New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religions that prohibit firearms? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I obviously have too much time on my hands, but, I got to wondering. I know that religions like the Amish abhor violence, but do they own firearms for protecting their livestock, or hunting? In America, there are many pacifist religions and I am curious as to whether or not any of them actually ban firearms ownership. I am just trying to educate myself, not disparage any religion. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To answer your question....I believe that Quakers also do not utilize firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite firearms ownership, but pacifism is often associated with Quakers, Seventh Day Adventists, and Jehovah's Witnesses.
One wonders whether all the other pacifist religions just went extinct!
I do not mean to take over the original intent of the post, but I cannot help but wonder about the following:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I cannot help but believe that there is an element of truth to this quote.

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy I work with has land in Pennsylvania, they let the Amish kids hunt their land. So that bunch of Amish have guns.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure on guns but several years ago when we had a tornado in Jarrell, Tcx. there was a van load of Amish that came down here from Pa. to volunteer their help on rebuilding the community free of charge. They did have power tools but they were owned by the community not them personally. This crew was the framers after they were through they went back up north + the trim carpenters came down. In the interim, they looked after each others farms in their absence. I have a lot of respect for those folks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Not quite firearms ownership, but pacifism is often associated with Quakers, Seventh Day Adventists, and Jehovah's Witnesses.
I do not mean to take over the original intent of the post, but I cannot help but wonder about the following:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Peter.

And Amish, Mennonites, and Brethren. Pacifism doesn't prohibit firearms ownership, only violence toward fellow humans.
Contrast this with the Violence Policy Center...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:

Peter.

I know a Seventh Day Adventist that hunts regularly and ran into one of the local JWs at a recent gun show. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Amish in southern Illinois hunt and it's not unusual to see the young men riding bicycles with a cased shotgun slung over their back as they head out hunting. The locals say the Amish ask permission to hunt other peoples land during the deer season and save their land for deer hunting when the season is closed. Smiler

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As presented, this is far from being a simple question.

I think we would all agree that "religion", as commonly defined, preceded "firearms", also as commonly defined. The concept of "firearm" came long after the tenants of religion.

Firearms have many uses. So, in what context? For example, firearms have an undisputed place as a tool in the maintenance of a nature-based sustainable life style among many indigenous peoples, but are considered in a negative context as a "weapon". And, in this context, what would be the difference between a firearm and archery tack? Both can be used to sustain life, both can be used to take life.

So....how has the introduction of the firearm in modern society effected religious views? And why? You have 50 minutes to write your answers.

With respect to the OP....I, too, guess I have too much time on my hands.

Best.........!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both can be used to sustain life, both can be used to take life

Broading the context, but this applies to just about every tool. Captain Cook, when he visited the Pacific Islands (not just Hawaii but also many islands around New Zealand) gave and traded metal axes. Iron is unknown in the Pacific Islands. He thought he was doing them a favor because they could be used to cut down trees. He was disappointed to find on his return visits, that they were also used as weapons!
He may have been naive as many of the Pacific Island races are quite warlike eg. Maori's.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, + they ate his heart too.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I admire the Amish, too, Randy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Me too. I've been around the Amish my whole life and the general rule is simply not to do anything "proud". Hunting is part of their lifestyle. But, you won't find any custom rifles in their hands.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:

I know a Seventh Day Adventist that hunts regularly and ran into one of the local JWs at a recent gun show. Big Grin

Grizz

Ditto

I know SDA and Amish who are big into guns.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<LIVYATAN>
posted
Religion that prohibits firearms - American Progressivists. (a form of satanic cult).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose that I can safely assume you are speaking of the liberal left in general to which I would agree. The only similarity to religion that I can think of however is that age-old adage of the misconception that "God is on our side."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can assume that most of you have seen this month "American Rifleman" mag. + the article about the church shooting + the parishioner here in Texas that killed the mass murderer before he got too far + the B.S. spouted by Bloomberg + his ilk. Same old liberal diatribe, no one but the military, police, + HIS bodyguards should be allowed to own weapons. I KNOW that I'm preaching to the choir but what kind of insanity allows people to think that suppression of self-defense unto murderers is any kind of viable option?