New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing Aids Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Well after a lifetime of shooting, noisey work environments, fireworks, and ear infections, my hearing is finally to the point where I think I need hearing aids...

But I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend $3K per ear for hearing aids! I'd rather invest in a Cooper, and you will just have to scream at me!

I did find these, from an article I read about a year ago, and wondered if any of you have any experience with them. only about a grand an ear for their top of the line aids.

Here are the links.. appreciate your input.

Audicus Hearing aids

Embrace hearing aids

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not learned by now..here it is:

You get what you pay for...simple as that.

If a 1K hearing aid was every bit as good as a 3K hearing aid, don't you think they would want more than 1/3 the price?

I'm worth and demand and get $30/hr...I sure won't be taking any $10/hr offers.

I hope this puts it into perspective. More importantly, protect what you have left.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I fought against getting aids for YEARS. I tried to go cheap. Bought some "sportear" I think was the name. They would even shut down and I could wear them for shooting. BS. Unless you have a huge hearing loss the ear channel is open. Even though the unit shut down the ear was open. Didn't pull the trigger the second time.

Don't even consider a non digital. You need to have them adjust for your exact loss. The old and cheap units are s simple amp. they make EVERYTHING louder.

I've tried a total of 5 brands most gave me too much background crap. Each time I've ended up with Oticon. Not exactly cheap I paid %5200 for the pair. But they talk to my phone, TV I can turn them up or down off and 4 different programs. Like forward in a restaurant etc.

http://www.oticon.com/products...alta/about-alta.aspx

I know your pain I would have much rather bought a nice rifle. But after a couple weeks I can't imagine being without them.

Don't go cheap. If the office you deal with doesn't give 30 day free trial walk away.

As to sending in your test and them sending a programed unit fit for you. bsflag. Yes the aid will need to be set for you. Then tweaked several times. Hard to get it right 2000 miles away. that was part of the issue with my first pair. No hands on rep. Part of what you pay for if lifetime support at an office. Heck even the inserts might need to be changed a couple times to find one that fits your ear and stays in place. Nothing worse than a unit that doesn't stay in your ear.

Hey you can always drive to Mexico and have your open heart surgery done cheaper as well. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've tried a total of 5 brands most gave me too much background crap. Each time I've ended up with Oticon. Not exactly cheap I paid %5200 for the pair. But they talk to my phone, TV I can turn them up or down off and 4 different programs. Like forward in a restaurant etc.

http://www.oticon.com/products...alta/about-alta.aspx

I know your pain I would have much rather bought a nice rifle. But after a couple weeks I can't imagine being without them.

Don't go cheap. If the office you deal with doesn't give 30 day free trial walk away.

A guy I work with had a set of Oticons, I think he paid like $8K for the pair.. Well, he broke one, and not having the 4K to replace it right away, he got one of these to "get by"... He did say it wasn't quite as good as the Oticon, but it was damn close. And close enough, would work for me, I'm nowhere near as deaf as he is.

But that is only one man's experience.. I'm looking for someone else that has first hand experience with either of these companies.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Strange. I have had an aids stop working after warranty. Paid a simply $250 rebuild fee gave me a new 1yr warranty. Can't imagine why they would want $4000 for a repair.

It is your hearing and your $$ you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

Sorry I can't give you any first hand on those two companies. The cheap ones I tried sucked. I've also tried more expensive ones than what I have now and they sucked as well. Could also me since I have a 60% loss I have issues.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I am deaf in my left ear and have been for several years. My first aid was a Seimans behind the ear with a moulded earpiece. I wore it 5 years till it finally went belly up. My new one is an Oticon.Both cost around $850 each. The current Oticon comes with 36 batteries per year for 2 years. Batteries are 312's and last about 6 days. Both aids have been programmable and are digital. The Seimans used a slightly larger battery that got approx 28 days life. I have found that the more expensive the aid the smaller they are with an either an attedant smaller battery or a rechargeable one you must remove the aid and recharge over night. If I have one that goes dead I just change it out immediately no matter where I am. I know you can see the behind the ear models but I am not particularly vain in that respect. think my current one is guaranteed for 3 years. I am near having to have one for my right ear also and it will probably be a like one. I have no experience with any other makes or styles. I am quite happy with what I have but I can emphasize IT IS NOT NORMAL HEARING WITH AN AID but it beats hell out of deafness.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 5 year old Oticons. Great product.
The secret is the audiologist. A good one will be able to tune them specifically to your hearing loss. You have to be willing To go back several times, as after an adjustment it takes a while to detect a change for Bette for worse.
Get the open type ear piece not molded with the open ear piece you do not have that feeling of having a stopped up ear. A real life changer for me. I'm going to try the new o da that have blue tooth connectivity to your smart phone, so you can make adjustment according to your surrounding. In Texas and I believe I. Most state there is either a 60 or 90 day return period (by law). If you don't like them for any reason they are returnable no charge.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get the open type ear piece not molded with the open ear piece you do not have that feeling of having a stopped up ear

Sometimes you get to a point that without a molded piece you get so much feedback you have no choice. Speaking from experience. Mine are molded but still have an open tunnel. I hear base through the channel and have no feeling of a stopped up ear.

If possible the open type do reduce the moisture build up. Mine use the 312s and I get a full 7 days.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K