posted
I ask them to climb mountains,
To slay dragons,
To spread their wings,
To soar above the clouds!
They ask me -
Is this on the test?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
In my area teachers have been in person teaching all year so far. No one is dying. These young students are getting their education and their teachers are loving their jobs. Good on both teachers and families for being brave and forging ahead here in RURAL America.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The worthless teachers here in Dona Ana county New Mexico have not seen a student in person since March of last year. They lost 1 teacher and 1 para to the illness, but neither one of them was in the classroom they got it from the supermarket. Still the teachers union says it is too unsafe to go back to school so they are at home. We have also had multiple students commit suicide.

My wife is a certified teacher (master teacher actually) and we paid for a curiculum and have been teaching our kids since September of 2019 when we realized how bad our kids were doing in an environment where they cater to the lowest performing student.

Local principal isn't happy with us as we are really remote and there are only about 130 kids here, and we had 3 of them. There are 23 teachers here, and only 3 said they were willing to come back to work even if vaccinated.

Someone accidentally murdered/killed the superintendant, which is awesome!

We are going to try it again in the fall, even though I think my wife will end up pulling them back out within a month.

Teachers unions are a plague.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Duval County they have had face to face learning since last Fall, with, of course, all the safeguards, desks separated, plastic shields on desks, masks, temperature checks when entering school etc. Two high schools had outbreaks attributed to out of school parties! There is no doubt that face to face is much better than virtual, no matter how it is done. Our grandson lives with us during the week and goes home on weekends so we know all the gory details. It is NOT hearsay. I know that some schools in the US have remained closed. I attribute this to poor relations between the teachers and the School Board. Not in a position to say, from here, what's going on. The children are the ones who suffer, especially the ones whose parents don't give a s--t . Duval County voted for Trump in the last election, but also voted FOR a 0.5% sales tax increase to go towards maintenance and repair of public school facilities.
Didn't mean to turn this into a referendum on the state of public schools. The worst experience was with a "Christian" school that the boy's mother insisted on sending him to. Virtual school consisted of the parents picking up the text books and work papers on Monday, and returning them on Friday. And for that, you paid! They were using "the Bob Jones curriculum" which consisted in insisting that God created the Universe in 7, 24 hour days, and making them read Pilgrim's Progress! If you haven't read that recently, try reading it again, as a 4th grader!
Sorry for the rant!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use Bob Jones, and yes it the "Bob Jones" version of a shortened timeline and 100% belief that the bible is a history book that gives me the most fits.

Bob Jones is meant to be taught directly to students using the parents as the caretaker/parent/teacher via videos on their website.

I don't see why or how someone would want to use Bob Jones curriculum on it's own in front a class full of kids. To me that is kind of the opposite of how it is designed.

I am a Orthodox (not Roman) Catholic Christian, but I believe (so does the Roman Catholic church mostly) the bible is a parable of how to live your life, not necessarily a factual account of life 4000-2000 years ago. It is about your relationship with your creator.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone accidentally murdered/killed the superintendant, which is awesome!

BWW........how'd he get dinged?? we demand to know!!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the superintendent. Got a sister and her large extended family in Las Cruces.

I've had mixed emotions about home-schooling. It certainly depends on the parents. I've seen some kids that were home-schooled and were fantastic well-rounded kids, and did very well in college. I've seen others who, because their parents just pretended to home school, failed to achieve anything, couldn't cope with life, and had minimum wage jobs if they had jobs at all. Some were in and out of juvie, with no marketable skills. Not the kid's fault, in my book. The parents failed them.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is my sister's kids. One is 16 on her 2nd kid with two different dudes, the other joined the Army for a day and now lives in their basement temporarily for 7 years.

My wife is a master teacher and she works with our kids all day long. They are all reading and doing math above grade level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a college buddy from grad school who is a professor in Lubbock at texas tech and was before at WVU in Morgantown.

They have home schooled their children. Their daughter in high school is doing math a senior under grad beginning grad school level.

The amount of time and work the patents put in is pretty high. I have no kids - if I ever had kids I would send them to public school. Home schooling properly is too much work. Internet does help.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I ask them to climb mountains,
To slay dragons,
To spread their wings,
To soar above the clouds!
They ask me -
Is this on the test?
Peter.

Peter:

That quote is funny, yet sad.

As a teacher, I see my students try to memorize answers without
thinking about the actual problem. It’s really amazing how many
Of the younger generation think. With that said, there are still
some great students.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I think we can all remember at least one teacher that made a difference in our life. In my case it was Mrs. Hazelwood, my math teacher in the 6th grade. She had a program that taught you your multiplication tables by heart with no thought. She would have us study all week + on Friday the test was, you had a paper + pencil + that was it. She then would walk around the room saying "9x4, 8x6, 11x11, etc." just that fast so you HAD to know it. I have progressed more in my math knowledge over the years as I have a need for geometry in my business but her teachings of basic multiplication skills has always come in handy on a daily basis. Science, etc. for most of us we can do without but we all need math on a daily basis for everything.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote