Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks Like Cabelas' is up for sale Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Saw this on another site, so if you have Cabela bucks might consider using them, seems Bass Pro might be interested
http://m.newson6.com/Story.asp...1771053&catId=112042

Cabela’s in play. Privately held outdoor retailer Bass Pro Shops has reportedly partnered with Goldman Sachs Group private equity arm to make an offer for U.S. hunting and fishing store chain Cabela's Inc., Reuters says.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
I believe Cabelas went to crap when Dick Cabelas was no longer running it.

I used to get 'world's foremost shopper' certificates due to my patronage. They have now screwed up all 3 of my last orders. The last time I called,Some bimbet in FL answered the phone after waiting (5) minutes.
That never happened years ago AND then screwed up my order.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It blew my mind when Cabela's employees working the booth at the DSC show a few years ago didn't know the people running their Outdoor Adventure group. You don't put people behind the counter simply because they like to hunt. They need to know something about the product they are trying to push.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Phoenix area has both a Bass Pro and a Cabelas, which gives one the opportunity to compare them with each other literally in the same day. There is no comparison, at least with these two stores. Bass Pro is head and shoulders above Cabelas in variety and volume of inventory, knowledgeable and helpful staff, store layout and organization. The staff in the Bass Pro gun & ammo department is far better trained than at Cabelas. I'd say pricing is about the same for similar merchandise, and in some cases a little higher at Bass Pro, but overall the experience @ Bass Pro is superior to Cabelas, IMHO.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a not so related story, Cabelas in Calgary was broken in and a bunch of guns stolen.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2651...porting-goods-store/

Thought the sale was a done deal a while ago.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who actually buys stuff in a "store" anymore, especially smallish durable goods.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the mid 70's I was on a job in Springfield,Mo. where they opened a new store called Bass Pro Shop.From that little shop who could imagine they would grow so big.On a more serious matter however;I have been saving my Cabela's points for years to someday buy something that I would not spend money on. Does anyone know if the sale goes through if the new power structure will honor the previous owners obligations?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to buy tons of stuff from Cabelas. Was great before they went public and even for a while thereafter.

Now Midway is my go to place.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cabelas store in Connecticut is spectacular.

What with it's huge diorama of animals in the cathedral building it's many times any other outdoor store.

Even though I had a compete collection they had some even more interesting guns.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Quality has been on a steady slow decline. The stuff you used to buy when they were online over a decade ago was decent.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shop at cabelas about once a month in Rogers Mn and think their store is great.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote