New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP John Prine Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Turning on the radio this morning + they were playing a lot of music by whom the D.J. called "The late great John Prine." I had not heard of his passing. Does anyone have any info on his demise? I know he had a heart attack a few years ago but never heard any more. I have been a fan since his 1st album in 1972. Any info would be appreciated.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Covid

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somehow that doesn't come as a surprise. After a heart attack + a lifetime of cigarettes, I'm sure his immune system was low.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"He was in heaven before he died...…"

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only just saw this post. Yes, I too was a fan of his.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a true poet. I had the privilege of seeing perform on stage several times + he always put on a good show. One memorable one was when he played the Paramount Theatre here in Austin + introduced this young woman Iris Dement. I have been a fan of hers now for years as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little late to the thread. I too was a huge fan, starting in the 70's when I saw him touring with Bonnie Raitt. Had the good fortune to see him in New Orleans 3 times in the past 2 years or so. A peerless songwriter and all around good guy by every account.
He died of covid 19 contracted by his wife and him during what turned out to be his last concert in Paris. Prine had major surgery and radiation for throat cancer from a lifetime of smoking in 1996, and then a part of lung removed in about 2015 for a recurrence, but kept on working. He also had chronic lung disease from smoking. A setup for a bad outcome from Covid 19.
If you have a chance, listen to the last song on his last album released last year called Tree of Forgiveness. It's titled "When I Get to Heaven". No doubts there. Godspeed, JP.