Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Charges Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have 2 Bass Pro credit cards and one Cabelas card. I recently came into some unexpected money and decided to use it to pay off my credit cards. All of my cards came with a zero balance except for my two Bass Pro cards. Bass Pro charged me interest on the full balance between the time of posting to the time my check was cashed and cleared the bank!! Needless to say I was appalled and and angry. I called Customer Service and politely but forcefully expressed my shock and dismay over this business practice. They explained this now SOP. But since I have been a loyal and long time customer and never missed or made a late payment they would make a one time waiver of the interest charges. I wonder if they will charge interest on the interest accrued between the time I paid off the bill. The total amount waived totaled less $70 but if not for the waiver would they have charged me interest on the interest? I think from now on if I am forced to use Bass Pro or Cabelas I will either pay cash or use another credit card.

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I no longer have credit cards. Cash is king.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I pay for damn near everything with a card but pay the monthly balance in full every month, so never any interest. Meanwhile I accrue American Airlines miles and use those to fly for free. I rarely pay for a plane ticket and almost never write a check. Works well for me.I haven’t carried a credit card balance in many years.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The credit card companies have a name for customers who pay off their bill on a monthly basis, 'deadbeat'. Really. As to hidden charges, look at your phone bill + find Universal Fee. That one is for you to provide free cel phones to the welfare recipients. They had an interview with one Tawana Jackson who said, "I gets me a new one every month when I goes down to pick up my 'entitlements.'" I read that in National Revue.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The credit card companies have a name for customers who pay off their bill on a monthly basis, 'deadbeat'. Really. As to hidden charges, look at your phone bill + find Universal Fee. That one is for you to provide free cel phones to the welfare recipients. They had an interview with one Tawana Jackson who said, "I gets me a new one every month when I goes down to pick up my 'entitlements.'" I read that in National Revue.

My $48 landline (ya I know) costs me $72 due to those "Fees" being added on.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The credit card companies have a name for customers who pay off their bill on a monthly basis, 'deadbeat'. Really.
I had someone point this out to me years ago. I never have a CC balance and thought I was being a good customer because the cards get used frequently. Because they're not raking me over the coals for interest, I'm a "terrible credit card customer".

This is one instance where I'm totally fine with being terrible at something.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CC for everything that will take CC's. The kick back on my acct. is over $500 per year. Nothing makes me mad more than waiting to buy something and wait for someone to find their check book, check their balance in the book, and then need help in them writing the check.

I have paid one interest charge 30 yrs ago when I had someone pickup my mail, and this was before I had a PC. Paid off every month when the bill ends for that month since that time.

I have not bought or financed anything on credit since the Ford Junker Diesel pickup in 1985. Last week the phone company wants to put my acct. on auto pay with their own approved CC acct, so I applied online and was turned down for not having a credit report showing my records. I was going to get a reduction of $20 a month off my acct. of $169 per month. I just keep paying my phone bill and get my kick back points. What will happen if we loose the use of PC's online? That day may come soon and the winter may return with O degrees in central Texas. I have tried to get diesel generator and Motorhome ready with the additives to keep diesel fuel from jelling. I hope we have the food and electric ok for now.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Target card when my youngest was starting Kindergarten (he's 31 now) as I bought his clothes there. I don't hardly ever use it but I went in the other day to buy a watch + their new policy is if you don't use your card for 6 months, it's canceled, regardless of your credit score or payment history. IMO, So they can keep it + the watch too.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that being said, I keep my Cabela's + USSA cards. I had to use my Cabelas card a couple of years ago because one of my machines broke some cog teeth + a shaft. It cost me over $7K for the parts. I don't keep that much in my wallet so I had to put it on the card or not use my equipment. Kinda a moot point now as I can't get any metal or what I can get is now almost tripled in price. For that I use the Cabelas card because I get points. I hope they will still honor them, I've accumulated them over the years to use on something I would never spend the money on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always have one or two CCs. I use them for almost everything. Have never paid a cent in interest on them in my 50 years of having CCs.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you pay them off in entirety there should be no service charges. It is a national problem for those who don't know how to budget. I read in the National Revue that during the 2020 lock down pandemic that Wells Fargo made over $24 million in service charges. Boy oh boy, Diners Club really opened Pandoras box in the mid 50s by starting the credit card scheme