Find
Notify
Tools

The 'supply chain'... Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Truly an epic fail these days.

Normally, when a part breaks on my farm equipment I buy two replacements. Kind of like breeding livestock it's always best to have an heir and a spare. I must have the worst lawn tractor ever made, Husqvarna. I've had to replace a lot of parts since I obtained it in late 2014 and I do not mow much, just basically my dooryard and the berm around my pond. Summers are so dry here that I don't need to mow for several months at a time.

The latest fail is a stupid simple bushing in the front wheel axle and wheel hub. This piece of junk doesn't even have real bearings in the wheels. So I ordered two of them two weeks ago and the part is still out of stock. Spring monsoons are here and I need to mow. I've looked around and don't have any pipe laying around the right size to serve as a temp fix.

My intuition says the part comes from China.
GAWD!

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Can you send a picture of the parts you need. If it is just bushing I could make it on my small lathe. I would need the dimensions also. Send me a pm with the info and I will check it out.

Les, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Weird.

I have the same brand riding mower. It's about the same age as yours. Probably 80-90 hours on it. I've never broken a single thing on it. Other than cutting blades, it's 100% original.

One of us must be doing something wrong.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Luck of the draw, some of the same models are better than others. I bought my Troy-Bilt tiller in 1982 , the 1st year they had the 7 HP Kohler motor + used it with great success for 30+ years until the motor finally crapped. The repair shop told me they could repair the 7 HP Kohler (cast) or replace it with a new 8 HP Briggs for only a few dollars more. My mistake that I went with the Briggs. I'm sure there was one happy mechanic that took my old cast Kohler engine home. Mad

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Ann,

Can you send a picture of the parts you need. If it is just bushing I could make it on my small lathe. I would need the dimensions also. Send me a pm with the info and I will check it out.

Les, retired gunsmith

I'll volunteer too, then you'll have a spare.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Weird.

I have the same brand riding mower. It's about the same age as yours. Probably 80-90 hours on it. I've never broken a single thing on it. Other than cutting blades, it's 100% original.

One of us must be doing something wrong.

Operator?

Man v Woman? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The repair shop told me they could repair the 7 HP Kohler (cast) or replace it with a new 8 HP Briggs for only a few dollars more. My mistake that I went with the Briggs. I'm sure there was one happy mechanic that took my old cast Kohler engine home.

Yes, you did make a mistake! My dads Kohler lasted for over twenty years.

The new craftsman I bought is junk in my opinion. The cub cadet was worse.

Hope you get the issue ironed out Ann

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
The repair shop told me they could repair the 7 HP Kohler (cast) or replace it with a new 8 HP Briggs for only a few dollars more. My mistake that I went with the Briggs. I'm sure there was one happy mechanic that took my old cast Kohler engine home.

Yes, you did make a mistake! My dads Kohler lasted for over twenty years.

The new craftsman I bought is junk in my opinion. The cub cadet was worse.

Hope you get the issue ironed out Ann

Jason,

Not verified but someone along the way told me the same manufacturer makes Craftsman, Husqy, Cub, etc now. All are junk these days. Definitely not built to last.

I'll get some measurements today for you metalsmiths. I very much appreciate your help.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Luck of the draw, some of the same models are better than others. I bought my Troy-Bilt tiller in 1982 , the 1st year they had the 7 HP Kohler motor + used it with great success for 30+ years until the motor finally crapped. The repair shop told me they could repair the 7 HP Kohler (cast) or replace it with a new 8 HP Briggs for only a few dollars more. My mistake that I went with the Briggs. I'm sure there was one happy mechanic that took my old cast Kohler engine home. Mad

Ouch.

Not sure the new Kohlers are as good anymore. This Husqy has a Kohler engine. It seems most of these things carry good brand names but are made of pot metal and plastic in China.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well as they say, hindsight is 20/20. We live + learn. But the early Kohler cast moters were very superior. I still have all the attachments as that model came with a PTO. I.E chipper/shredder, etc. Not to mention that it was/is the best roto-tiller on the market.When I bought it, I borrowed the $1000.00 from my bank in Walburg + my banker (another old Kraut) told me that I had better not miss a payment as he had been wanting a tiller just like that for quite some time. Well the note was paid off + just for grins we tilled his garden for free.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the early 80s my good friend and mentor (ww11 vet and retired dea) gave me his troy bilt pony tiller if i would till his small back yard for him to plant asparagas. he took it to the farm and dropped it off. was a 70s model and a wreck. it caught fire the first time i used it. threw dirt on it to put it out. took it to the shop and my youngest son and i rebuilt it front to back. had to torch the axles to get the wheels off. we also ran a small engine repair so rebuilt the gas leaking B&S. put hardened tines on it etc. i have had 2 of their biggest tillers since then, one a 60s model i found at an auction for $50. and a 90s model. sold all but the pony. we have moved 2x since 2001 and it still sits in my shed. in fact i just harvested chard, lettuce, and spinach for dinner tonight in the garden i tilled with it. the troy bilts i see at the big box stores are a fukkin joke. crap

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought mine you could only order from the Troy-Bilt factory + was the most powerful in their line at that time. The 7 horse Kohler also had the PTO so I could disengage my tine assembly + use other attachments like a chipper shredder, etc.