New
Find
Notify
Tools

big killer Croc Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Villagers Cooperate to Load Dead Killer Crocodile onto Truck by EthnoScape.
This 19-foot estuarine crocodile fatally attacked a girl bathing in a local river near Sangatta, East Kalimantan in Indonesia. Villagers hunted down the creature and killed it. Here, they are attempting to load the carcass onto a truck transporting it to a museum.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Holy Shit. I'm never going swimming again...or even getting near the water. In fact, just to be safe, no more baths and no more water in the whiskey. Thanks a lot Steve.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy chit - now thats a croc

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW if you look at things by scale you could estimate that just the head of that croc is 3' long. Scary!

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I planned a dive in Papua, then read the information below in Wikipedia and thought better of it. I hadn't thought much about crocodiles in Indonesia, but that bruiser going in the back of the truck, is a pretty good example. The spooky part is that after Perth, my next assignment looks like East Kalimantan.

The bite force just seems unreal when compared to a great white.

Wikipedia - The largest recorded crocodile is a giant saltwater crocodile measured at 8.6 metres (28 ft) and 1,352 kilograms (2,980 lb) shot in Australia, Queensland in 1957. A replica of this crocodile has been made as a tourist attraction. The largest living crocodile known is a 7.1 metres (23 ft) long saltwater crocodile, in Orissa, India. It lives in Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary and in June 2006, was entered in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Two larger certifiable records are both of 6.2 metres (20 ft) crocodiles. The first crocodile was shot in the Mary River in the Northern Territory of Australia in 1974 by poachers and measured by wildlife rangers. The second crocodile was killed in 1983 in the Fly River, Papua New Guinea. In the case of the second crocodile it was actually the skin that was measured by zoologist Jerome Montague, and as skins are known to underestimate the size of the actual animal, it is possible this crocodile was at least another 10 cm longer.

Powerful muscles close the jaws and hold them shut. These jaws can bite down with immense force, by far the strongest bite of any animal. The crocodile's bite force is more than 5,000 pounds per square inch (340 atm), compared to just 335 pounds per square inch (22.8 atm) for a rottweiler, 400 pounds per square inch (27 atm) for a large great white shark, or 800 pounds per square inch (54 atm) to 1,000 pounds per square inch (68 atm) for a hyena.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
WOW! Eeker Eeker

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... the villagers do not appear to know much about loading a heavy animal into a truck bed. Big Grin

My boys gave me grey hair as it was. I wouldn't savor raising a family around those things.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote