Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

navy vet question Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
my dad served in the medical corps in the navy during ww2. he died 2 years ago and my sister sent me an official navy folder U.S. NAVY OFFICER SERVICE RECORD. its full of papers from when he volunteered to when he was discharged. was on a ton of diff ships during the war. its all fairly interesting stuff to me, but as soon as i'm gone the kids are gonna shitcan it i'm sure along with all my personal papers etc. would a museum be interested in this stuff or do they have a boatload (shipload)? of this stuff already.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These folks may be able to help:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library.html
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

my dad served in the medical corps in the navy during ww2. he died 2 years ago and my sister sent me an official navy folder U.S. NAVY OFFICER SERVICE RECORD. its full of papers from when he volunteered to when he was discharged. was on a ton of diff ships during the war. its all fairly interesting stuff to me, but as soon as i'm gone the kids are gonna shitcan it i'm sure along with all my personal papers etc. would a museum be interested in this stuff or do they have a boatload (shipload)? of this stuff already.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father was in the army stationed in the Middle East during WWII. I am interested in the papers and stuff but I am probably also the end of the line for it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of a letter that was written by my ancestor to his brother. He was a field surgeon at Gettysburg. Very interesting + they had such good diction in those days. My aunt gave the original to the Gettysburg museum after making copies.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
My father was in the army stationed in the Middle East during WWII. I am interested in the papers and stuff but I am probably also the end of the line for it.

just curious, but being "army" descended, and an individual not a museum or such why are you interested in navy papers? kinda sorta shared history?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

quote:
sent em an email. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

just curious, but being "army" descended, and an individual not a museum or such why are you interested in navy papers? kinda sorta shared history?

I did not make myself understood. I had some interest in my father's papers; others' papers not so much.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ahhhh....ok. got it. looks like i'm the one that misunderstood!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

quote:

just got an answer from them. says they accept no personal papers but will take actual items from ships such as notices, announcements, posters, menus, etc. only exception being personal diaries. shoulda told em i had the ships bell. not true but sure i woulda gotten a diff answer!