THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    what's your "daily driver" strategy for autos?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what's your "daily driver" strategy for autos? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
My wife and I have adopted a rather conservative approach to auto transport. My driver is a 2000 Ford Taurus (119K miles) that I bought off a lady for $1. She had lost her license due to a DUI and the car needed repairs that cost more than it was worth. I had to put $3,600 into it after my AAA membership paid to have it towed. Got a new tranny, rack and pinion, and water pump. That was 3 years ago and the car is utterly reliable. It gets 30 mpg interstate and is super clean inside. I drove these for 20 years as a salesman and was well familiar with them. Repair parts are plentiful and cheap. Vicki drives a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT. It is our family truck. Go anywhere do anything. 227,000 miles and uses a quart of oil every 4,000 miles! Over the years the only significant things we've had to do were replace the water pump, re-build tranny, and do shocks and struts.

When we travel though we leave these troopers at home. What we do is rent a new car from a national company and travel in that. My thinking is if the damn thing breaks down all I need to do is call the company and get it replaced with another one. If I have to spend a night in a hotel they have to pay for it. Can't do that if you own it.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A vehicle ain't worth a damn until its paid for!!!! Especially if you are using it to make money!

A vehicle is the worst investment most people make.

Now, if you want a fancy new vehicle, its your money, go for it.......

My 2500HD has 230k miles and has been paid for a long time, it makes me a lot of money.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad strategy. Cars are an unnecessarily expensive part of life. I have my wife drive a new car, and I take her used cars or cars from our grown kids, rather than have them get beat on a trade-in. Suits me fine. I always buy new cars for cash. Most of my neighbors buy a new car every 2-3 years, and are stuck in the endless cycle of car payments and depreciation. You'll burn a lot of money in a lifetime getting on that merry-go-round.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F-150
Cadillac CTS that I got from my mom - she no longer drives
Honda Accord for my dog

I need to get rid of the Honda and make The damn Cadillac into a dog car.

I finance my cars all day long if I get zero percent financing.

I will probably never buy another car - only trucks going forward.

The f-150 is a good truck. Worth $60k if I keep it for 10-15 years and drive it for 200k miles.

The only negative I see in a f150 size truck is parking. They are perfect for
Road trips
Going to the range - can lock all the stuff
Driving around town - 2 miles less per gallon than the Honda Accord (v6) in city driving
Driving people around - the back seat has more leg room than a 7 series bmw

Cars are bad investment but they have taxidermy beat by a mile Big Grin

I also get far more enjoyment from driving my car from 75k to 250k miles than I do from driving a new car 0-25k miles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
You guys and your 100K to 200K Fords! Gotta know the end is near once those turds turn over to 6 digits of mileage!!

rotflmo

2004 Cummins Diesel Dodge 2400 HD 4WD. Not a pavement queen. Driven hard and long, off road, pulling a 41' fifth wheel. Currently 430,000 miles and showing no signs of slowing. Been paid off now for 13 years. Requires a little maintenance from time to time. Maybe $1,000 a year worth of work. Still on the original transmission without a rebuild either.

DODGE!!!!

patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is remarkable about newer cars - circa 2000 onwards. They form majority of the car stock in the us these days.

How dependable and useful they are.

The average age of a car in the us is approaching 11.8 years.

Consumers sell their cars far earlier than the useful life of the car.

Merle Haggard in 1981 was writing songs wishing a Ford and Chevy lasted 10 years.

My truck which is 5 years old and 80k miles has never been parked indoors. I use it, rarely wash it, use if off road and for hunting. The paint on it looks as good as the day I bought it.

The quality of autos has significantly improved.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
You guys and your 100K to 200K Fords! Gotta know the end is near once those turds turn over to 6 digits of mileage!!

rotflmo

2004 Cummins Diesel Dodge 2400 HD 4WD. Not a pavement queen. Driven hard and long, off road, pulling a 41' fifth wheel. Currently 430,000 miles and showing no signs of slowing. Been paid off now for 13 years. Requires a little maintenance from time to time. Maybe $1,000 a year worth of work. Still on the original transmission without a rebuild either.

DODGE!!!!

patriot

Agreed!!

'96 12V 5.9 152,000 miles, back-up daily driver. Perfect Zombie Apocalypse rig, fully mechanical.

'06 5.9 dually. 184,000 miles. Loaded with Bigfoot Truck Camper 99% of the time.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7572 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my best customers is a 25 yr Ford mechanic and he says these models I have are good to at least 300K if maintained before engine rebuild. Even then it is only $2,500 for a motor. Not an issue since we only drive local short distance and are in our late 60's. Your diesel is a fortune to maintain or replace when it croaks. My step son has four diesel trucks and they bleed him dry. 400k+ on any tranny is incredible especially if towing.

quote:

rotflmo

DODGE!!!!

patriot

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
One of my best customers is a 25 yr Ford mechanic and he says these models I have are good to at least 300K if maintained before engine rebuild. Even then it is only $2,500 for a motor. Not an issue since we only drive local short distance and are in our late 60's. Your diesel is a fortune to maintain or replace when it croaks. My step son has four diesel trucks and they bleed him dry. 400k+ on any tranny is incredible especially if towing.

quote:

rotflmo

DODGE!!!!

patriot

LOL. Do a search here for the thread on K Evan's experience with his new FORD! I've had 5 of them over the years, starting with a 1977 F-150. All pieces of shit. I used to say you need a good pair of walking shows with every Ford purchase. Now days, a cell phone will suffice!!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

quote:

rotflmo

DODGE!!!!

patriot

LOL. Do a search here for the thread on K Evan's experience with his new FORD! I've had 5 of them over the years, starting with a 1977 F-150. All pieces of shit. I used to say you need a good pair of walking shows with ever Ford purchase. Now days, a cell phone will suffice!!

clap

5 - Damn must be a slow learner Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
For road trips not involving cargo I have a '12 Impala (bought used) that's been very dependable. For farm/cargo I use a '03 grand caravan (bought used). It's a rust bucket but a work horse. It's all wheel drive. I pulled the rear seats out for all cargo space in the back. Paid for as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daily Driver Stateside - Jeep SRT Magnuson Blown

Daily Drivers Namibia:
    1993 Cruiser Single Cab
    2014 Cruiser Double Cab
    2016 Trailblazer Cummins Powered
    2000 Defender 130 - Currently in frame off restoration & repower
    2016 Defender 110
    2016 Volkswagen Amarok
    1980 Unimog 404
    BMW GS1250

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Topic!

I gave up on payments several years back. I have other things that I want to waste my money on Big Grin

Here is what I use:

2011 Toyota Rav 4 (work) 220k miles
2011 Nissan Frontier (work) 230k miles
2012 Nissan Frontier (work and a commuter) 152k miles
2012 Ford F-350 Diesel (Hunting and hauling) 160k miles
2017 Jeep Rubican (wife’s driver) 62k miles
2012 Ford Taurus (commuter/daily driver) 90k

Employees drive a few of these and a few of these started out
new. All have been great with the f-350 being my favorite.

I just put 7k in the Nissans. They now drive like new and
if they go another year, the 7k will have been worth it. They
have long since paid for themselves. The Nissans and Toyota’s
have been pounded in the oil field and have been great.

I’ll never finance a vehicle again (I hope). There are too many
good deals to be had. However, the new trucks that I’ve purchased
have certainly served me well.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last new car I owned was a Buick Riviera from 1985. I didn't own a car from 1990 to 2012. Lived out of the country and the company furnished me vehicle. I buy used, pay cash. Friends keep telling me what a great deal leasing a car is. I can't get my head around it. Doesn't sound as good as buying used, paying cash.

Now, my wife is another story. She wanted a new Nissan in 2012, since I was going to buy her a new Mercedes, I kept my mouth shut, bought the Murano, paid cash. She treats that car better than she treats me. At our ages, I doubt we will be buying any more cars.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lease is still calculated on the new car value and the end used car value. You're still paying based on full-till pricing and depreciation.

Buying used let's the other guy take the financial hit and you get to enjoy his financial sacrifice. There is no financial upside to purchasing new - it's just a - I-Want-It-Regardless-Of-Cost decision.

So a 1985 Buick Riviera - that was a chunk of Detroit metal.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drive a 1993 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins diesel and automatic transmission, which I bought new in 1992 just before moving to Connecticut (where the birds ruined the paint). I do change the transmission oil every 100k or so, ran Amsoil with fine filter in the engine since about 60k. There have been a few notable maintenance bills, last one was to change a leaking gasket on a cover over the valve tappets. That, and a few other items was expensive - they took the engine out to do the work. Our local Cummins shop will not work on a pre-2000 engine, which I think is not right. The local Dodge dealer was the only choice left, and when they refilled the transmission oil, they did not account for the presence of the factory transmission oil cooler or check the level correctly. It was down two quarts and they couldn't figure out why it didn't shift right. I suspect their mechanics weren't born yet when the truck was built. All of the electronics on the truck have failed, but the 12-valve engine has a mechanical fuel system and still runs. I added a switch on the steering column for the overdrive when the speedometer and ECM went south. A GPS bungied to the steering column is the speedometer now, doubles as an occasional map. The Road Atlas is behind the seat with the tools, where it always was.

We also have a 2001 Buick Century, which still has most of its original lamps and an untouched air conditioning system (do not mess with a working system - when you check the refrigerant pressure you disturb the schrader valve and it will leak). There have been a few bills on that one too, notably when I didn't change out the DexCool on schedule. Oops, but that is one of my common failings. It has not made 100k yet, but will. I do not expect to replace it in my remaining lifetime.

Days when I feel uppity and the weather's decent, we have a 1974 Honda CB200, with about 25k miles on it and grocery baskets on the back. My donkey...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old diesels rock and especially old Cummins diesels. Mechanical fuel injection systems also rock.

While ECUs are helpful to extract every bit of useable HP and torque, they can also brick a motor at the wrong time. Where I operate, that can mean a multi-day walkout in lion and ele country in 100 degree heat - on a cool day.

Modern diesels are a mechanical wonder, but when something goes south, it goes waaaaay south. And if you're out of warranty, the bills are insane and diesel mechanics are rare. Just ask anyone who had/has a Ford 6.0L Power Stroke.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Our local Cummins shop will not work on a pre-2000 engine, which I think is not right.

That makes zero sense. The 1998 & 1999 is the same as a 2000.

Why would they not want to work on a 12V (pre-98)

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the shop manual is too expensive. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Or the hearing aides needed after you stand next to a 12V with the hood up. dancing

It's insane how quiet our Diesel Rubicon is in comparison to our 12V.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Our local Cummins shop will not work on a pre-2000 engine, which I think is not right.

That makes zero sense. The 1998 & 1999 is the same as a 2000.

Why would they not want to work on a 12V (pre-98)

Agreed. I wasn't sure I heard the fellow right; one of the reasons to buy a Cummins is longevity.

Then I remembered that only one of the local motorcycle shops will work on a bike more than ten years old...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Or the hearing aides needed after you stand next to a 12V with the hood up. dancing

It's insane how quiet our Diesel Rubicon is in comparison to our 12V.

The new family of diesel engines are amazing but I don't trust an engine that doesn't rattle and make smoke...

Freakin snowflakes. 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortunately, so has the cost and difficulty of repair.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Unfortunately, so has the cost and difficulty of repair.

Grizz

Very true. Need to find a good mechanic if one wants to invest maintenance capital to extend auto life.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
That 1985 Buick Riviera was the only "lemon" I ever bought. The check engine light kept coming on after about ten (10) miles of driving. I took it back in multiple times. They never could fix the problem. I had my Maintenance Supervisor go over it with a fine-toothed comb. He noticed the engine oil was not circulating back to the oil pan efficiently. There was a restriction somewhere. When he popped the covers, oil poured out.

I took the Riviera and the Maintenance Supervisor back to the Buick dealer. The first thing they said when my guy explained what he found was, "oh, that". They said that some ports along the normal (oil) flow path proved to have too small a diameter, and oil wouldn't flow easily back to the pan. The problem couldn't be solved without costing a ton. They said they normally just disconnect the check-engine light.

We were dumb-founded by their solution. I managed to get to the owner of the dealership and he made me an equitable settlement and took the car back.

About a month later I got a call from some guy who said he had bought a Buick Riviera that showed me to have been the previous owner. He said the check-engine light kept coming on when he got about halfway between Midland and Odessa. I told him he better sit down, and told him the whole story. I don't know what action he took, but I kept watching the newspaper to see if anyone went "postal" at that car dealership.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Buick 307 was rife with engineering problems that were never resolved plus it was laden with the smog pump making it a dog.

The 80's sucked except for the Grand National. It was the only thing Buick got right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife drives a Tahoe. I drive a Silverado. Both pretty new, 19 and 20. We trade up at 80-90,000 miles, about every four years. We don’t finance or lease. Yes, I know we are not being the most economical. Reliability is of utmost importance. And I drive a corvette in the summer.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Wife drives a Tahoe. I drive a Silverado. Both pretty new, 19 and 20. We trade up at 80-90,000 miles, about every four years. We don’t finance or lease. Yes, I know we are not being the most economical. Reliability is of utmost importance. And I drive a corvette in the summer.

There is nothing wrong with that plan!

Much better than the ripoff “fleece” or financing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

When we lived in Logan we bought an demo AMC Eagle, a nearly perfect station wagon for there.

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

DODGE!!!!

patriot

Says the guy that just bought a new sports car.

Sheesh!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have 3 kids at home; 5, 7, and 9, and another kid and two grand children 1 and 2 in Virginia.

I live within 1.5 miles from work, and I walk to work 99% of the time.

We have a single vehicle, it is a Toyota Sequoia, because we were stupid and we made a comprimise of taking a full size SUV instead of having a full size truck and a Toyota Sienna minivan.

We should have just got the truck and put a topper on it, and still owned one vehicle.

But it hauls everyone, and is as reliable as any other vehicle I have ever had in my life (because it is a Toyota, and not a GM, Ford, or Dodge). I am on my 5th Toyota, having owned Mitusbishi, Nissan, GM/Hummer, Jeep Wranglers, and a Ford F150. And some old cheap cars that lasted forever that we paid cash for Toyota Camry, Jeep Cherokee and so on.

We also live on the Mexican border, and I don't need my wife and kids breaking down out in town.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

When we lived in Logan we bought an demo AMC Eagle, a nearly perfect station wagon for there.

Nice!

I have finally realized that the best remedy for driving here is snow tires and and/or 4 wheel drive.
Logan Canyon is rough....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have Light Truck off road tires on every work F-150 we use, and we have the same tires on the Sequoia.

4x4 is nothing without traction, and here in the desert thorns are our enemy.

When we lived in Alaska and my entire life growing up we always had snow tires. The 3 years I spent in Germany snow tires were required anytime there was snow on the ground. Basically O-bis-O OKtober bis Ostern (October to Easter).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are the tires.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/goo...1EAQYASABEgLs__D_BwE

They were on sale a month ago for $160, then it snowed here and now they are almost $300 mounted.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

rotflmo

DODGE!!!!

patriot

Says the guy that just bought a new sports car.

Sheesh!

I do believe the question was about daily drivers. Not toys!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, your a stinker.

Just thought it was funny how frugle your daily driver was, when you had such a neat NEW sports car in the garage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I drive a 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Paid cash for it. Just hauled a boned out elk home with it. Couldn't do that with my Mercedes.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2002 F150 and a 2007 dodge caravan both going strong.

Cost little to drive, to me vehicles are just equipment that one needs.

The lower the ownership cost and operating costs the better.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2015 Challenger RT...mid-life crisis car!
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
2018 Silverado 3500 HD 4x4, crew cab, standard box for towing what ever I want.
2017 Audi A4 for the wife. Gets great mileage. 40 mpg is not unheard of at 65 mph. 34 at 80 mph from Las Vegas to home in central CA.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote