New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun ownership and suicide Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...621f8de0e8-174308469

“In this study of firearm ownership and mortality in a cohort of 26.3 million adult residents of California, we found an elevated risk of suicide among a large sample of first-time handgun owners. This risk was driven by a much higher rate of suicide by firearm — not by higher rates of suicide by other methods. Handgun owners’ risk of suicide by firearm peaked in the period immediately after their first handgun acquisition but remained relatively high 12 years later, and the long-term risk accounted for a majority of the excess suicides by firearm among owners.
Nearly all previous studies of the relationship between firearm access and suicide have detected positive associations.”

Not good but if someone wants to kill the elves they will find a way.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No! Not the elves!!!!! Say it ain't so!

Autocorrect made a funmy......

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beat me to it.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Santa going to have to make all that crap himself? Dang dude.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Betcha Santa shoots himself rather than do all that toy making.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
F@ck Santa. Jeff Bezos will take over.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...621f8de0e8-174308469

“In this study of firearm ownership and mortality in a cohort of 26.3 million adult residents of California, we found an elevated risk of suicide among a large sample of first-time handgun owners. This risk was driven by a much higher rate of suicide by firearm — not by higher rates of suicide by other methods. Handgun owners’ risk of suicide by firearm peaked in the period immediately after their first handgun acquisition but remained relatively high 12 years later, and the long-term risk accounted for a majority of the excess suicides by firearm among owners.
Nearly all previous studies of the relationship between firearm access and suicide have detected positive associations.”

Mike

We have "assisted suicide", and that's fine with liberal thinkers.
DIY is prohibited "violence", somehow. I smell an agenda.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed, I talked with a friend of mine who was an insurance agent + he told me that even if suicide was the cause of death that the life insurance policy was still valid. I was not aware of that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe in life insurance. I did when I was starting out and had a young family, beyond that, what's the point?

Insurance companies don't build all those sky scrapers by losing money.

I bought a life insurance policy 1971. I kept it alive as the company I bought it from merged with another company.....who merged with another company.....who merged, etc., etc.

Around about 2007 they noticed I was getting up in age, and they cancelled my life insurance policy on a "technicality". I got the Texas state insurance board after them, and they reinstated my policy. In 2009 they tried to bailout again. I filed another complaint, and they reinstated my policy again. Finally, in 2012 through a glitch in my mail being forwarded to me overseas I missed a payment grace period. They cancelled my policy. I have no respect for insurance companies.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It is truly sad when one in good health reaches the point that suicide is a viable answer.
I feel for all of those suffering that much internal pain!

Insurance tangent comment Years ago a friend told me, "Remember insurance companies are NOT your friend."
I was dealing with a claim at the time and he was right!
Years later I read where a fellow had paid on his policy for years and was having trouble getting his claim paid . . . One of the more blunt respondent pointed out that insurance companies were not in business to pay claims, but did so only to meet legal requirements and keep the insurance commission off their back.
Remember as they withold pay ones "piddly" claim for a week-month or two they are making big bucks holding cash for that claim and MANY more.
Just sing the mantra Tehy are my friend and exist purely to pay my claim . . . Ignore the big edifice and some of the salaries within.
Remember, when you are having significant unresolved issues that the State Insurance Commission (or whatever it is called in your political boundary) may well provide some valuable assistance.

Plenty of working folks out there in the industry working to meet our needs also.

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know if one is trying to make their claim that the ins. co,s paying out is like pulling teeth. Thay will try to convince you to leave your money there as they can invest it better for you, etc. As to the suicide issue, I have always felt that it was a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had/have two good hunting buddies in the insurance business. They both owned independent insurance agencies. Jerry made some bad risk decisions, lost his ass and committed suicide, four houses down the street from me. Used a model 29 Smith through the heart. Extremely sad as he had a nice wife and two young daughters. Would not have expected that in a million years.
My other friend is retiring, sold his business, very wealthy. We’re fishing next week, bow hunting elk in Sept and a few other activities in between.
Yes, insurance is a pita until you need it.
And I don’t pay much time on anti gun studies. Tell the outcome you want, and find some one to do a survey to get that outcome.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Insurance company's biggest problem is where to park all that money in the meantime.
There are competing priorities, having enough left to pay claims after their own house/car payments.
If all else fails, declare bankruptcy and move to Bahamas...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a story like df06. I had a good friend that owned a trucking company in Odessa. His buddy was also his insurance provider. They had known each other, and done business, for forty years. When the oil boom ended in the early 80s in West Texas, everyone was hurting financially.

One day a blowout preventer toppled off a lowboy and crashed into some cars. My friend filed an insurance claim. The claim didn't get paid. His buddy had an excuse, and my friend waited some more. Nothing happened. My friend called him up and said they needed to meet for lunch and get this claim cleared-up.

The authorities said after the insurance man hung up, he took a kitchen chair into the garage, sat down, and put his .38 in his mouth.

Later when they were sorting through his business, they learned that he had been collecting premiums, but not buying insurance for his customers; just pocketing the money. He had been doing that for about a year, and was always able to cover any claims personally. Then things went south.

I believe like NormanC, particularly for young people. They kill themselves for something that would have resolved itself in time. Being young and "stupid" can kill you.

Depression? I don't even understand that, but it must be a hell of a dark place. I hope I never go there.

In general, for older people, I don't second guess their decision. They have a right to do what they want with their life; including ending it. If they've had enough and want to check out, I respect their decision, particularly if they have health issues severely impacting their quality of life.

Handgun ownership doesn't "lead" to suicide.

I was stunned when I went into McClelland Gun Shop in Dallas a few years ago. One of the counter guys was still in shock. The previous afternoon a woman came in. She looked at a few pistols and asked enough questions to understand how to load and fire it. She finally settled on a short barreled .38. She bought a box of shells. She then checked-out, left the shop, got in her car and about thirty seconds later the people in the shop heard the gun go off. They rushed out to see what happened, and found her dead in the driver's seat with a bullet hole in her right temple.

Handgun ownership didn't have anything to do with her suicide. In her mind, it was just the right tool for the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a suicide in Wichita Falls where an airman went to a pawn shop and asked to look at a pistol. They handed it to him and he proceeded to load one round and shoot himself in the head.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I investigated a lot of suicides some guns, some hangings, some driving vehicles into various objects, some drugs, some cuttings ect.

If people really are intent with killing themselves they find a way.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sucide among younger people became a topic when I was in high school and college.

I just can’t understand killing yourself bc someone tells you to, or calls you bad names, or tries to do whatever. To me that would be letting that person win and having all control of me.

I would live, and come in everyday and with my presence be saying, “ Hey bastard! I am still here, and your still obsessed with me!”

I also do not understand why these kids who are cyber bullied just do not turn off the damn device. You control the access.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There can be some stupid reasons. A few years ago this teenaged girl in Georgetown got Daddy's S+W 38 + blew her brains out in her bedroom on the anniversary of Kurt Cobain's suicide. A buddy of mine who worked for Williamson County Juvenile offered to clean the revolver up as the parents didn't want it anymore + trade for a tombstone.