Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms prices? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
It seems to me that (new) firearms prices are quite high. Normally prices are high when the Democrats are in office, and low when Republicans are in office. what's going on? No manufacturing?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple economics 101. Supply and demand dictates price. Demands for firearms are at an all time high not because of who is in power, but because of the fear generated by anarchists wanting to overthrow the government. Supply is limited, thus price increases.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Quite true. The COVID panic was enough by itself (i.E. T.P. shortage) but compounded by the antifa + other social unrest deeds, guns are at a premium. So is ammo if you can find it. I reloaded for years so that is not an issue for me but to many it is. And to add to this hysteria the thought in this election year that the Dems platform is to disarm the public (their last bastion of self defence). Other than Soros, who writes this stuff?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, I guess, except I suspect that it is the same people buying more guns, rather than new people buying guns. I guess I will just wait!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semi auto handguns and AR's are driving the market. For the most part other rifles, revolvers, and shotguns are the same or reduced in value over the last year.
I bought 4 semi autos pistols in March of this year in the 475 to 850 price range. All 4 are now selling at roughly 150 (or more) above what I paid.

You want a shocker? Try to find a decent deal on 9mm ammo or 9mm bullets.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Academy is sold out of most guns.

Local guys get shipments from distributors that get sold out quickly.

Few glocks or Taurus in stock. Same with anything assault rifle.

Lots of new buyers. Many of the new buyers are not the typical white male that buys guns.

No pistol and 223 ammo - other stuff is available.

I have a buddy who is invested in magpul and savage in their family office. Magpul has 3 month back order. Savage at 60 percent plant utilization.

Firearms guys are having issues getting their staff to work. People don’t want to be in close confined assembly areas. European factories have massive govt subsidies to stay shut down.

Also given the election no one wants to be stuck holding a lot of firearms that could be banned in their supply chain. Worried about what recently happened in Canada.

I have not seen price gouging like after sandy hook. There is anger about that price gouging.

Overall guns are similar to bicycles today. Uptick in demand with Blocked supply chain results in shortage.

I am Not shooting any 9mm anytime soon but I have a ton of 22 rimfire and rifle ammo to shoot.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m making a number of guns possibly for sale. I will post them at near retail prices and then the game begins. They don’t have to go, but won’t cry if they do. I may post some here, but there are quite a lot.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine who knows the owner of a large sporting goods store in Omaha told Harry that they can't keep guns in inventory as they are moving so fast + commented that the vast amount of purchasers don't know anything about guns. That sounds like new buyers to me.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
The gun shop that I frequent usually has plenty of guns to pick from. 3 weeks ago they had 4 and were taking orders on what was arriving the next week. They told one customer (there were 12 waiting to order/pickup) that they had 200 forms waiting to be processed by the gov't. Most were first time purchases.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, Remington files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today!!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem now is finding ammunition.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Even those of us who reload need components. A buddy told me last night that CCI has stopped primer production in their plant due to COVID + IF everything clears up by the end of the year they will only be 1 year behind. Let us not forget to take in the election year factor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addendum to the primer issue; when Obama was elected the 1st time + all the shooting markets were chaos, primers were unavailable for a time. Then my dealer came up with some Federals. I had multiple cases of nonfiring due to the defective primers. It seems that when the demand overrode the supply that Federal was outsourcing out of China + we know how good their quality control is. I've been reluctant to but Federal primers ever since.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I posted on the Reloading forum on Accurate Reloading for the first time in 2k plus posts. It doesn't make sense for me.

I did pop into Academy today to buy gym stuff, but I wandered to the gun area as I always do. Everything seemed decimated. Without being cocky, I have a better selection of ammo and guns.

I am interested in one of those Yildiz SxS in .410, but they didn't even have those. I won't even talk about the fellas behind the counter...

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I posted on the Reloading forum on Accurate Reloading for the first time in 2k plus posts. It doesn't make sense for me.

I did pop into Academy today to buy gym stuff, but I wandered to the gun area as I always do. Everything seemed decimated. Without being cocky, I have a better selection of ammo and guns.

I am interested in one of those Yildiz SxS in .410, but they didn't even have those. I won't even talk about the fellas behind the counter...

Same here in central Florida. Consumers trust academy.

Local guns shops out of mainly glocks, Taurus, ar, shotguns ect

All the hunting rifles and rifle ammo other than 556 and 300 blackout is available.

I see people clamoring for a Glock and not buying h&k vp9. That is plain stupid. Why pay a premium for Glock and not buy h&k for some price.

Used guns gone everywhere. People arming up - new first time buyers.

I need to sell some guns. I just won’t sell in a private transaction.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the people behind the counter. I remember reading an article by Bob Brownell many years ago that advocated dealing with the REAL gun stores + not just a hardware chain. I know times have changed over the years but not the basic theory. Deal with those that strictly make their living in gun sales + service as in general they know what they're doing. Whereas the chains have inexperienced help who really can't give you any service after the sale if needed. Or knowledge either, + I think that is very important to a 1st-time buyer. There have been more women (+ some men) who have been turned off of the sport due to a macho attitude + selling them something beyond their capabilities.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
As to the people behind the counter. I remember reading an article by Bob Brownell many years ago that advocated dealing with the REAL gun stores + not just a hardware chain. I know times have changed over the years but not the basic theory. Deal with those that strictly make their living in gun sales + service as in general they know what they're doing. Whereas the chains have inexperienced help who really can't give you any service after the sale if needed. Or knowledge either, + I think that is very important to a 1st-time buyer. There have been more women (+ some men) who have been turned off of the sport due to a macho attitude + selling them something beyond their capabilities.

I have seen many different guys behind the counter and also at gun shows. I worked for SWFA all four years of high school before they started their mail order business.

Academy, although I didn't talk to him, had an older gentleman and a younger dude. I assumed the older gentleman was doing it as a PT gig just to get away from the wife. The younger guy was really just a place holder and directing people to the older guy if they had serious questions.

The guys I definitely try to avoid are in their 20s-30s and are strapped down with some tactical holster and can quote anything out of the latest SOF magazine (is that still published?).

Just seeing that background checks have been at crazy high levels the past few months, it does make one wonder how many first time buyers got some terrible advice.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold a crappy Russian ak for more than I paid and this sucker barely could shoot 10 moa. Buying a p210 with Some of the proceeds.

There is crazy demand for ak ar ect but everything sub $1.5k.

No 9mm ammo but bought Barnes 180 tsx 30/06 loaded for $20.

Everyone is preparing for a revolution buying guns that will likely be nfa and registered under a Biden presidency.

My neighbor wants to buy a shotgun.

Time to sell more guns.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between Antifa and BLM, they have been a Godsend for gun and ammo sales. But better enjoy it while they can because if Biden is elected, the industry will crash.

It won't be anything like it was under the Obama years.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly won't help ammo sales if he gets that 30% ammo tax passed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with a buddy on the phone who found 2 boxes of CCI LR primers for $35.00 per K box at one of the suppliers + wasn't sure if he wanted to spend the extra because they had been $19.95. A no brainer to me, either you want primers or you don't + an extra $15.00 per K is a drop in the bucket, especially for a product that is mostly unavailable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo sales? Try finding ammo.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I was in our local Academy late last week and there was literally nothing (ok, maybe a little) for sale either in firearms or ammo.

This Academy stocks its ammo on one long aisle with 4 levels of shelf, always overflowing with rifle and pistol ammo (shotshells are on a different aisle).

The metallic aisle was almost completely empty. What was there occupied about two feet of space on two of the 4 shelves.

No .223/5.56, 45 ACP, 9mm, 38, or any other mainstream ammo. A few boxes of .357 and a little 30-06, plus some uncommon calibers.

The clerk told me they get 2 shipments of ammo a week, and once they get it on the shelves it's gone in less than 2 hours. Biggest sellers: 9mm and .223.

Shotgun shells were depleted also, especially 12 ga buckshot, but there was some--not a lot--of sub gauge stock in 8 & 9 shot, which is what I was looking for.

Handgun case was down to a few semis and one 38 revolver. Of course, not an AR to be seen, nor any shotguns to speak of except a good number of Yildiz.

Scary.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1540 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time buyers still driving the market according to the shops in my area. I wish more shops had a range to help some of these folks, although the ones I talked to seem to have someone to help them learn in mind.