THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Texas Woman's Winning Derby Bet Is 'Unheard Of'

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Woman's Winning Derby Bet Is 'Unheard Of' Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
Anyone with great wins?

Justify's owners walked away with $1.43 million after the colt won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, reports the AP. A woman in Austin, Texas, who picked him to win ended up with just a hair less—$1.2 million.

Her incredible bet cost her just $18 and involved a Pick 5 wager, in which she had to select the winners of five consecutive races, in her case, the final five of the day.

And Margaret Reid nailed it, reports My San Antonio, correctly choosing Limousine Liberal as winner of the day's 8th race, the Churchill Downs Stakes; then Maraud in the American Turf Stakes; Funny Duck (and his 39-1 odds) in the Pat Day Mile; Yoshida in the Old Forester Turf Classic; and then, of course, Justify.

She made the bet at the Retama Park racetrack in Selma, Texas, on Saturday, and a rep for the track called Reid's win "extremely rare" in comments to ABC News.
"To bet that little amount of money and win $1.2 million is unheard of. In fact, it's the first time it's happened at Retama." The park's manager says "she was in the sports bar when it happened. The whole bar went nuts." (The queen's horses have brought in far more money.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Texas Woman's Winning Derby Bet Is 'Unheard Of'

Posts: 1069 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$18.... faint

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good for her.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Good for her.

Hopefully she has the money sense to hold on to it for more then a few years.

A large percentage of big winners blow their winnings in a relatively short time.

Posts: 19337 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wondering if the $1.2 only gets the betting sheet even for her. Bet this wasn't her first rodeo... and probably won't be her last.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A large percentage of big winners blow their winnings in a relatively short time.

Yes, but they have a lot of fun doing it!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, more women should bet ? Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the farmer that won the lottery. The news folks asked him what he was gonna do with all that money + he said,I guess I'll keep on farming until it's all gone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reminds me of the farmer that won the lottery. The news folks asked him what he was gonna do with all that money + he said,I guess I'll keep on farming until it's all gone.

And that is just exactly how it works. tu2 tu2