drop into the bottle shop and see if they have any. - Then come back here to run a name or two past you guys. Wink

We also get a lot of locally made brandy and of course some very good local wines, which are quite inexpensive. - US$5 or so will but you something drinkable at the lower end of the scale and they go up from there.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ah, what a bastard! - I went into 3 bottle shops today and none of them stocked any rye whisky at all.......... in fact, none of them had even heard of a rye whisky......... I was looking forward to trying some of that!

Guess I'll have to wait till I can get someone to bring a bottle over from the States. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, is there any way to send you some from here? I'm thinking about tarrifs, customs, and all that. If you know how to do this, I'll send you a jug.

RG

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's very kind of you indeed, Smiler but I reckon it'd almost certainly either get stolen or broken. Confused

However, if you can recommend a brand, I'll either get one of my clients to bring some over next year or I'll ask on the African hunting forum if anyone is coming to the lowveld earlyish next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Steve-

Yeah, I figured shipping a jug wouldn't really work. As far as a recommendation goes, there is the "Old Overholt" mentioned, (referred to locally as Old Overcoat), Wild Turkey is making a rye, but I think it's a blend, Jim Beam ditto.
The real news is that Anchor Breweries in San Fran, makers of the excellent Steam Beer, has been making a 100% rye malt for a time and I've heard good things about it. It's called "Old Potrero" named after a district in S.F. Don't know the proof and haven't yet seen any, but I'd bet this is pretty good stuff. There are some Canadian ryes, but these are definitely blended.

Now, I'm no connoisseur, I'm just a shop rat, and drink a lot of beer with some Wild Turkey Black Label or Geo. Dickel now and then. Some friends turned me on to Scotch years ago, but I drink it rarely. So when I first tried this rye, I thought it tasted like some kind of industrial solvent. But that is what I had thought when I first tried Glen Livet! It is surely different, but after growing accustomed to it, I found it to be light, clear, a little bitter, and very clean.

Anyhow, if you can't get someone to bring a jug of the Potrero, go with the Overcoat.

Best of luck,

RG

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks very much, I'll do that very thing. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Beam's Rye whiskey is "Straight Rye" according to the label.

Most of the others are blends.

but even most Bourbon whiskeys contain SOME rye.

Old Portrero(sp?) is a "Boutique" spirit and priced accordingly.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Rye makes a good sandwich. Single malt Scotch is a for drinking. Irish a second. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Bourbon has to have been made from 51% corn by volume and should come from Bourbon County, Kentucky to wear the name. But you can make it anywhere and legally call it bourbon.

Rye whiskey has to be 51% rye grain by volume. "Straight Rye" or "Straight Bourbon" are legal terms referencing the length of aging, not the percent of grain. I belive Anchor Brewing is the only US distiller making rye whiskey from 100% rye malt. This would make it one of America's only "single malt" whiskeys other than some straight-up 100% corn moonshine-style novelty spirits.

There should still be some Canadian distillers making pure rye whiskey.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote