New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazing Chinese economy Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
From the economist

Because China is so populous and is developing so quickly, it is responsible for a remarkable share of global change. Since the start of the financial crisis in 2008, for example, China has accounted for 45% of the gain in world GDP. In 1990 some 750m Chinese people lived in extreme poverty; today fewer than 10m do. That represents two-thirds of the world’s decline in poverty during that time. China is also responsible for half of the total increase in patent applications over the same period.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If it was not for China all American high tech companies would be bankrupt clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If not for American (and Japanese) high tech companies, China would still be struggling just to grow enough rice and pork (wonderful barbecued pork).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If not for American (and Japanese) high tech companies, China would still be struggling just to grow enough rice and pork (wonderful barbecued pork).

We have an old proverb “only pigs eat pigs!” clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, that accounts for all of Asia as well as the West.
You poor folks forced to live with kosher/hallal rules will never know the joy of bacon and eggs for breakfast, or a nice ham and Swiss on rye.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
You poor folks forced to live with kosher/hallal rules will never know the joy of bacon and eggs for breakfast, or a nice ham and Swiss on rye.

hilbily

Is there anything better than bacon? I mean really?

Ounce for ounce, it's the most flavorful meat in the world!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

I’m not usually a straight-up steak guy but I recently had a filet from grass-ranged Boran cattle and it was the best damn piece of meat I’ve ever had.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

You wouldn't want a 12 ounce piece of bacon. It would be overpowering.

Steak yes. Bacon no.

That's why I stated, Ounce for Ounce, it's the most flavorful meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

Steak yes. Bacon no.

Who eats a 12 ounce steaks ?

A real steak starts at 24 Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

Steak yes. Bacon no.

Mike

Pfffft. 24? Try this on for size.

https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/

faint

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Damn! Now that's making me hungry. Years ago I worked with a heavy set guy who said, "Boys, there's only one thing in this life that's better than banana pudding.........Pecan Pie."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

Steak yes. Bacon no.

Mike

faint

Tourist gimmick. Like needing to hunt Africa with a double rifle Big Grin

Some impressive consumers of beef in the record holders. Eating 72 ounces of beef in 20-22 min is a feat.

I will end up one day at the big Texan but I will pass on the 72 ounce steak.

The 40-48 once bone in prime ribeye at Costco look mighty tempting.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I just read about cooking my breakfast bacon in an air fryer. Will try this. I must be a pig because I love eating pig!
Those that wish to can continue to be satisfied with far lesser meats such as goat and mutton, poor devils.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read about cooking my breakfast bacon in an air fryer. Will try this. I must be a pig because I love eating pig!
Those that wish to can continue to be satisfied with far lesser meats such as goat and mutton, poor devils.

hilbily

Bake yer bacon. Best way to get consistent results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yessir, cooking bacon in the oven is the best and easy way to cook bacon. You also get pure bacon fat to cook with.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never tried to bake bacon in the oven; I've always cooked it on the stovetop in a cast-iron spider. There's always grease left from that too, + it is great to fry the eggs in.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, + Bill, if we are what we eat, I must be quite a conglomeration of many animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like to do bacon in the oven as well.

The reason most suicide bombers are islamic......no bacon, no beer....they have nothing to live for Wink

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hilbily

Steak Big Grin

Mike

Steak yes. Bacon no.

Mike

faint

Tourist gimmick. Like needing to hunt Africa with a double rifle Big Grin

Some impressive consumers of beef in the record holders. Eating 72 ounces of beef in 20-22 min is a feat.

I will end up one day at the big Texan but I will pass on the 72 ounce steak.

The 40-48 once bone in prime ribeye at Costco look mighty tempting.

Mike

Ever since my Dad took us on an extended tour, driving the western United States when I was 10 years old, eating at The Big Texan has been almost a ritual for me passing through Amarillo. Whenever I drive through on the way to a hunt, eating there is mandatory!!!

I've never attempted the 72 oz steak but their more reasonable offerings are far from just a "tourist gimmick". They have some really great steaks on offer. Yeah, the cowboy decor is a gimmick but don't let that fool you when you go. You'll be in for some good eatin, Tejas style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old hotel at Fort Peck sells a 20-ounce T-bone that was possibly the best one of my lifetime.

I like grilling antelope tidbits wrapped in bacon, works for goose breast as well.

For breakfast these days, Canadian bacon sauteed in olive oil. Healthy fat...

What seems like a very long time ago, I knew a Jewish kid who bought a Big Mac on his way home from school.
He snuck it into his bedroom in his book bag, locked the door, and ate it out of curiosity.
I believe that g_d forgave him, and his mother never knew.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the economist
China is also responsible for half of the total increase in patent applications over the same period.

Mike

I wonder if they try to defend theirs in court since they have no problem blatantly stealing everyone else's patents without consequence.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
quote:
From the economist
China is also responsible for half of the total increase in patent applications over the same period.

Mike

I wonder if they try to defend theirs in court since they have no problem blatantly stealing everyone else's patents without consequence.

Doubt it.

But the real barrier to technology theft and intellectual property theft has always been technology.

If a country does not have a necessary science and technological base it cannot steal intellectual property.

Zimbabwe ain’t stealing anyone’s ip. China is and can and the reason is the breath of their science and manufacturing base.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4giig3-FY

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:

I doubt it too. My theory at this point is, find a market niche that China hasn't discovered yet and fill it. If it's too small to merit their attention you might go a long time with it, otherwise run it out six months and move on when they arrive on your doorstep.

There are numerous stories from companies who've gotten RMAs that look a little like their stuff but was made in China and peddled elsewhere.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortune 500

Us companies 121
Chinese companies 119
Taiwanese companies 10

Add China and Taiwan (pretty integrated economies) its 129.

China alone will soon exceed the us on the Fortune 500.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their mindset is totally different from ours. Theft of Ideas is completely acceptable, not like here (I can't believe I just said that), but they do get away with it. Hey. I've got a novel idea; why don't we just pull out all the chocks + see what will float + what will not. Survivor of the fittest has ALWAYS been the 'law of the jungle'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my old friends + neighbors was a consul to China in the 70s + speaks fluent Mandarin. Anyway, under discussion one day about 30 years ago Ken made the comment; knowing that I am a voracious reader to check out the Chinese mindset by reading James Clavell. Since I already had + still have all of his works I did again. Quite true, as close as a westerner can get to the Chinese mindset. If nothing else, they are great reading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + IMO, skip King Rat, the 1st of the Asian saga starring George Segal in the movie. It was a waste of film. Shogun was a good book as well. The rest of the series from "Tai-Pan" through "Whirlwind". was VERY good. James lived in the orient + gives a good perception of Asian thinking.