THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    A WELL STOCKED HOME MEDICAL SUPPLY KIT

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A WELL STOCKED HOME MEDICAL SUPPLY KIT Login/Join 
one of us
posted
contains...?
Looking for stuff that will help stem serious wounds, rather like a battlefield medical kit.
Not sure where to post this so I am trying here. I do recollect seeing something along these lines a while ago.
Any help would be appreciated.
Not worried about headaches or foot itching.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have been seeing G.I. medical supplies, battlefield wound dressings, etc at gun shows recently. It's dated, but still in sterile packaging.. and while not exactly cheap, i'm sure its far less expensive than fresh supplies.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a selection of supplies including surgical supplies: https://majorsurplus.com/disas.../first-aid-kits.html

You may want to also consult your physician to get prescriptions for selected antibiotics and analgesics.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you can't find or afford the medical grade, A construction friend of mine said he ALWAYS had
Tampons,
Absorbent pads (Kotex)
Super glue,
A couple of other things I forget
in his truck.

Dang Bobster they seem to have it all, and at bargain basement prices.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal feeling about medical kits is that really you should take some first aid classes and then decide what you think you need.

An EMT/paramedic using bubba gear will have better results than someone who buys a $1000 milsurp MASH kit without any training, and if you depend on the instructions alone or the Internet you will end up in trouble.

You then pick out what you think you need from your training based on your expectations of what you want to cover.

For major trauma, providing you know what you are doing, gauze (rolls and larger pads), plastic wrap, Ace bandages, and tourniquets cover most of it. Unless you know what you are doing, quick lot or similar can have significant issues. Something like a splint to immobilize an area is important, this can be as simple as some sticks with the gauze to air pressure type items.

Honestly, in the CONUS, there are very few areas that EMS cannot reach quickly, so you don’t need to go overboard.

Other things to think about-

Eyewash.

Stuff for heart attacks (aspirin and nitroglycerin)

Allergic reaction issues ( Benadryl and Epi pen)

Not normally available but oxygen is important.

Blankets, both for shock and hypothermia.

Knowing signs of poisoning and how to get a hold of poison control.

Vinegar, water, and baking soda (acid/alkali)

Cooling/warming products.

There can be more, but it depends on what you have in your area- I’m not around snakes much here, but if you are, appropriate bite first aid- a cell phone camera pic of the thing that bit you is often very helpful.

And so on.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with TC about the sterility of the Kotex pads. I remember a few years ago at a concert down on Town Lake the singer developed a nose bleed that wouldn't stop + asked the audience if anyone had some tampons. The stage was showered by those little bottle rockets. He inserted 2 + finished his set. Seriously though, its good to have some basic medical gear around the house because we never plan an accident.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along those same lines, my son called me on Friday saying that the lines around Costco went around the corner with panicked people trying to get in + buy stockpile groceries + T.P., etc. He thought it had to do with the Thursday market drop but I would be more inclined to think it is a fear of the coronavirus + folks just want to stay at home, stockpiled. Once again I tip my hat to the Mormons.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, Costco here was out of water, Gator Aid, basic medicines for headaches, flu/colds. One lady had about 40 cases of water going out to her truck. I hear that some store shelves are empty. Of course, no one can find medical masks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they go fast. The bottled water always goes 1st as well. Even during the hurricane season that always goes fast, even this far inland. Human panic nature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, my son just got back from a seminar in NYC + in the process of riding the subway one guy mentioned to him (via the virus scare) "You know we used to cough to cover our farts, now we fart to cover our coughs."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marry a nurse, that is what I did....

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. My original request has been overtaken by unforseen events, but I will circle back in a few weeks.
I am curious though. When corona 20 comes out, and it's main symptom is diarrhea, will there be a run on nasal sprays?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"When in danger or in doubt
Run in circles, scream + shout".