Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

These prices aren’t going down! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I had to chuckle at the “positive sign” gas thread that was posted here.

Here are some positive construction numbers here in Utah:

Lumber package for an average home in the last year is up $25k. And, I’d say
that’s conservative. I just moved in to the house we built and I’m glad we built
when we did. There’s no way I’d do it now.

My friends son did well selling his house last summer. He decided do build awhile back.
The build cost for him being his own General went up $100k.

I just filled up for $3.09 yesterday.

I guess some of us have different meanings for “positive”.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Diesel was $3.00 beginning of January. Now it is $4.20. Highest I have seen was $4.75 on the south coast.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you prefer a selfish view, yes, gas prices are "bad" for "me".

If you can look out a little further, like past the end of your proverbial pecker, if there is more worldwide demand for oil & gas, and prices rise, that means economies are probably coming back online. Industries are firing back up. That means more jobs will come back, fewer people unemployed. More demand for goods and services. More spendable income.

I thought that was what all of us want???

Do I care if gas here goes from $1.89 to $2.50 if I go from NOT HAVING a job to HAVING a job? Ask anyone, anywhere, that lost their job due to COVID that is currently still out of work, and is still looking for one. I don't have to guess what their answer would be.

Being retired, yeah, higher gas prices are bad for "ME". Americans didn't used to be as selfish as they are now. We used to be better than that.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes Ken, we were + some of us still are. As to the selfishness of the current young, one needs go no further than the current plethora of the unmasked spring break crowd whose desire for personal fun overrode any concept of concern for anyone else's health, etc. And yes the gas prices are a major issue for everyone (we ALL get everything we consume by truck!) I shudder to think what we will look like as a nation after 4 years of the current clusterfxxk.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Cheap energy means less expense for home utilities. Cheap energy means more money for road trips and tourism.
Expensive energy means higher construction and manufacturing costs and more expensive agriculture.

Expensive energy means more money for Islamic terrorism.

Ken, were all glad that Alaska, Texas and North Dakota benefit from high oil prices, but there are 47 other states.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I still can't figure Ken out.

Before I retired higher fuel prices were very much a factor on what was in my bank account. As a retiree I fill the tanks on my vehicles once a month at best. Actually closer to 6 weeks. So while I do not like paying $20-$30 more per vehicle to fill up it isn't like having to spend that much weekly or more when commuting to a job. Do the math and add that up.

Even worse, we lived very well with lower fuel prices and the economy sped along. Higher prices do not make it better at all. As I have said many times in the past here. Higher fuel means higher prices all the way around. All goods and services will cost more to try and make up that loss. I do not get why this is so hard for Ken to understand?

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its really mind boggling Ann, isn't it?

I work in the oil and gas industry (Permian Basin) and higher fuel prices usually help my business.
However, given the rate of rapid increase , I do not believe that this benefits the overall majority
population.

I do not believe .99 a gallon fuel benefits the economy overall, nor do I believe $4.00 a gallon fuel
does either. I believe there needs to be a happy median. A 30% increase in fuel, in one month does
not look good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I think we had that happy median last few years. It is gone for at least the next four years.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Jason,

I think we had that happy median last few years. It is gone for at least the next four years.

Yes, and to think, we have all the domestic oil that we need. Unfortunately, there are idiots who love foreign oil better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make more money off of it.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Jason,

Yes, and to think, we have all the domestic oil that we need. Unfortunately, there are idiots who love foreign oil better.

Every oil well produces according to an exponential equation, and production tapers off with a measurable (and measured) exponent.
The fact that things are good now doesn't mean much for the foreseeable future. Fracked wells are no exception.

Our cost of production keeps going up as we are required to drill deeper. We will not run out of oil, but we might have to be more careful with our usage as time passes. A friend of mine is co-owner of some North Dakota property; for awhile he was awash in cash but those wells don't last long.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If you prefer a selfish view, yes, gas prices are "bad" for "me".

If you can look out a little further, like past the end of your proverbial pecker, if there is more worldwide demand for oil & gas, and prices rise, that means economies are probably coming back online. Industries are firing back up. That means more jobs will come back, fewer people unemployed. More demand for goods and services. More spendable income.

I thought that was what all of us want???

Do I care if gas here goes from $1.89 to $2.50 if I go from NOT HAVING a job to HAVING a job? Ask anyone, anywhere, that lost their job due to COVID that is currently still out of work, and is still looking for one. I don't have to guess what their answer would be.

Being retired, yeah, higher gas prices are bad for "ME". Americans didn't used to be as selfish as they are now. We used to be better than that.

Your proverbial pecker must be shrinking. Normally fuel prices do increase as industry picks up. Unfortunately that is not the driving factor this time around. The rising costs of oil/fuel is now being driven up solely by the energy policies of the Biden administration. Just wait until they get going on the green new deal.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob:

You are 100% spot on.

Isn't it ironic that when you do not agree with someone, they post a childish comment like the one
above. The "selfish" accusation really has me scratching my head but maybe I am missing something
Smiler