The Accurate Reloading Forums
Japanese Sword

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3611043/m/4731050902

07 March 2015, 09:55
guncurtis2
Japanese Sword
Interesting piece. Authentic. As you can see, the sheath has seen better days and the halves have separated. The hilt is missing the dowel which secures it to the blade.

I'm not a collector so I cant give much information on it but will consider offers and or trades.

Curtis
07 March 2015, 17:54
p dog shooter
Curtis if this an Authentic sword and not a modern reproduction you should really find some one knowable to help you price it.
07 March 2015, 18:06
Gatogordo
+10

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
07 March 2015, 18:23
eezridr
My father had two swords he brought back after the occupation of Japan. One was very similar to the one depicted. The other was a calvary sword not unlike you might had seen in the civil war. I still have the calvary sword. My father sold the samari sword 15 years ago for about $1K.
The calvary sword was "dulled" and was for decoration. The Samari was sharp but not the best of steel. Neither had any rust. Wish I still had the Samari.
I think soldiers brought back a lot of this stuff after WWII. My father had a couple Nambu pistols and ariska rifles (6.5 & 7.7).
EZ
07 March 2015, 20:13
timg953
Looks like the jap military issue officers sword that I have in my collection. Mine is arsenal made but you should check for markings under the handle as some family swords were cut down and issued with the military sheath and handle. That is about the extent of my imperial Japanese sword knowledge. I hope it helps.
07 March 2015, 20:35
Leopardtrack
I would be interested in that sword but I too wonder if its real or a Chinese knock off...it looks almost too "New" to be authentic?

How did you get it?? Do you know any of its history?
07 March 2015, 21:24
guncurtis2
What I was told about this was that my grandfather brought the sword back after the war where it languished in a garage for years. My brothers got hold of it when he passed and were quite rough on it. It is still sharp but many nicks and things on the blade and some rust. I had a guy look at it some years ago and he believed that it was put together from parts of several swords. According to him the hilt was most likely much older than the blade but I cannot verify and of these facts. I may try to find someone with collector knowledge locally but if anyone knows of a collector who could help me by photos, I would be interested. Here are some more photos that will help give a better idea of what I have.

Curtis
07 March 2015, 21:31
Charles_Helm
Register at Sword Forum and post your pictures here:

http://www.swordforum.com/foru...hp?14-Nihon-to-Forum

There should be someone there to help you. Big difference between the mass-produced swords made for the war and those much older that were re-mounted for the war, or survived the mass destruction after the war.

There were also things made for the souvenir trade that were of much lower value.

-------------------------------

Some Pictures from Namibia

Some Pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

07 March 2015, 21:36
guncurtis2

Thanks Charles. I will do that. And here are a couple more photos.

Curtis
08 March 2015, 04:09
pagosawingnut
How much do you want for it?
08 March 2015, 04:43
dpcd
AR rules are that you must post a price; this is not an auction site.
10 March 2015, 11:24
NormanConquest
Interesting. I have one that a friends dad bought from the pacific theatre.I have a friend that does Camp Perry every year + he took it with him to show to the cheif of the Honolulo samurai society.I just wanted info. He would not give valuation;I understand. He driftded out the chopsticks (which hold the handle on) then read the gliffs that are written on the blade under the handle. Mine came from the late 1600's built in the KODO (clan or district,I don't know.)He did say that the bolster was probably worth more than the entire sword.Collectors want strange things;I like early model Mannlicker/Shoenauer carbines myself.Just goes to show.

Never mistake motion for action.
10 March 2015, 22:31
guncurtis2
I think these kinds of swords are like Garands. Lots of parts guns out there. They are nice to have and shoot but value can vary greatly.

Curtis
13 March 2015, 10:21
NormanConquest
Then again,like a P-08 Luger,if they all match,then you have a prize.

Never mistake motion for action.