New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to NYC Oct 7th-11th Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Will have all day on the 8th-10th to get out and about. Will be staying at a friends she mentioned central park, brooklyn bridge,
So I mentioned something to her about gun stores and she said she would love to go to a shooting range.. Said she shot a couple times a long time ago and that she loved it. She lives in Manhattan.
Any recommendations on must see places?
Any ranges that her and I could go and rent a couple handguns just to go bang a few times?
Any gunstores or other interesting places that I should see?
Keep in mind I will only have three full days.. Thanks

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read about only one gunstore or gunsmith in all of NYC. He and his wife build custom 10/22s. Other than that, I seriously doubt you'll find a store anywhere in or near the city that thinks guns cause crime. PM George Semel (GeorgeS or George S in these pages); he lives in NYC. Maybe he can clue you in on things to see and do. If I had the opportunity, I'd go to the Ellis Island exhibit and look up whom I might be if my ancestors came from Europe during the immigration period from about 1890 to the mid-1920s.

There are tons of places to eat in NYC. Just choose your cuisine and bring a dumptruck full of money. I paid $20 for a big bowl of spaghetti and a salad at a place called The Gardenia way back in 1997. It is (maybe was, by now) just a block or two from East 66th Street and 4th Avenue in the Central Park area. Expect to add at least a 20% tip to restaurant meals. Expect to pay a fortune for anything you eat. Expect to pay a huge sales tax on everything you buy. Expect to be happy as hell to get out of there when you leave. I was, and I had free accommodations for just the one night I was there. Clintoon was in town the day I left, and getting out of the city was madness. There were closed streets and cops everywhere. I was never so glad to get off Manhattan, out of New York state and onto I-78 heading towards Virginia...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lived on the upper east side of Manhattan for about a year...

A free easy way to get to see some of the island is to ride the Staten Island Ferry...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
quote:

A free easy way to get to see some of the island is to ride the Staten Island Ferry...

How much time does this take??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search here for"Hunting stores in New York City"in American hunting forum...

Museum of Natural History is a must.Cheap to get in (volunteer payment)good if its raining.

Food is outstanding and does not have to be expensive.(but it aint KFC either).

Go to Chinatown or to little Italy,awesome eats.

If you like Cameras or electronics goto B+H photo (near Penn station are lots of camera stores including Cameraland,Doug posts here)
Lots of these are closed Friday afternoon and Saturday;lots of Jewish influence.

See Ground Zero for 9/11.

TV and Radio museum.

I would not want to live there,but it's great to visit,Like anywhere dont show large cash etc;but it's safe.My brother takes his 2 girls often...

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
quote:

How much time does this take??

Sorry Jarrod for not responding sooner...

It's been along time since I've been there and done that but I'd plan about 45 min both ways for a total of 1.5....

You've got to figure in time to let every one on and off the ferry...

Give yourself some time to get down to the station also (it's hard to get any where fast in NYC)...

You'll get to see Lady Liberty and some of the NYC skyline for free...

Also, up where I lived on east 82nd st there are some good pubs and decent night life on 2nd av (not nearly as expensive as some of the tourist traps in time square)...

I also liked Little Itally... "Angelo's" for fine dinning and "La meala" for an experience all its own...

Try to do some of the touristy stuff also, go to the top of Empire state, check out grand central station, central park, st Patricks cathedral, and time square at night (just don't stay there too late un less you've got Charlie Bronson with ya Wink

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is always Holland & Holland on 10 East 40th Street. Assuming it's still there.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Jarrod:

How was your trip?

I grew-up in Philadelphia, and when high school came along, I spent a lot of time in NYC getting some street smarts. Lots of cool places and diamonds in the rough.

I'm just curious what you experienced.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Jarrod:

How was your trip?

I grew-up in Philadelphia, and when high school came along, I spent a lot of time in NYC getting some street smarts. Lots of cool places and diamonds in the rough.

I'm just curious what you experienced.

I went there to visit a friend that is staying in Manhattan. I stayed in manhattan the whole time. I mainly just did the tourist thing. You know empire state building, ground zero, central park etc. etc. Overall I had a very good time but wish I would of had a few more days to spend. I felt like I was kind of enclosed. I don't think I would want to raise a family there. Just wasn't my cup of tea.. There were plenty of good looking women though Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fondly remember a long afternoon spent in Abercromby and Finch a life time ago. Went into one recently and asked where the guns and fishing tackle were. LOL
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

Is it smart to let a far-left Marxist with 143 days in the Senate run over the Constitution with a Democrat Congress?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote