Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glenkinchie Single Malt Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I tried this last weekend, I am hooked. I was an Oban or Glenfiddich guy but now I like this. Do all lowland scotches have this distinct flavor? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lowland whiskies tend to be fairly similar in that they're all fairly dry, spirity and light.

My personal favourites are the Islay followed by the Island and then the eastern highland malts.

If you enjoy whisky but want to know more about them, might I recommend you buy yourself a copy of 'The Malt Whisky File' by John Lamond and Robin Tucek. ISBN number is 1 84195 072 6.

You won't be disappointed! Wink

Just one thing.......... PLEASE promise me you won't drink any good malt with ICE! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will get a copy. I just had a delightful conversation with an even more delightful young lady about not even getting an ice cube close to the glass that contained my malt. She serves me quite regularly at the local establishment, a good malt brought to you by a gorgeous young lady, tough way to spend a lunch hour. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently discovered Glendronach, an eastern Highland malt, double casked in oak and sherry. It's my latest 'favorite'!

Here's a good site to browse. http://wsww.scotchwhiskey.com/

Posts: 5705 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's a great book and tells you everything you want to know about the various groups of malts throughout the world (even the Japs make some good ones!) and also has a separapte write up on every single indvidual malt. - You can also e-mail John Lamond with questions.

The book also discusses 'releasing the dragon' which as you may well know is adding a small amount of good (spring if possible) water, which really doea make a difference in flavour and smell of the whisky. - If you haven't tried it that way, give it a go and let us know what you think. Wink

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
The book also discusses 'releasing the dragon' which as you may well know is adding a small amount of good (spring if possible) water, which really doea make a difference in flavour and smell of the whisky. - If you haven't tried it that way, give it a go and let us know what you think. Wink

Shakari. It would be worth hunting with you just to share the pleasure of a good whisky by the fire of an evening. I am also going to order the book.

I was on Islay in September and enjoyed my stay on the island even more than my hunt - equal to at least. Islay whisky has always been my favorite and what a joy it was to visit Bowmore, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bruichladdie and Laguvalin.

"Releasing the dragon" was common at all the tastings, even with a very pricey 1975 Ardbeg. I was told that a small splash of good water "smoothes out the edges."

By the way, the Oban 14 is excellent as well, at least for me.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I really enjoy the subtleties of good whisky and to be able to add it to the pleasures of good company around an African camp fire just makes it perfect.

I envy you your trip to Islay - I've never been there, but would love to go and like you, Islay whiskies my favourites....... problem is we rarely see much of it out here and when we do, it attracts something like 100% import tax, so it ain't cheap. - I haven't tried the Oban 14, but will make a point of doing so.

You're gonna love the book!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1990, I was lucky enough to be in the NZ Army Rifle Team that had been invited to shoot on the Blair Atholl rifle range. The 3 day stay included a visit to the Blair Atholl distillery - which had usually produced malts for blending but were now producing their own single malts. The back bar of the Blair Atholl tavern - invitation only - and frequented by the locals and the members of the Duke of Atholls Private Army - no joke, it actually exists and is legally armed - and we NZ Army personnel were invited in. Glenmorangie seemed to be the favoured drink that the Duke's Army allowed us to buy for them !! but we did hammer the top shelf of most of the famed highland and lowland malts - savouring it of course - my late uncle always believed that "there is already too much water in whiskey already".

As well as 10 or so 50 ml sample bottles of various single malts, I bought a bottle of Glenkinchie from the Glenkinchie distillery - yes, I did visit other distilleries - (cost 16 pounds UK) and carefully guarded all of them through 3 weeks residing in my kit at Bisley, through British Airways baggage handlers, US Customs and American Airways baggage handlers, and finally Air NZ baggage handlers to arrive home in NZ.

After jet lag recovery, I invited several of my friends - every one a self confessed expert malt taster, to attack this treasure trove and went down to the local liquor store to get some beer and soft drink. There, on the shelf, was a bottle of Glenkinchie, cheaper than what I had bought from the distillery itself. Never mind, all of the malts tasted good and the Glenkinchie went down well sitting around the fire with a bunch of good friends.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimW9:
......to the local liquor store to get some beer and soft drink. There, on the shelf, was a bottle of Glenkinchie, cheaper than what I had bought from the distillery itself.

No surprise there. I have often encountered the same. Roll Eyes

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Where is the Glenkinchie distillery?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
KimW9
Thanks for the site reference.

Just when I thought I had it figured out (with Oban, Talisker and Lagavulin) up jumps another one to try...assuming I can find Glenkinchie around here.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
If you enjoy whisky but want to know more about them, might I recommend you buy yourself a copy of 'The Malt Whisky File' by John Lamond and Robin Tucek.

Steve, the book came in the mail today...what a fine piece of work. Thanks for the recommendation. Japanese whisky...interesting Roll Eyes, but I'll stick to the Scotch....

I like his use of a scale for availability; this edition was written in 2001. By now I am sure many of those then available in very limited amounts will be zero now.

No problem, I am more than pleased with what we can get. I also appreciated his comemnts about
"nosing." It is fun to "search" for the aroma notes he describes. Tonight was an Oban evening....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

So glad you enjoy the book! As you say, it's great fun to read the comments and then try his suggestions.

I don't think the book dates itself as something like a Platter's wine guide because the malts don't change from year to year as much as a wine. - I guess I've had my copy for about 7 or 8 years and I find it as applicable now as it was when it was new.

I've never had the opportunity of trying the Japanese malts, but they do have a goodish reputation and the story of how they started making it is interesting.

I know what you mean about nosing - the more you do it, the more you realise how different they all are and how much fun it is just to sit and smell for a while before drinking. - And isn't it incredible how much that aroma develops when you release the dragon!

Let me know if you settle on a favourite! Wink

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Steve....I was curious to try something far removed from my favorite Islays. I bought a bottle of Speyburn. It is quite good. And so I tried the nosing....and I thoguht I smelled caramel undertones...then I go to the book, it is supposed to be lemony. Confused

I do agree though, that the bit of water does release the aroma considerably.

It was on the sweet side, with a pleasant finish and very enjoyable. thumb

Maybe when I get the new knee I can get a new nose as well..... bewildered

What a job....getting paid to taste whisky....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If it were me doing it, I'd be very contientious and make very sure I did the job properly by testing every single product at least twice! Wink

If you ever have any questions, you can always e-mail John Lamond (his address is in the book) and he always gets gack to you within a day or two. Wink

I don't think I've ever had Speyburn but will keep an eye out for it. - I'm going out to a friend's lter this week and he tells me he's got a bottle of Bowmore in for the occasion. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new favorite Lagavulin. WOW. That is how it is supposed to be. Campfire in a glass.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's another Islay whisky and one of my top 10. I'm on Ardbeg at the moment which is another stunning malt.

Hope you're not putting ice in it! Wink - If you haven't tried it with a splash of good water, give it a try........... you won't be disappointed!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a straw to deposit just the right amount of water to get it working. Served by lovely lass from Scotland named Melanie. It was love at first sight.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Couldn't be better huh!......... actually, on reflection, it could be better...... To make it perfect, you really need to be drinkng it beside a campfire under the African stars. Wink

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite subjects. And although I remain partial to the Islays, a friend bought me a bottle of Balvenie 15 year old. It is wonderful.

Sipping by an African fire would be truly the best way to go. Next best would be with a beautiful Scottish lass and a portion of Haggis..... Wink

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

It's a hell of a price but you might like to try the Balvenie Doublewood........ not an Islay, but a truly stunning experience!

About the only times I've had it is when an occasional client brings a bottle into camp. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on taking a bottle to Wyoming with me for my elk hunt this fall. That will truly be as close as I will ever get to heaven, other than my first divorce.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,
My thoughts on the "dram".
We went to Scotland and stayed on the Isle of Seil, just out of Oban.
Visited the Oban distillery and sampled the nectar. The 14 yr. old is one of my favorites, ever s'smooth.
We also went to Tobermorey on the Isle of Mull and visited the small distillery there. One of the lesser known, but OCH!! how mellow. Have a hard time finding it here in Michigan. Mull and Tobermorey are worth the visit even if you're not a wee sipper.
On the "bolder" side, I like Talisker... long "peppery" finish, but so nice on a winter's eve.
If you want to try an interesting American Bourbon, try a sip of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, a small batch at about 93 proof. Takes a bit of getting used to, but becoming another favorite.
Glad I found this thread, I'll revisit again.
Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael A. Glass:
Lads,
My thoughts on the "dram".
We went to Scotland and stayed on the Isle of Seil, just out of Oban.
Visited the Oban distillery and sampled the nectar. The 14 yr. old is one of my favorites, ever s'smooth.
We also went to Tobermorey on the Isle of Mull and visited the small distillery there. One of the lesser known, but OCH!! how mellow. Have a hard time finding it here in Michigan. Mull and Tobermorey are worth the visit even if you're not a wee sipper.
On the "bolder" side, I like Talisker... long "peppery" finish, but so nice on a winter's eve.
If you want to try an interesting American Bourbon, try a sip of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, a small batch at about 93 proof. Takes a bit of getting used to, but becoming another favorite.
Glad I found this thread, I'll revisit again.
Mike

I hope you enjoyed Scotland as much as I did. I did not get to Oban, only to Islay. That said I am now enjoying a bottle of Oban 14; it is excellent.

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking for a spot to buy Lagavullin. I had my taste in a flight at Epcot. Melanie is still fresh on my mind along with the scotch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain,
Any shop that sells hard liquor will have a list of brands available in Michigan, if it isn't on that list,then you'll have to go to Wisc. Ill. or (God forbid), Ohio and try to buy it there.
I've purchased some good bottles from the St.Jacques mall, gas pump and bait shop here in the UP. They ordered what I wanted. Haven't looked for Lagavullin, but if I can get a chance, I'll look on their list.
I used to work at the State Ag lab in E.Lansing. They tested all alcoholic beverages sold in the state (that's how they got on the list). I used to assist in the "organoleptic" testing (what-does-it-taste-like), especially when I had a cold... I was sick a lot.
If you're near E. Lansing, try the store at the corner of Jolly and Hagadorn SE of campus. They have a wicked big selection.

"If guns are ever banned, I'll spend my money on single malts and leave Las Vegas style!!!!"

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am working in Tampa as we speak, but I get home every couple weeks. I will take a look at one of the places near home. I might need a bottle here and there. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My favorites:

Lagavulin 16 yr. old is fantastic.

A current favorite is smoky, smooth and sweet Laphroaig 15 year and you get land with it so you are an "owner".

My ancestors came from the area of Oban and I keep trying to like it for that reason but find it a little medicinal. Nevertheless there is always at least one bottle within reach.

I finally found a bottle of Glenkinchie - dry and mellow. The bottle I found was 10 years so don't know how much better it gets but it is unlikely to knock off Laphroaig in my mind.

16 year old Talisker is the king. Do not scrimp on age. 10 yr old is awful.

PS A "tulip" glass makes a lot of difference. Also dark Hersheys chocolate is perfect with them all.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love that dark chocolate. I will try the tulip glass. The Glenkinchie was nice but it is no Lagavulin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Also dark Hersheys chocolate is perfect with them all.

Now that's something I'd never hve thought of, but it sounds like a good excuse for buying another bottle of malt. Thanks for the tip! Wink

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I agree with the tulip shaped glass and the dark chocolate, although I have never had them together, Scotch and chocolate, that is. What that shape does is concentrate the aroma so that "nosing" the Scotch is greatly improved.

Think I'll get one now..... thumb

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
AAArrrrgggghhhhhhhh! - Just went to the only bottle shop open this late on a Saturday afternoon and they didn't have a single bottle of malt in stock. Oh woe is me!!!!! Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always shop whenI open the last bottle. Good Luck