New
Find
Notify
Tools

A deal too many Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I sold a rifle to a guy on another site. I had it discounted and because he was one of the first people to enquire and was serious I knocked off another portion on the price when requested it.

Now he has come back to me asking about another two rifles. I shot him a "mates rate" price and further discounted the pair, and he came back to me expecting the more of a discount and dictating further terms.

I don't really "need or want" to sell the 2nd or 3rd rifle at such a discount.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is a negotiator. Rather than discount try adding value with quality, appearance, etc. Tell him you have others interested and that is where you need to be. Also telling him that you are not compelled to sell is a good strategy. He may think that since you easily discounted the first one that you need the money. Let him know you really made him a good deal on the first one to create a positive relationship, but now we need to get down to business.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safe to say, he is not your "mate".

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a friend named Leo Naumann who is an ld saddlemaker + leathersmith. In his retirement years he has taken to building knife scabbards, phone holders, snuff can holders, etc. + selling at the gun shows. A few years ago I was visiting his booth + this guy comes by + asks how much this item is + Leo says $40.00. The guy goes off like a scorched Scotsman about how that is way too high, etc. The he looks it over + sees how well it is really made + changes his tune + says O.K. $40.00 right? Leo says, No, $45.00. The guy says but you said $40.00. Leo says I sure did but you didn't like $40.00 so the price is now $45.00. I loved it!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
im a vendor at local gunshows.... occasionally i'll have a potential buyer come by looking for a specific gun... i have prices marked on my stuff.... they guy will say "make me a deal"... ill counter with "make me an offer"...and we go from there.... when they walk away from the table, all deals are off.... ive had ppl come back and try to pick up where we were... no way.... all they've done is shop me to other vendors...ive had people try to make deals for their buddies.... ive told them that the deal is "right now, right here"... walk off, and the deal is off...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Gunshow in Canberra in 2011 or 2012, I had a mountain of bullets I had imported and decided to sell them off as I wasn't really doing much reloading for anything other than 6.5x47 Lapua.

So I had a ton of bullets on the table new in the boxes and generally they were $20 a box for Sierra Matchkings for 6mm or something like that.

Guy walks up, looks at the bullets remarks to his friend that they were too cheap.

I marked them up to $35 and he came back and bought everyone.

I just shut my mouth and took his money.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Quite the trader you sold to!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Gunshow in Canberra in 2011 or 2012, I had a mountain of bullets I had imported and decided to sell them off as I wasn't really doing much reloading for anything other than 6.5x47 Lapua.

So I had a ton of bullets on the table new in the boxes and generally they were $20 a box for Sierra Matchkings for 6mm or something like that.

Guy walks up, looks at the bullets remarks to his friend that they were too cheap.

I marked them up to $35 and he came back and bought everyone.

I just shut my mouth and took his money.

Over the years I have heard several people tell others things were to cheap.

I have always replied so if walk into a car dealer.

You must give them more money.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That recalls to memory the story told by Roger Miller (yep, that one) that when he went into used car lot + started kicking tires, the salesman comes out + says "You thinking about buying a car?" Roger says, "No I KNOW I want to buy a car; I was thinking about pussy."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote