Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskey Recommendation? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Anyone out there a whiskey affectionado? I need to buy a nice bottle of whiskey for a gift (future father in-law) and I would like to keep it under $120 (US). I had some Jameson Red Brest the other day and some Crown Special Reserve, both of which I liked, but I am not a big whiskey drinker. Someone told me Johnny Walker Green Label, but it is really expensive and they hadn't actually tried it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.woodfordreserve.com/

Pretty damn good sipping whisky.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basil Haydon bourbon. Top notch and won't break the bank at about $40.00 per bottle. It's my favorite.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Pendelton....All I drink, on the rocks..SMOOTH!!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCallan 18. Best Whisky ever to cross my lips.

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Midleton Very Rare"........

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have two recommendations at that price point or below.

Balvenie 21 year old Port Wood Finished for a very smooth single malt.

If you want to get him something REALLY interesting look for Glenlivet's Nadurra. It is a 16 year old cask strength whisky (my bottle is 118.4 proof!) that has a somewhat lemony note and it feels like it effervesces on my tongue.

I just turned a lifelong Lagavulin man onto it, and he put it at the top of his 'must buy' list.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good leads gentleman. I am going to go take a look for some bottles this afternoon. George...great Cape

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hope I'm not too late!

I think the best advice I can give you about good whiskey is to drink plenty of it!!!!!!!!!!

More seriously, do you mean whiskey as in Irish whiskey, whiskey as in bourbon whiskey or whisky as in scotch whisky or malt whisky?

There's an awful lot of choice out there and a whisky or whiskey afficianado will REALLY notice the differences.

If you can clear up the above question, I'd be delighted to make some good suggestions for you.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Adding to my previous post.....

If he likes bourbon whiskey: Woodford Reserve is a good option.

If he likes malt whisky, they vary dramatically depending on area and you might like to visit wwwscotchwhisky.com to fnd out more.

Irish whiskey can be equally complicated and a web search might be the best way to discover the differences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that he is more of a burbon guy. One of his son's got him a bottle of crown not too long ago, and he said, "Oh it's fairly good." Hope that helps...

On another note.. I have been dinking some of the nicer whiskeys I have been able to find and I seem to be developing a taste for them...I didn't realize that good whiskey was soooo much better than the crap we used to buy in college! Damn! Just what I need. Another hobby/interest to occupy my time and $$$

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Ahhh.. finally a post that I know something about...
Pappy Van Winkle is about the best bourbon going in my opinion. It is available, or was at one time, in 15, 20, and 23 year old. I have never had the 23 year old (it's about $250 a fifth), but have had both the 15 and 20. Both are fantastic, the 20 being the better choice as expected.

A.H. Hirsch is another great one, but it is no longer being produced. The distilery closed some time ago, but you can still find the odd bottle here and there. If memory serves, there was a 16 and a 20 year old, though I have only had the 16. Good stuff. I've been nursing a bottle of 16 for about 2 years now. If you do stumble across someone who has a good supply, buy all they have and let me know Wink

Some of the more common small batch bourbons that rank high on my list are: Black Maple Hill, Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, Blanton's and Conecuh Ridge.

Look into the Pappy 20year. Last time I bought it was about $100 a fifth. Be sure your future father in law lets you have a taste though.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bid on a key bottle at a Calif Deer Association Banquet ended up with Jack Daniels Single Barrel.Took it to our sportsmans club supper and shared it with our members,they all liked it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Makers Mark still tops my list. The Woodford reserve is nice, but I still prefer the Makers Mark.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey Rare Breed is well within your budget and some mighty fine sipping.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If your prospective FFIL is a Bourbon drinker then just go buy him a bottle of Maker's Mark.

It is a classic whiskey and your gift will most certainly be appreciated. At Maker's Mark prices you could buy him a case!

If he is a scotch drinker, then look for a good Single Malt Highland Whisky.

an oaky smokey 17 year old Glengoyne

Always a good choice is Glenlivet. This 21 year old bottling is very good.

Lots of good whisky and whiskeys out there. So little time.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Second vote for Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve bourbon. The 20 yr old is about $99 a bottle here in Houston.

The cascade of flavors during and after a sip have to be experienced to belive. Nothing else like it.

If, OTOH the idea is to maximize the buzz, Booker's is a good choice at 126 proof. It is about $45.00 a bottle and flavorful but hard to drink neat or over ice. It needs a touch of water or like a good habenero pepper, the first taste is the last for a while.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy good whisky - but as we don't get many of the good bourbons out here, I don't really know much about them. - With the malt whiskies, you only really get the full benefit of the flavours and aromas by 'releasing the dragon' which is just to add good water to the good malt...... it really works and if you add ice, you lose all the subtleties........... Sooo, do you bourbon fans do the same, or do you add ice? - And if you do add ice, do you get the full benefit of flavour and aroma?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The best bourbons are drunk neat or with a little water, too. I suppose ice is a personal preference. If the proof is too high the alcohol masks some of the subtlties so water is in order. Around 80-90 proof I like it with about 10% water up to neat, depending on the character of the whiskey. If I'm drinking standard whiskies like Jim Beam its usually on the rocks with 50% water or more, just to make the drink last a while.

So goes it for Tequila too; the best ones are drunk neat at room temp. The standard grades go into mixers and over ice. The worst ones are reserved for college kids doing shots or "poppers".

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A favorite we had in NYS was Willshires Black Bull Scotch Whiskey 100 proof now out of business.I took a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel to our Sportsmans Assoc monthly dinner last week it was well accepted.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
On the better bourbons, I generally add an ice cube or two to most, but no water. Never manage to let them stay around long enough for the ice to melt and dilute the flavor. The Pappy Van that Tiggertate and I are so fond of needs niether ice nor water so long as it is room temp. or cooler. The well brands (Jim Beam, Evan Williams, etc.) need all the help they can get IMHO, so ice and water or 7-Up is in order.
Funny you should mention that ice ruins the subtleties of Scotch. Back when I was a younger man and did not appreciate good scotch whiskey, I about got a butt whoopin by an 80 year old man for "insultin' his whiskey" by adding ice to it.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Interesting that most Americans (or at least, from my experience) seem to drink their whisky or whatever kind with ice. - Like your 80 year old buddy, I prefer mine with good water and feel by adding ice, you lose all the subtlies of the whisky....... but as I've gotten older, I now believe everyone should enjoy their booze the way they want it - although it does still break my heart to see some bloody philistine adding something like coke to a good malt!!!! Roll Eyes Wink

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
yeah, I guess the same is true for tea as well. Took me a lot of years to realize the best beers are served cool, not cold too. All that time I thought it was the crappy Lucas refrigerators in Great Britain!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Woodford Reserve or Gentleman Jack. Wiser's for a Canadian blend. All are well below your budget.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of smooth sippin' ones: #1 Wiser's Rye, and #2 Wild Turkey Rye.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, there's been some good suggestions and a few worse suggestions, but, unbelievably, everyone has overlooked the classic whisky which is cognac.

For your budget, you have a couple of ways to go, get him a bottle of Courvoisier, Hennessy, or Remy Martin XO....these all are slightly over your budget or drop down to Napoleon and these would all be under it. Personally I tend to prefer Remy Martin, but that's just my taste buds.

Personally, I'd suggest a selection of good drinking whiskies, get him a liter of Jack Daniels Black, a liter of Jim Beam Rye, and a Liter of Remy Martin VSOP. You can do this for less than your budget total, and you and he or he and some of his buddies can have fun sitting around taste testing them or just getting snockered, take your pick.

BTW, as someone mentioned, Wiser's Oldest, which used to be sold as 17 years old, is also a great sipping whiskey but hard to find in the South. I can't say much for scotch, I had a very bad experience with 2 bottles of JW Black at a 24 daytona race about 40 years ago. I have only JUST gotten to where I can taste it without throwing up. The Irish Black Bush is reasonably priced and pretty smooth.

If you weren't so far away, I'd give you a quart jar of Sugar Hill's Finest which is moonshine still made in the time honored old fashioned way in North East Texas. Now that's a real conversation piece, honestly, I can't say as much for its palatability.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually refering to bourbon as a specific type of whisky is incorrect. bourbon county kentucky has the hold on the word bourbon. to call a whiskey bourbon it must come from that county in kentucky. Now having been there on more than one occassion i can vouch for both the quality and quantity available in that location Big Grin Wink

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they spell it like the Irish, Whiskey and not whisky...... ah, hang on a minute........... it's America where they can't even spell colour or calibre correctly...... to say nothing about driving on the correct side of the road, instead of the right side!

jumping jumping

Sorry guys, just taking the piss..... you know what Winston Churchill said about the UK & USA - 'two nations divided by a common language'

Wink

I just pray that no-one mentions tea!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the classic whisky which is cognac

Say What?? Uh? Cognac is Brandy - made from FRUIT! Whiskey (Whisky) is made from grain. Brandy is not whiskey there Bubba.... animal

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maker's Mark.....The best Kentucky Whiskey!

Posts: 48 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
maker's mark ... nearly as good as my mead...
buffalo trace, if you can't handle MM

neither are kentucky whiskeys, as they are both bourbons, which has specific legal requirements, none of which have anything to do with location, rather the procressing and aging and the specific requirements around barrels, aging, and oak ..new barrels, charred, at least 2 years to be called bourbon, barrels can't be reused.

makers mark is the only maker that, after 2 years, blends for taste, without age requirement, after minimum .. thats why there's no AGE on the bottle... trust me, go look at your bottle, it don't say 6 or 7 or 9 years old, and thats on the history of MM on their website
whiskey is grain, barley is NOT a requirement
bourbon is grain, that has spent at least 2 years in a NEW charred oak barrel
tennesee whiskey, goes through charred wood (not exactly charcoal) before going into an american white oak barrel for at least 6 month

cognac and amarmonac are from GRAPE, well, distilled wines, the first distilled booze, by the monks at chartreus (sp) then aged in oak

brandy is a fermented fruit (not grape), then distilled, and aged however...

liquor is, in terms of sugar, whatever the sugar level was in products over 20%/40 proof
liquorre(sp) is sweetened AFTER distillation

cask strengh means blended but not watered
single barrel means ONE 55-60 (varies) barrel, which makes between 100 and 110 750ml 12 bottle cases

single malt means all from the same brewing and distill,,, so whatever it ages in, can be blended together, or can be made in a tun, hogshead, ot larger barrel, and sold as a manufactoring BATCH .. think single batch, not anything to do with the actual "malt" as all whiskeys are made from a blend of variously treated malts

scotch is whiskey, made with peated malts, of various strenghs... peated malts are a SMALL part of the grain bill, that has been smoked over a peat fire, and added for flavor.. american "scotch" bubbles peat smoke through the vat.. a decidedly icky way to do it

irish whiskey is nearly the same blend as scotch, but no peat... none at all

the scots and the irish use a different still, that pulls off a slightly different temp steam, with slighly different fusil alcohols

"smooth as tennesee whisky" doesn't mean it doesn't have a BITE .. that is from the grain bill and the alcohol content, however, the taste is VERY smooth as lots of aromatics and other nasties were stripped off by soaking and runing the batch through the charred wood first. This can take up to 2 weeks

Warm as a glass of brandy is due, largely to the fusil alcohol and malic acid remainders, that are then concentrated into the distillates ... cognac is WORSE for fusils, as it is a very very high starting gravity wine, nearly twice the normal levels, and it brew HOT then distilled, with about double the fusils as the same wine BEFORE distallation, and about 6x afterwards, though some are stripped off in the barrel. brandy follows the same process ... both can be made with cooked down and consendsed fruit syrups

This is the reason brandy and cognacs give most people bad headaches the morning after...

scotch, with all the smoke in it, gives you a toxic front from the peat smoke

Irish whiskey is a bit better, but it takes a cooler steam than scotch, so it too can have alot of fusils..

american (and candian) whiskeys tend to have be the best distilled in regards to fusils.. i don't know why, other than we had "no" tradition on how to make stills after prohibition...

Why is white lightening bad for you? Sure, it's got a bunch of fusils, and it's pretty "hot" in terms of aromatics... but the reason it has a "blind, crazy, dead" reputation is due to the "Steam accumulators" that were used.. CAR RADIATORS ... which even today, are LEAD soldered together (with exceptions) .. but you take an acidic gas (must/wort/mash tends to finish about 3.0 or LESS pH.. about stomach acid) that's HOT (high reactive temp) and introduce it to any lead at all, it will strip the lead right out, and put it in the booze...

VERY bad, no real way to get it out...

Oh, yeah, and since it's not regulated, it could have wood alcohol (blind, crazy dead) to make it taste like, and have the effect of a higher proof booze...

in a purist sense, bourbon aint whiskey, due to processing afterwards... no more than than a ford motor in a jag makes it a pinto ... scotch is a first cousin, mother's side...

tennesse whiskey is the only true blue american "whiskey" ... and there only a couple of them. there are lots of canadian whiskeys, but i don't know what makes that process that...

anyway, enough for tonight

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Jeffe.....tom. night we'd like to hear about bitters.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One slight addition; bourbon has to be at least 51% corn in the mash.

Corn came to American whiskies late; during the colonial days rye was the grain of choice. G. Washington was the new country's largest whiskey maker by a large margin.

After the whiskey rebellion failed, the southern territories began smuggling liquor north. Corn was the crop of choice in the southern heat. And the whiskey was good enough to displace rye whiskey as the spirit of choice.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Scotch: Knockandu

Bourbon: duty free Jim Beam, best value out there. Bottled water costs more.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is how I solved my own dilemma: I bought myself a membership into the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Google it and see what you think. Keeps me pickled quite nicely thank you.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Jeffeosso,
your statement and I quote

"brandy is a fermented fruit (not grape)"

is totally incorrect. Yes there are some brandies made from fruit but unless otherwise stated brandy in the generic sense refers specifically to the distillation of fermented GRAPE juice.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Dear Jeffeosso,
your statement and I quote

"brandy is a fermented fruit (not grape)"

is totally incorrect. Yes there are some brandies made from fruit but unless otherwise stated brandy in the generic sense refers specifically to the distillation of fermented GRAPE juice.

clap

Thanks....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the interesting things is in the aging of whiskey. when being aged the temperature at which the barrel is at will add or subtract from the alcohol content. Thus the term "blended " often means that the barrels are moved around in the aging rooms. bourbon will reach very high alcohol content and is usually "cut" back to more tolerable levels. Many of the more expensive brands (mark is a good example) will have a higher alcohol content due to the position of the barrel during aging. Also a note on scotch - it is not necessarily filtered through peat. the island and lowlands have this abundance of peat, and do filter through peat, but the highlands distilleries do not have the access to the peat so use other filters (frequently charcoal) Now with this additional information at hand you must decide for yourselves whether to sip or gulp bewildered

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my short life span of 60 yrs, I have tried most of the whiskey's mentioned, The best Blended Whiskey, including Crown, Various Wild Turkey's, Old Crow, Old Squirrel (just wanted to hope around that night, not fly).
Then you said Bourbon.
There is only ONE BOURBON...Henry McKenna....Not expensive but is as smooth as any Blended Whiskey out there.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote