New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whataburger Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted
Ate there for the first time..place in Baytown, TX.
Probably the best mushroom Swiss burger I ever tasted.
Now I know why you Texans rave about it!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are hard to beat. Whataburger is my go-to burger joint; consistently great.

Having said that, some of the best burgers I find are at just about any golf course grill. They put a little more care into making it and putting their burgers together. But, they aren't selling thousands a day either, so they can take their time.

If I want a "gourmet" burger, I like Liberty Burger. They also have the best onion rings around. (I hate an onion ring that you can't bite through. You think you have but when you pull away, the rest of the onion pulls out of the crust you're holding.)

Two of the signs of a good burger for me are:

1. Can I actually pick it up and eat it from start to finish, or do I have to eat it with a knife and fork. I'm not impressed with a burger six inches tall that you have to eat with tools.

2. Does the bun do the job from start to finish? I hate a bun that falls apart halfway through, making you eat the rest of the burger with tools. (Jungle Burger in McKinney has that problem. Great burger but the bun falls apart.)

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo all the above.

Kensco, Liberty is good in that category. I’m also a fan of Jake’s. If I recall, you’re in the Frisco area. There’s one just off Frisco Square and multiple locations throughout the area.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I get back from Africa, the first thing I REALLY want to eat is a Whataburger!!!

Sure there might be better gourmet type burgers, but Whataburger is hands down the best fast food burger ever and they have great fries as well.

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kensco on what makes a good burger. Most dinners around here can do it for less than the chains.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If anyone is driving on HWY 29 through Liberty Hill you NEED to check out Major's Burgers. They make them fresh + buy their potatoes in bulk + chop them themselves to make beer-battered fries. Their prices are fair too. They are well worth stopping for. Their chocolate malts are made fresh + thick as well. I can not recommend them too highly. And Fred the owner is a great guy that puts quality 1st. I live here + I know.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + BTW, + PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. While on the campaign trail Beto ate exclusively at Whataburger + was televised at all their locations. Kudos for Whataburger getting all that free publicity

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how many there are, but I think fewer Texas Burgers exist today than in the past. The were off I-45 in Buffalo and centerville.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whataburger absolutely rules. having said that, theres a small country style joint in martindale, the hwy 80 Feed Barn, that serves super charbroiled burgers. ate my first "in n out" burger in san marcos a few weeks ago. left most of it in the parking lot. raw meat, ice cold tomato slice. was gonna take it home to the dog but not that mad at him. but if had to live with only one, it would be a whataburger all the way on a wheat bun.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
At the risk of getting my Texas citizenship revoked, I have never found anything special about Whataburger. The buns tend to be on the gummy side and there is nothing special about the patty. I just don't get it, but then again, none of the chain burgers do anything for me. When I was a kid, there was a tiny local, 3 store chain called Uvalde Malt & Burger that made a greasy homemade burger and fries that just put the chains to shame, but those day's are long gone.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
At the risk of getting my Texas citizenship revoked, I have never found anything special about Whataburger. The buns tend to be on the gummy side and there is nothing special about the patty. I just don't get it, but then again, none of the chain burgers do anything for me. When I was a kid, there was a tiny local, 3 store chain called Uvalde Malt & Burger that made a greasy homemade burger and fries that just put the chains to shame, but those day's are long gone.

Malt and Burger was great until one of my friends in high school went to work at the one on Uvalde......we found out about the rat gnawed patties and roaches.......didn't taste so good any more.....

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Jim, I'm in Baytown a few more days. I'd buy you a burger for lunch if you are in Crosby. Wife and I are in the Texas part of a grand road trip.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double meat, double cheese, jalepenos. Standard order. Nuf said.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:

yes ur revoked! now go find a foreign country to live in, like kalifornia.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
If anyone is driving on HWY 29 through Liberty Hill you NEED to check out Major's Burgers. They make them fresh + buy their potatoes in bulk + chop them themselves to make beer-battered fries. Their prices are fair too. They are well worth stopping for. Their chocolate malts are made fresh + thick as well. I can not recommend them too highly. And Fred the owner is a great guy that puts quality 1st. I live here + I know.

I stopped there on the way home tonight and got a shake plus two slices of banana nut bread to go. The shake was really good. I’ll have some banana nut bread after dinner. Looks like a great place to eat. I’ll have lunch there next time I’m working in the area.

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you tried it, Fred + his wife do make some good food. I generally get the small burger because I can't eat all of the regular size. And you have to try the beer-battered fries.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Y'all are making me hungry. Whataburger makes a very good green chile cheeseburger, a better in my experience than the locally iconic Blake's Lottaburger.
But I have to drive an hour west to Las Cruces or 90 minutes south to El Paso to get a Whataburger.

Frowner

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I had lunch today at Major’s. Damn good burger and fries. More than I could eat. Not cheap, but McDonald’s is where you go for cheap. Thanks for recommending it.

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Managed an A&W in my younger days. Burgers still don't sit well with me. Big Grin We had a test, take the raw patty and crumble in in a glass of water. the filler will separate and float.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Whataburger was good if my memory serves me right. It is mostly about the meat. Fresh, not frozen meat is essential. Preferably grass fed. then you have to have the skill to cook it right. Two Double Double animal style with fresh onions added between the patties are as good as it gets from In and Out Burger. Smash Burger is good but expensive. Johnny Rockets is good but I’ll love their chili fries the most. Five Guys can be good but it is more about the fries again. I mostly eat burgers from Whole Foods market because of the fresh grass fed beef and their fries are great.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Boots Burger in Rockwall. It is in an old neighborhood off Hwy66. It is in a detached shed behind their home. Walkup only and only open for lunch until all the meat is gone. They put then in a brown paper sack that is greasy when you get home or back to work.
Love them, but Whataburger ain't bad.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Jim, I'm in Baytown a few more days. I'd buy you a burger for lunch if you are in Crosby. Wife and I are in the Texas part of a grand road trip.

Man! I'm sorry I missed the post! I would have liked that very much.

And there is a brand new Whataburger right on I10 at Garth where Richards Ptomaine Palace used to be.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDO, Glad you liked Major's. Fred + Diane put out a great product + you're right; it's more than you can eat. Hey, leftovers are O.K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Houston, Southwell's and Cliff's are also good choices.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
When I get back from Africa, the first thing I REALLY want to eat is a Whataburger!!!

Yep...there is one about a mile east of the south exit from DFW on Valley View Lane, always the first stop when retuning from Africa.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:

Man! I'm sorry I missed the post! I would have liked that very much.

And there is a brand new Whataburger right on I10 at Garth where Richards Ptomaine Palace used to be.......

We'll catch up another time. Wife and I are on a grand road trip. Headed West now, but we'll be back next year some time.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member