New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigration Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

None of the government institutions or policy are set up to achieve this. Only think that moves towards Teddy's outcomes is the US capitalist system and a desire to advance upwards in a high competitive economy and society.

Time government and public policy get on the right band wagon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, it's not my business, but, in my opinion, the current wave of immigration, Americans, and Europeans are perceived incorrectly. Americans consider themselves "same immigrants" see themselves as the example and specimen. "We digest arrived in the 19-20 centuries!". But they do not take into account the fact that then came the Irish, Germans, Italians, European Jews - cultural, civilization were close. But they forget that they themselves are white Americans not assimilated with the Navajo, Cherokees, Mohicans, etc.. - although fairly long lived side-by-side relatively peacefully and even interact.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Native Americans was a tragedy, but you don't hear US complaining about it like the black and Hispanic communities. I am part Cherokee. My grandmother was 100%. We are the original Americans.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow is correct. Most immigrants from wherever at some point likely, very likely suffered some type of discrimination. If you do not at some point let go of that, not forget it but let go of it, you can never make the complete assimilation. America is a complex place with many mistakes but our strength comes from learning from them but then letting go and making the transition and assimilation complete. A few groups are not doing this yet they wonder why they are on the outside so to speak. We cannot, ever, change the past - just try to make a better future.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Every country in the world has had a previous occupier.I can trace my lineage back to the Salem colonies;so what. The point is what T.R. is saying. If you want to come here + be an American,then be an American. Up until recently that was the mindset.If I were a rude man I would alude to muslims + mexican reactionaries,but I'm not.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not being rude, NC, to point out the obvious and the truth. If so, then consider me rude, but a truth teller. All who are "here first" were not "here first". Always someone to supplant someone else. It is how the earth was populated/occupied. None of which, I understand, was pretty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any of you feel like migrating to Australia the following points will be a great advantage to getting here and with citizenship.

1) Be unable to speak English and make a pledge to never learn English.

2) Hate the Australian (and also the American) way of life.

3) Pledge to change the Australian way of life to be the same as the shit holes of the world.

4) Pledge to never work and have lots of kids who will never work

I am sure you get the idea.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote