Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Strange Names Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
I was looking at a bag of M&M, the chocolate covered peanuts.

On the bag is says SODANESE BEANS.

Locally, we call peanuts MONKEY SHIT.

Pistachios we call HORSE'S TEETH.

I am not kidding, going to the shop and asking for monkey shit and horse's teeth is what we do if we wanted peanuts and pistachios.

Then I remembered that we call the CALF on one's leg TUNA!

Why do you call it CALF and us TUNA?

Very strange!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have heard cashews referred to as, well, it’s an inappropriate term probably used only in the southern US.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well. if you look in the Austin.Tx. phonme book you will find someone called Henadore Titzoff. A 'buddy?' brought this to my attention + asked me to pronounce it ,; I did + he said, no, you got it all wrong, it's pronounced "He gnawed her tits off!" I suppose we all have friends like that somewhere.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DRSS, I can only assume that you are referring to "nigger toes" which is NOT a cashew but is known as a Brazil nut. Damned tasty too.!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear I thought we might be discussing names used by certain areas in the US.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
DRSS, I can only assume that you are referring to "nigger toes" which is NOT a cashew but is known as a Brazil nut. Damned tasty too.!

Yes, the cashew. I held back in fear of being banned.

Thank goodness I don’t know any Brazilian nuts.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to admit that I knew Brazil nuts by the term Randy used, but have not heard it in 50 years. If I had used it at home as a kid, my parents would have censured me very firmly.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, Bill. When I was a kid my dad called my homemade slingshot a nxxxershooter. My Mom was appalled at the term. Well, he was from Texas + she from Ohio. Perhaps that was the difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I am very sorry to admit that I knew Brazil nuts by the term Randy used, but have not heard it in 50 years. If I had used it at home as a kid, my parents would have censured me very firmly.

I’m from the same era, that’s what Brazil nuts were called by everyone I knew (black folks, too) oddly enough two weeks ago in Mozambique one of the PH’s has a macadamia farm, he was describing the macadamia nut and said the shell was as hard as a US nigger toe. Hadn’t heard that in a long time…

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Karl, since you live in Texas then you are already aware that we have wildflowers in the spring by the same name.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well, Karl, since you live in Texas then you are already aware that we have wildflowers in the spring by the same name.

Yep…some years parts of my fields are covered in them.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do get some but primarily my place is covered with bluebonnets + Indian Paintbrushes. Some years better than others. I don't worry about the lean years since they have been growing here before folks arrived.