Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Week Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Well a bad week for me On Monday my frig puked and on Wednesday morning went to get something out of the freezer notice water spots on floor opened the door and the meat was going soft,(Thanks for the good neighbor) I could hear the compressor trying to start then it would shut off,unplugged the freezer waited about 5 minutes same thing happened. tried to order the two but you can't buy either one everybody is out,The earliest I can get one is August 25th, There is a National shortage due too the pandemic everybody was buying up these appliances.

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your troubles, 300. Can you find one used on Craigslist to "limp by" with?
We are all stressed.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
There's a shortage on fridges?! Woulda never guessed that. How many coolers do you have on hand? Enough to fill with ice and the remaining meat and limp by for a while?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Meat can be pressure canned. I do up quite a lot every year. Shelf stable!

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about replacement appliances but I think you may have experienced a voltage drop or spike that knocked both of them out. If I were you, I would want to get to the bottom of this before blindly plugging in new appliances. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The freezer was 22 years old and the frig was used 5 years ago. I got a good neighbor he helped me out he lots of room in his freezer,(thank God for good neighbor) I checked the voltage on the outlets it was 120 volts, Saturday before we lost the frig we did loose power for an hour,maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back. Thank you all for the Information.

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the cap on the freezer.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the capacitor on the freezer.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eat the ice cream first. Slice the meat and make jerky. Worked for us in big Siskyou County floods during the winter between '65 and '66.

When the electrical power comes back on, there are severe voltage surges that will kill unprotected appliances.
The electrolytic capacitors in the power supplies of televisions and computers are the first to die.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TomP I did bake for 4 hours on Wednesday baked bread,frozen pizza and we just bought some cookie dough about 4 dozen of cookies,I baked,Had some fried fish(bluegills) All my neighbors were happy with the buffet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300 win:
TomP I did bake for 4 hours on Wednesday baked bread,frozen pizza and we just bought some cookie dough about 4 dozen of cookies,I baked,Had some fried fish(bluegills) All my neighbors were happy with the buffet.

What goes around, comes around. They'll remember you when it's their turn...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 is dead-on, a friend tried to replace a freezer that crapped in May. No way Jose. Months on back order. People are adding capacity in their garages because of the pandemic. Not a bad idea. I've thought about it because our second fridge is 26 years old. Granted it was in storage for 15 of those years, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco Back in the day when I raised 4 children I bought a freezer and a guy gave me a used frig. Every time had a meat sale I would buy extra's then when I could afford it I would buy a 1/2 beef just in case I would get laid off. Good luck on your frig.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
While on the subject, I'll kill a myth. You CAN transport a refer or freezer lying down. You just need to set it upright for 24 hours before plugging it in. It allows all of the compressor oil to drain back down.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
While on the subject, I'll kill a myth. You CAN transport a refer or freezer lying down. You just need to set it upright for 24 hours before plugging it in. It allows all of the compressor oil to drain back down.

100%!
Having overseen the production of over 100,000 refrigerated chillers, I can confirm this. Refrigerators are less of a problem than chillers.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nutz. Right after the coffee pot finished this morning, the outlet that feeds it stopped working, and it's not the ground fault interrupter.
At least the coffee pot finished...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dull tooth, I was in the industry for many years, now semi-retired but still have an operational shop, but the myths fed to the public are still out there.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, along with the "Be Prepared" mindset, that is why I also keep a backup Melitta pot + funnel. I make my own filters from paper towels folded like we made paper naval hats when we were kids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even GFI outlets sometimes fail (especially if you have a plug W/O ground, although this usually just trips the outlet ) I assume everything else on your breakers circuit is still active?