Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Study: Religion in America Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Frankly, I am surprised that 62 million Americans describe themselves as "evangelicals".

quote:
Study: Americans becoming less Christian, more secular

The Associated Press
RACHEL ZOLLMay 12th 2015

NEW YORK (AP) - The number of Americans who don't affiliate with a particular religion has grown to 56 million in recent years, making the faith group researchers call "nones" the second-largest in total numbers behind evangelicals, according to a Pew Research Center study released Tuesday.

Christianity is still the dominant faith by far in the U.S.; 7 in 10 Americans identify with the tradition. However, the ranks of Christians have declined as the segment of people with no religion has grown, the survey says.

Between 2007 and 2014, when Pew conducted two major surveys of U.S. religious life, Americans who described themselves as atheist, agnostic or of no particular faith grew from 16 percent to nearly 23 percent. At the same time, Christians dropped from about 78 percent to just under 71 percent of the population. Protestants now comprise 46.5 percent of what was once a predominantly Protestant country.

Researchers have long debated whether people with no religion should be defined as secular since the category includes those who believe in God or consider themselves "spiritual." But the new Pew study found increasing signs of secularism.

Last year, 31 percent of "nones" said they were atheist or agnostic, compared to 25 percent in 2007, and the percentage who said religion was important to them dropped.
Greg Smith, Pew's associate research director, said the findings "point to substantive changes" among the religiously unaffiliated, not just a shift in how people describe themselves. Secular groups have become increasingly organized to counter bias against them and keep religion out of public life through lawsuits and lobbying lawmakers.

The growth of "nones" has political significance as well. People with no religion tend to vote Democratic, just as white evangelicals tend to vote Republican. The Pew study found a slight drop - about 1 percent - in the evangelical share of the population, which now comprises a quarter of Americans. But the overall number of evangelicals rose to about 62 million people.

Pew researchers said Christian losses were driven by decreases among mainline, or liberal, Protestants and Roman Catholics.
Mainline Protestants declined by about 5 million to 36 million between 2007 and 2014.

Pew found 13 percent of U.S. adults are former Catholics. The study put the number of Catholic adults at 51 million, or just over one-fifth of the U.S. population, a drop of about 3 percent over seven years. In 2007, Catholics made up about one-quarter of Americans.

However, Pew researchers acknowledge those conclusions differ from those of some other major studies that found only slight declines or even a slight uptick in the numbers of Catholics in the last couple of years.
Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, which tracks American Catholicism, puts the U.S. adult Catholic population at 61 million.

Regarding other religions, Pew found an increase in membership of non-Christian faiths, driven mainly by growing numbers of Muslims and Hindus. Despite the increase, their numbers remain small. Muslims and Hindus each comprise less than 1 percent of the U.S. population. The number of Jews rose slightly over the period, from 1.7 percent to 1.9 percent of Americans.

Overall, religious groups have become more ethnically diverse along with the broader population. Latinos now comprise one-third of U.S. Roman Catholics, although fewer U.S. Latinos identify as Catholic overall. One-quarter of evangelicals and 14 percent of mainline Protestants are racial minorities. Membership in historically black churches has remained relatively stable over the period.

The survey of 35,000 people, titled "America's Changing Religious Landscape," was conducted in English and Spanish from June 4 through Sept. 30 of last year and has a margin of error of plus or minus 0.6 percentage points.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Polling is a very inexact science. Check out the recent UK elections and the pre-election polls.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Polling is a very inexact science. Check out the recent UK elections and the pre-election polls.

Well, yes and no. Political polls, partially due to costs and time constraints often have smaller sample groups. In fact, the poll with the largest sample in the latest British election nailed it with a 6% margin for the Conservatives which was the actual result. That poll had almost the same number of participants as this religious one, over 34,000. Smaller groups obviously leave more room for error. However, this poll questioned 35,000 people which should make it fairly accurate IMO. It might be off a percent or so on the larger numbers but the general ratios are probably close to correct.

I was also surprised the percent of population that identified their religion as Jewish was only 1.9%. I would have thought it was higher.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am an Eastern Orthodox Catholic, I have no idea what an Evangelical is.

I am voting for Cruz in the primary, and hoping for a Cruz/Carson ticket in November of next year.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
[QUOTE]

I was also surprised the percent of population that identified their religion as Jewish was only 1.9%. I would have thought it was higher.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease. Go to Beverly Hills it is Jewadise, I had never personally ever seen someone wearing one of those little hats until recently.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I am voting for Cruz in the primary, and hoping for a Cruz/Carson ticket in November of next year.

Wow!
I agree with you this time.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whether I agree with some of their positions or not is irrelevant. There is a real political world out there and a Cruz/Carson ticket will ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE another Democrat President.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatorgordo: I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE you cannot predict the future (of anything). No one can. Nice try, however.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Gatorgordo: I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE you cannot predict the future (of anything). No one can. Nice try, however.....

True, but I'm willing to back my judgement with hard cash, are you?

One of my favorite, of many, Damon Runyan quotes, "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's how the smart money bets."

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finding someone who would bet money on a Cruz/Carson ticket would be like taking candy from a baby.

I don't think that team could beat a Biden/Gatogordo ticket (assuming we could get Gato drunk enough to make him willing to get that close to Biden.)

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatorgordo: Nope, hard cash has nothing to do with predicting the future. Face it, you can't. One of my favorite sayings (as applies to people like you): 'Man with head up ass can't see for sh*t'.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
So, Fat Cat, who do you think would make up a winning ticket?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

Wow!
I agree with you this time.

I didn't know we had argued about much?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think we've had much arguments, just disagreements.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:

True, but I'm willing to back my judgement with hard cash, are you?

One of my favorite, of many, Damon Runyan quotes, "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's how the smart money bets."

I always learn something new on ar. The quote is great - a wise extension of a great bible passage. Ecclesiastes 9:11 has always been my favorite bible quote.

On voting and politics i am the wrong guy - i think at the end of the day there is a 300-500 basis point difference in tax rates between the political parties. Does not really matter who runs the executive as long as there is grind lock and everything is normally the same.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:

Well, yes and no. Political polls, partially due to costs and time constraints often have smaller sample groups. In fact, the poll with the largest sample in the latest British election nailed it with a 6% margin for the Conservatives which was the actual result. That poll had almost the same number of participants as this religious one, over 34,000. Smaller groups obviously leave more room for error. However, this poll questioned 35,000 people which should make it fairly accurate IMO. It might be off a percent or so on the larger numbers but the general ratios are probably close to correct.

1.9 percent is an over count. I bet there are a lot of non religious jews who identify as jewish but not in a religious sense but in a cultural sense.

Also the growth in jewish population is largely related to orthodox growth.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I always look at Evangelicals as people who have failed in life, but want to tell the rest of us what we're doing wrong. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so many religions to choose from.....

would be interesting to read a report on how peoplpe make their choices......

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
so many religions to choose from.....

would be interesting to read a report on how peoplpe make their choices......

Circa 1977 I found this tome to be quiet interesting. In my well-spent youth I read extensively and was familar with each of the worldviews discussed.............

http://www.amazon.com/The-Univ...ldview/dp/0830838503

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I know what an Evangelical is. I'm not. I'm a plain vanilla Catholic, although not a very good one.

Does my religion impact my choice in political candidates? Of course. I hate liars. Translated, I don't like Democrats of any kind or description. All politicians are suspect, but we can rule all Democrats out summarily.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Lavaca completely on the Democrat issue. funny though,we in the "solid south" were always Democrats until Nixon.I remember after church in 64 the family having lunch + being appalled that Uncle Dick was going to vote for Goldwater. The issue now is who can we run? I like Rand Paul but I don't think much of his success rate;Christy is a fool;Cruz does'nt have a chance,so who do we pick to represent the Rep. Party? This a very serious + important question with potentially devastating results. I will vote a straight Rep. ticket, I just hope we have a candidate with a chance.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My parents were staunch Democrats, but were more conservative than the Republicans of today. I would like to see a Cruz-Carson ticket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cruz does'nt have a chance

You really think so. I know the MSM and establishment Republicans don't like him. But he does stand up for what he believes in.

I really like that myself....

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that as well myself. The point is getting someone who will bring in the votes. Eisenhower was very good to this nation (in many ways) but when Nixon ran against JFK,it was dead before it started. In the very words of my mother-in -law, Any woman who would not vote for John Kennedy has a serious hormonal problem.A good point but sad to say,we have no one with (sex appeal),
they don't either but that is no help.We still need ideas. Not candidants as we have not been able to choose them in the past.Truly!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do as well. My concern is enough votes on our side to get a Republican into the race who has a chance to win. I have leanings to the Independant + tea party actions but that only detracts from our numbers on defeating the Democratic (menace) my words.