New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who likes to recycle? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I honestly am addicted to reusing glass. I hate plastic. Here's one of my latest uses.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take things apart to recycle properly.
I refuse to buy anything put in Styrofoam. I really seem to hate that stuff.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I used to recycle religiously. Then the recycling place (30 miles away) started having irregular hours so you show up with a truckload already sorted just to find the gates locked. A few years ago Wal-Mart put the huge con-ex recycling boxes in their parking lots for free use to the public. Even had separate bins for glass, plastic, paper, etc. Well, folks just started putting their household garbage in them so they dropped the program. Some folks will ride a free horse to death + at the same time screw everyone else.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found out the other day that if you want to re-cycle something, don't wait for the re-cycling service, put in a box with FFEDEX all over it and put it out by the front door, eventually someone will come by and "claim" it.
dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We recycle, but I'm not convinced that is how things turn out. You just have to do it on faith.

My introduction to "recycling" was in Venezuela. "Zero Discharge" was the rage, and key driving force for PDVSA, the national oil company. We religiously separated all garbage and drilled cuttings on the rigs, and shipped them to shore in designated bins and barges. Found out later the drilled cuttings were spread on farm land, and the garbage, recyclable and otherwise, were all dumped in the same landfill. Their interest in recycling was just for show.

Posts: 13763 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I work in an industry that has a lot of palletised material delivered wrapped in bubble wrap.The wrap is removed and binned , destined for the landfill.

I have official sanction to rescue the wrap , and donate it to many small local businesses so that it can get at least one more use before being dumped.

Its a small gesture but every little bit helps . Just dont pop the bubbles - they are full of Chinese air so who knows what they also carry....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I'm better at recycling than I am at being a practicing Catholic.

It really isn't difficult, and it's just the right thing to do.

Like Ken, I have doubts about the process after the materials get picked up, but on my end, it gets done like an act of faith.

When I settle on a house, I'll also go back to composting. At that point, our actual output to landfill is about a grocery bag per week. Most gets recycled or composted.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It takes me 4-6 weeks to fill my trash bin for pick up. I'm putting it out on Thursday, it will only have three standard 40 gallon kitchen bags and some compressed feed sacks. I reuse quite a few of the feed sacks but not all so I do set a lot out for the trash man.

It's also time to go to the scrap yard with a trash can full of compacted aluminum cans and other aluminum items. Took 5 years to fill it.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's also time to go to the scrap yard with a trash can full of compacted aluminum cans and other aluminum items. Took 5 years to fill it.

What are you going to use the money for?

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Here in Jacksonville FL all trash collection, recycle and yard debris pickup is city-operated (contracted out) and included in our property taxes.

Trash is collected once a week and recycle material once every other week. The city provides receptacles; trash can are green with green lids and recycle cans are green with yellow lids. We have to provide our own yard debris containers, or bag it, tie in bundles, etc.

Trash has to be bagged but recycle items cannot; they have to be put in the containers separately (plastic bags jam the sorting machines).

Some things can't be recycled: plastic grocery bags, styrofoam, aerosol cans, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if recycling is really cost-effective?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried recycling former wives and girlfriends just couldn't get them back to their original shape.LOL

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cost savings is in the “not having to create, maintain, and monitor additional landfills”. Doesn’t matter if the recycled materials pay for the labor it takes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

What are you going to use the money for?

LOL, I probably won't get much for it! Probably put it towards my feed bill at the co-op.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe, that reminds me of a story I heard on Paul Harvey several years ago when the garbage strike was going on in NYC right at Christmas. Some enterprising guy boxed up all his trash, gift-wrapped it + went downtown, parked + left his window open. Sure enough when he returned it was gone. Big Grin

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Thu, 04 Mar 2021 20:15:57 GMT-0800', '05 March 2021 08:15')+'</nobr>');05 March 2021 08:1505 March 2021 08:15Hide PostJim Kobe, that reminds me of a story I heard on Paul Harvey several years ago when the garbage strike was going on in NYC right at Christmas. Some enterprising guy boxed up all his trash, gift-wrapped it + went downtown, parked + left his window open. Sure enough when he returned it was gone.

Poetic justice.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the point, most of that shit just gets exported to some third World country, to deal with ? Confused

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1581 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shame I do agree, but the reality is is that it WILL happen. Human nature. Cras as it may sound, it is better to be at the top of the "food chain"than below.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a very interesting video talking about the recycling process and how the companies creating the "plastics mess" shift the responsibility to the consumer, how foreign countries are less willing to accept our garbage, and how the U.S. is doing very little to help the situation.

If you can get past John Oliver's brummie accent and attempts at humor, he brings out some incredibly disturbing facts surrounding recycling:

1. How little is actually being recycled
2. How we are led to believe most plastics are recyclable, when they are not.
3. How much plastic trash recycles back into our own body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiu9GSOmt8E

"Recycling" is a very discouraging situation.

Posts: 13763 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to glass, which is highly recyclable and IMO environmentally friendlier compared to plastics...

When I do buy food products from a store and they are packaged in plastic I transfer it to a glass container when I get home. Mostly because plastics are notorious for containing bad chemicals that can leach into edibles.

~Ann