THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Gander Mountain - How to go bankrupt in the outdoor business

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mountain - How to go bankrupt in the outdoor business Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Stopped by gander mountain in lake Mary Florida.

CRTK outrage $69.99

Same knive

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ray-aluminum-handles

On Amazon $37

At Academy across the street $23 on clearance.

The pricing at gander is not in sync with its competitors.

When every consumer now has a smart phone and can check price on Amazon or google shopping in a second, gander just cannot charge the prices it does.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one in middletown NY was crazy with prices. Not sure how they made it this long.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
The one in middletown NY was crazy with prices. Not sure how they made it this long.

I know that store very well. Would stop by every time I was going to pa from NYC or Ct.

Crazy gun demand sustained them from 2008-2016.

I also find bass pro very expensive relative to Amazon.

Only academy competes with Amazon

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the price is the ability to boast, I bought that at Gander Mountain. More social status than saying Wall Mart. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60's I bought a lot of mail order stuff from G.M. Times have changed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same in the Minneapolis area. I browse their store 2-3 times a year. Their prices are stupid high on many things. Example, last time I looked, 25# of lead shot, $60. I can buy it from $39-$49 many places.
I don't understand how they think they can compete.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same problem in Texas. They can't compete with Walmart, Academy, or Cabela's price-wise.

GM just opened a new store in Frisco within the past year. Big flurry of action the first weekend. I bought a pair of boots, some deer corn and a couple of blocks. I bought a few gun cleaning incidentals. Then they went to regular pricing and that was that. I bought one half-priced hog call a few weeks ago. GM has announced store closings and I suspect the Frisco store won't last another year. There were twelve cars in the parking lot the last time I went in, and I was told the employees were told to park out front. I saw two other customers. It's sad.

At Cabela's you can hardly find anyone to assist you. At Gander Mountain they gang-up on you three at a time.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go and check out chicken hill whenever I get a chance, but they never have anything that I am looking for at a price that I will pay.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting I read this thread. I got the email from Gander Mountain the other day the local store is going out of business. Me and the GF head over there yesterday expecting "total liquidation" and what I find is a MAX 20% discount (on clothing) and no returns/exchanges policy. When you're 20-30% higher than the competition and you "liquidate" at 10% off - er - it ain't a good deal.

I like Gander Mountain and have purchased stuff there in the past, but this is a bit silly.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote