THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Would you hire either one of these people?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you hire either one of these people? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pil...oogle-171500033.html

A pilot and an architect. Both charge forward without a question. Lacking knowledge they make false assumptions. I was a hiring manager for ten years and fully expected candidates to ask clarifying questions. If they were at work would they design a building without knowing loads? Take off in an aircraft without knowing performance parameters and weight and balance? Makes you shudder to think one was flying your plane or designed the bridge you were driving over.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You can't judge a book by its cover. In the late 60s, a friend of mine in Houston had a boyfriend that was a computer whiz that designed the war games for the pentagon. The only problem there was that he had long hair + a beard + they were NOT going to let some hippie into the pentagon. As Eillene told the story it took quite some time + influence to get him in to where he needed to be. Once there he had them set up + was on his way. My middle son has a video game development company + of course all of his employees are nerds. So is he even though I have been taking him hunting all his life + he is into physical fitness + looks like a viking. Appearances can be deceiving.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brought back a few memories from 1970. I interviewed with Texaco and the man asked me to "sell" him the ashtray that was sitting on his desk. Not sure what the right answer was, but I immediately knew I didn't want to work for Texaco.

Based on the rambling answers, I don't think either of those young ladies would be a good fit to work with ME, but then I would not have been in need of either a pilot nor an architect.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, apeaking of the ashtray trick; that was also a hiring hipe back in the data when we all smoked. One would go in for an interview + smoking was allowed (but there was no ashrays) so how does the new young kid deal with it? Once the word got out everyone arrived with an ashtray in their pocket. Here is interesting trivia 101. The reason for the cuffs on men's suit trousers at the turn of the century + thereafter was to use the curled up cuff to contain your cigar ash in any internal meeting in which you might be caused to lose face otherwise.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny in a way that at the same time, chewing tobacco was prevalent + although there were cuspidors everywhere, no one thought anything about anyone spitting a quid on the floor. Even today, or should I say 50 years ago I went to a quid spitting contest right out of Springfield Mo.. The guys would take their chaws + get ready. They were on the starting line 'REALLY'. All the guys were doing a swaying motion back + forth with 2 fingers holding down the sides of the lips. These guys were serious! When the bell rang, everyone spit. The winner did 25 feet in a 5" circle. what a claim to fame Big Grin