THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    primer needed on home security cameras

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer needed on home security cameras Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I'm about 20 years behind in technology ('techno challenged'). I have a decent monitored alarm system on my residence and have hardened it better than most.

Now I want to install a couple cameras. Not sure of the terminology nor the format I will end up with. Money is an object and I want to keep it simple. But I do want to be able to capture decent images of some approaches to my entry ways and choke points within my house with motion sensor devices.

Suggestions? Websites to learn this stuff on? At the end of the day I want to be able to have some video of somebody messing with my sliding glass door and or attempting to steal my lawn mower from the garage. I can run wire if necessary and have a good place to conceal both the cameras and control/recording devices with AC power available.

Suggestions please.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
On the cheap, a rott or a doberman and underground or wireless fence to keep em in the yard. Nothing says hello better than a dog. You ever notice, most criminals are terrified by em. shocker

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same thoughts from time to time. Cams mean lights if you want to see anything in detail. That's where I have issues. I keep my lot as dark as possible.

Sliding glass doors are weak spots in security usually.

If I find a good site dealing with this, I'll post the link.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Nope, can't do the vicious dog thing as we currently have a resident dog that can't be displaced. He will bark when appropriate and is tough on anything else furry but is otherwise a lick-you-to-death variety. Plus from professional experience I don't trust such dogs around grandkids and other such innocents. Too often they can't be turned off and that is simply not acceptable. I've had to whack such dogs (as one of the good guys) and don't find them as a good option.

Lighting isn't much a problem due to dusk-to-dawn and motion detector dual-bright lighting currently in position.

Am looking for recordable and affordable camera surveillance system.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Most systems need higher resultion to see facial features/lic plates at night. Unfortunatly High res and affordable don't mix. My buddy's manufacturing bussiness got a very high end system with high res infared cameras but was still foiled by a simple ball cap pulled down. He ended up with a night watchman.

Motion lights and decent monitored home alarm system are about the best deterent for the price IMO since a good guard dog is not an option.

FWIW, My rotty never had a problem in the 13 years I had him. But lord help you if you came in my house when I wasn't there.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote