Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windigo Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Has anyone ever heard of a Indian spirt called a windigo?I heard of this thing for the first time last week and it was a Indian type evil spirt i think up in the north country,i just wondered if you guys that were raised up inthe north country have ever heard of it before??Was it sorta like a bigfoot?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You can look it up under Wendigo too. Some would say it is like Bigfoot, but other legends seem to differ. It may be a case where some bigfoot buffs have seized on it as evidence when in reality the roots of the legend are different.

Looking at the Wikipedia article, I am pretty sure I read the Algernon Blackwood story once or twice. You may be able to find it on the Web.

There is a pretty bizarre movie called Wendigo. Not sure I would recommend it but if it is on you could try it...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched that movie a few years ago on cable and burst out laughing when they actually showed the "monster." I can't remember exactly, but it was either a whitetail that walked upright or a man with the head of a whitetail.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I watched that movie a few years ago on cable and burst out laughing when they actually showed the "monster." I can't remember exactly, but it was either a whitetail that walked upright or a man with the head of a whitetail.

You're giving it away!

I though it was left ambiguous if that was in the mind of the characters or not.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Windego is supposed to be a half man/half creature who happens to be cannibilistic. He shows up especially during times of fammine and strife and feeds on the flesh of the unfortunate.

It's said that any man who has had to resort to cannibilism has been posessed by windego, and that man will be a cannibal forever. I've heard of natives killing others who they think have become windego and like many cultures there's a social stigma to having eaten human flesh.

It's also said that when a person is lost windego befuddles him and causes him to run panic striken through the forest until all is lost. It's pretty easy to see how this part came to be. I was lost or rather my truck was misplaced a couple years ago and as night began to fall I could feel windego breathing down my neck. And the faster I walked and more worried I became the faster windego walked. Soon he was running his fingers through my hair and I could feel my hair begin to stand up and goose bumps beginning to form. As I walked faster windego began tripping me, hoping I'd break an ankle and become easy prey.

Luckily I found my truck, but anybody who's felt a little panicked in the bush has felt the breath of windego.

sleep well children

The chef

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Windego is supposed to be a half man/half creature who happens to be cannibilistic. He shows up especially during times of fammine and strife and feeds on the flesh of the unfortunate.

It's said that any man who has had to resort to cannibilism has been posessed by windego, and that man will be a cannibal forever. I've heard of natives killing others who they think have become windego and like many cultures there's a social stigma to having eaten human flesh.

It's also said that when a person is lost windego befuddles him and causes him to run panic striken through the forest until all is lost. It's pretty easy to see how this part came to be. I was lost or rather my truck was misplaced a couple years ago and as night began to fall I could feel windego breathing down my neck. And the faster I walked and more worried I became the faster windego walked. Soon he was running his fingers through my hair and I could feel my hair begin to stand up and goose bumps beginning to form. As I walked faster windego began tripping me, hoping I'd break an ankle and become easy prey.

Luckily I found my truck, but anybody who's felt a little panicked in the bush has felt the breath of windego.

sleep well children

The chef

Maybe windego is the one who misplaced your truck Wink

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Calgarychefs discription. Been there Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote