New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotes Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
We haven't done this in a while but I was in conversation with another member + this recalled me to the subject so I will start out. This is from Mark Twain;" You can raise a child on the cost of one vice."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Those who choose their friends by their wealth and social stature, usually deserve them.

UNK

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of people.

Those that listen to good advice; and

Those that have to pee on the electric fence.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!

FDR

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
"Life is divided into the horrible and the miserable."

- Woody Allen

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

- Friedrich Nietsche

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Cogito ergo sum."

- Rene Descartes

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are folks in government that shouldn't be allowed to play with matches. Will Rogers.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
“e = mc2”

- Albert Einstein

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
“Death only ends what we know. It begins everything else.”

- Anon

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
In Theory There Is No Difference Between Theory and Practice, While In Practice There Is

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he exites among his opponents. Winston Churchill.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one that I have used for many occasions with good right from Benjamin Franklin, "A cat that sits on a hot stove will never set on a hot stove again, nor will it ever sit on a cold one.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
When the brain is dead, the body suffers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, and George S Patton said a lot of my favorites. And then there is Tom T. Hall:

Sitting on the world we are all wanting to win; and his best:

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Winston Churchill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No man is a good citizen unless he so acts as to show that he actually uses the ten commandments, and translates the Golden Rule into his life conduct. Theodore Roosevelt in the forward of the manual of the "Boy Scouts Of America". Circa 1911.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I loved that song as well as Tom T.s others. "I said I was a poet, my soul was all on fire." He looked at me + said, "You are a liar." then when he went on, "There was something cold + shiney right beside my head + I started to believe the words he said."

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living.

Omar Bradley.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winston Churchill on Charles De Gaulle "He looks like a female llama who has just been surprised in her bath."
And on Neville Chamberlain "He was given the choice between war + dishonor. He chose dishonor + he will have war anyway."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Twain:

There are three types of people in the world. Those that learn by reading about it. Those that learn by watching others' mistakes. And those that just have to pee on the electric fence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake, I think it was Will Rodgers. Couldn't have been Twain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right, Lavaca, it was Will Rogers. Here's one from Abraham Lincoln, "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of all the thoughts of word or pen,
The saddest is, "it might have been."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lincoln said "Those that can't skin can hold a leg". That's the view that is missing today.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give not council to your fears. G.S. Patton

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."

Matthew 5:9.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake + thine other infirmities."
1st Timothy 5-22

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Journalism justifies its own existence by the great Darwinian principle of the survival of the vulgarest." Oscar Wilde.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. If nothing else, it will teach you to keep your mouth shut!..... E. Hemingway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action". James Russell Lowell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
“They sicken of the calm who know the storm.”

- Dorothy Parker

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specialization is for insects + moderation is for monks. Robert Heinlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To win back my youth, there is nothing I would not do- except, of course, take exercise, rise early, or give up tobacco + Alcohol. Oscar Wilde

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having money is not important; it's NOT having money that's important. Me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to know what God thinks about money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trouble is that the stupid people-who constitute the grand overwhelming majority of this and all other nations-do believe and are molded and convinced by what they get out of a newspaper. Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard this the other day on a replay of an old TV show.
'When you are in Hell where do you tell someone to go?'. Red Skelton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me." George S. Patton.