New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real estate realities Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One would think that with all the new house's adding to the tax base.
They would be able to lower the amount collected from each house.

You used a key word: "think". This word does not apply to government regulations, regardless of party.

I sold a lot a few weeks back. My buyer has to pay $6,000 for the privilege to hook on to the water.
I further read the regulations for this development and found that the new phase will cost $12,000 to
hook on to water. This is in addition to the other "impact" fees that will be charged.

What a mess....

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on my post of last night.

Looks like that 94 y/o widow had a stroke today.
No response, can't talk, just sits and stares.
Hauled her to to the Hosp in the wagon after first aid finished.

Looks like she's done.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
One would think that with all the new house's adding to the tax base.
They would be able to lower the amount collected from each house.

You used a key word: "think". This word does not apply to government regulations, regardless of party.

I sold a lot a few weeks back. My buyer has to pay $6,000 for the privilege to hook on to the water.
I further read the regulations for this development and found that the new phase will cost $12,000 to
hook on to water. This is in addition to the other "impact" fees that will be charged.

What a mess....

When we left, Smithfield was trying to decide whether to fund a municipal sewer system or run a pipeline to the one Logan had.
There was a substantial charge in either case to residents. We had a septic tank at the time.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This what is crazy.

Home prices are skyrocketing.

Home builder stocks are in the dump.

https://www.google.com/finance...cFegQIBBAY&window=1Y

I cannot believe how out of whack the central Florida market is - I bet Austin Arizona North Carolina ect are all in the same craziness.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read recently that Pueblo West CO. Is charging $40,000 for a water tap.

They cut off building permits in Jan, reopened for 400 homes for this year early this month.

Takes deep bank accounts and income to support such costs on top of building expenses.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
George, isn't your primary water source snowmelt? I think that is good ideas from your permit folks to limit the growth when in real fear of lack of water. Down here the buck talks + they are throwing up neighborhoods with no concern that the water table will not support it. Then on top of that, increase the tax base. Just got my new appraisal yesterday on my adjoining 5 acres; seems like in their opinion it went up in value 350K in one year.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
my adjoining 5 acres; seems like in their opinion it went up in value 350K in one year.

Eeker

Well the tax man will cometh. Highway robbery.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, legalized theft. Since the lion's share is for the school districts, I say, let the realtors pay for it; they are the only ones benefitting.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How crazy is real estate. I was looking at some real estate in north Florida. Hunting recreational land.

The sellers real estate agent told my agent that the property is priced higher than recent comps based on improvements made to real estate structure.

The real estate structure is a 2004 mobile home!!!

The sellers real estate agent said only cash buyers as no bank would finance the property at price the seller is asking.

This is the craziness in the market.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Yep, legalized theft. Since the lion's share is for the school districts, I say, let the realtors pay for it; they are the only ones benefitting.

Yes Norman, quite right. Who are Realtors to think they’d deserve a commission. I’m sure most, if not all would gladly do so Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You seem to miss the point. I am a capitalist + believe that everyone who is willing to work to get ahead deserves their pay. I have a problem with being forced to finance ostentatious school districts that are more concerned with a 5A football team because it promts folks to move here + thus increases EVERYONE'S tax burden.Thereby the only ones winning in this population explosion are the realtors. Those of us who are retired + have no kids in school are just screwed; not to mention how they waste the money; our last high school spent the 1st money on a new football stadium, a weight room for the jocks before evwen starting on the school, + when they got done spending all the money, the kids still had no lockers.One local realtor I was talking to said that he moved to Theon because he couldn't afford to live here anymore. So I asked him, "So who's fault is that?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
You seem to miss the point. I am a capitalist + believe that everyone who is willing to work to get ahead deserves their pay. I have a problem with being forced to finance ostentatious school districts that are more concerned with a 5A football team because it promts folks to move here + thus increases EVERYONE'S tax burden.Thereby the only ones winning in this population explosion are the realtors. Those of us who are retired + have no kids in school are just screwed; not to mention how they waste the money; our last high school spent the 1st money on a new football stadium, a weight room for the jocks before evwen starting on the school, + when they got done spending all the money, the kids still had no lockers.One local realtor I was talking to said that he moved to Theon because he couldn't afford to live here anymore. So I asked him, "So who's fault is that?"

Norman:

I have nothing personal against you and actually believe you are one of the good guys on here.
Likely, we agree on more than you might think. My reply was directed at the "let the realtors pay for it" comment you made. As a part time realtor (and educator), I believe with part of what you say. I likewise believe that citizens should not pay high taxes to fund athletics.

If you are a capitalist, why do you want to "let the realtors pay for it" Smiler. I can assure you that I would make more money if the real estate prices would stabilize. These higher interest rates and fast rising prices reduces the demand for clients. I can also assure you that the Realtors do not drive the market, the buyer and seller do.

I shake my head at these prices. Similar to Beretta's story about the trailer..... Last summer, I had recent widow come to me wanting to sell her single wide trailer that her and her late husband had fixed up. They had done a good job with the renovation but the trailer was still from the 80's. I asked her what she wanted to sell it for. She said $199,000. As she requested, I listed it for $199,000. Two people got into a bidding war and it sold for $215,000. "Capitalism" certainly benefited my seller and I was more than happy for her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I have no ax to grind with you either. That being said, those who profit from the sales of 'said' products should be responsible for paying any fees + NOT be dependent on the current populace to pay it for them. As you freely admit your semi-employment into the school systems, then I hardly need to make you aware of the graft called "Administrators". That is one of the biggest money sewers in our school systems + there will be nothing done about it because it is still the "good old boy" network + all concerned are making too much money to change. Meanwhile MY BITCH is being forced to finance it!