New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Question Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
For someone who's been around guns for over 65 years I should know the answer to this. But I don't. Help me out, please.

Is the rifle brand Sako pronounced "Say-Coe" or "Sack-o"?

I always thought it was pronounced with the long "A" but recently heard some knowledgeable folks pronounce the first syllable "sack."

Which is it?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1545 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have always used the long "R" - as in Sarr-ko

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought it was pronounced with the long "A" but recently heard some knowledgeable folks pronounce the first syllable "sack."

Me too. I believe that the knowledgeable folks are correct.
Same problem with Rapala. I've always said "Ra Palla", but I guess that it's really "Rapp a la" Big Grin rotflmo
But, as long as I say both of them my way among friends, then I'm ok, as they all say them same way as me. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about VihtaVuori and Swarovski?!!

Posts: 1228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and there is no Leo in Leupold pronounced Loo Pold.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Y'all make me giggle like a little girl.

Yes gents, those are awesome 2 dollar questions and the answers to which I have no knowledge (other than how I've pronounced them for all these decades.

Leo - check (wrong but that's what I say)
long "a" - check (wrong but that's what I say)
Swarovski - check (no one corrects me)
Vihta Vuori - I haven't a clue. (no one else knows either) LOL

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the hunting and gun shows on TV have had factory people on and they pronounced it Sock-O

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Race Bannon:
Some of the hunting and gun shows on TV have had factory people on and they pronounced it Sock-O

My favorite rifle is a custom Sako 7-08 that I’ve hunted with for 20 years. It was “Say-ko” for many of those. I’ve since learned it is “sock-o” from the guys at Beretta Gallery (Beretta owns Sako). However, it’s still hard to keep that in my feeble mind.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
sAyko, + the pre-Garcia ones are gems. I understand that they are putting out a quality product again. Garcia really hurt the company that they bought out but eventually the word got out. They were making a fortune on a name + selling an inferior product. I'm glad to hear that they are now doing well in quality mfg.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention this. There was an article in either Guns or American Handgunner (can't remember) a few months ago with a whole table on companies and terms and the way they're supposed to be pronounced. Was a good bit of tongue-in-cheek.

For the record, it's supposed to be pronounced "SOCK-o", but for some reason saying it that way sounds really pretentious to me, like you have to have a Nordic accent. I've been saying "SAY-ko" and will continue to do so.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've called it Say-co my whole life, but the correct pronunciation is Sock-o.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
sAyko, + the pre-Garcia ones are gems. I understand that they are putting out a quality product again. Garcia really hurt the company that they bought out but eventually the word got out. They were making a fortune on a name + selling an inferior product. I'm glad to hear that they are now doing well in quality mfg.

If I'm not mistaken, Garcia was only the importer to the USA, they didn't own the company. Stoeger was another importer of Sako rifles after that. They've always been. arguably, the finest production rifles ever made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have enough problems with my native language, English. I can really butcher foreign words.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the gun rag writers the Sako brand rifles is pronounced Sock-o. Is this correct? I don't know but now you know as much as I do....., that sounds awful!LOL

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Correct. And it does sound awful. Just like 'Rapp pa la' does! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Then there's the folks who pronounce Hornady "HornaDay" instead of "Hornadee."

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAKO = sah ko

Hoppes = hop eez

Lapua = la poowa

Posts: 3667 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Of course where you live influences your pronunciations. I always felt that the folks that lived somewhere had the best claim on pronunciation, I.E New Orleans, Nawalins, etc. Being from the south I pronounce the word route the way it's spelled while northerners say root. I say potato, she says potata, I say tomato, she says tomata, let's call the whole thing off.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Then there's the folks who pronounce Hornady "HornaDay" instead of "Hornadee."

Yeah...but those guys are goobers..... Big Grin

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only heard them called "Say-Coe" in Australia.

Based on gun forums I would say there is a much higher percenatge of shooters in Australia have Sakos than in America. This would make sense just based on relative cost to other rifle brands. In Australia the costs associated with importing rifles by the import agents applies to all rifle brands.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Say-Coe 375 H&H many years ago, I thought it was the smoothest action I ever held. Still do, and I will continue to pronounce it Say-Coe; right, wrong, or indifferent.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
When I bought my Say-Coe 375 H&H many years ago, I thought it was the smoothest action I ever held. Still do, and I will continue to pronounce it Say-Coe; right, wrong, or indifferent.

I've owned a bunch of Sock-O's

You must be from Texas.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
i am super confused now.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With us, it's the people who pronounce carbine as "carbeen". I can shake my head and laugh that off, but I demand a shoot-on-sight order for those people who mispronounce the word turbine like it was something wrapped around a swami snake-charmers head. It's tur-BINE, not tur-BUN!