Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you buy? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Another post by BWW got me to thinking (and I have considered it previously a bit) where people buy their used guns. Moreover, where do you believe that you find the best deals?

I guess I am just not that lucky. Every Pawn Shop that I have been to visit has ridiculous prices. Probably the best prices that I have seen personally, are right here on AR.

I will say I did find a very nice Ruger M77 (300 Win 80's model) for $375 which was about the only great deal I believe I have ever got.

So, where do you buy used guns?

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't go to pawn shops much, some of my friends do. One of them found most of a brick of Eley 22 shells for a nice price, turned out the lube was dried up and they don't shoot too well. Maybe people don't pawn their best rifles.

Where we lived in Connecticut there were a half-dozen rifle shops within a half-hour's drive and it was good lunchtime entertainment to go see what was new.
Yes, that blue-state Connecticut (where there are churches with rifle ranges in the basement for the children's rifle teams).
The shop in Middlebury had the best selection of 22 rimfire ammunition that I've seen anywhere.

Sometimes there is a little buying/selling at rifle ranges too, paperwork here complicates matters somewhat but was actually less than you'd think.
Lately that's gotten worse; some smaller and more interesting shops have gone belly-up.

There was a little gunsmith shop in Roy that relined a Savage break-open pistol for me when we lived in Smithfield.
The Salt Lake City gun shows used to be excellent for variety. A couple of the guns I should have bought were passed up partly because I already had an armload.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garage or estate sales, particularly if the couple are getting a divorce. Been about forty years since I blundered into that situation.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that in many years either. I worked in a pawn shop years ago + the general markup was 300% over what they paid so they do have room to maneuver.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Another post by BWW got me to thinking (and I have considered it previously a bit) where people buy their used guns. Moreover, where do you believe that you find the best deals?

I guess I am just not that lucky. Every Pawn Shop that I have been to visit has ridiculous prices. Probably the best prices that I have seen personally, are right here on AR.

I will say I did find a very nice Ruger M77 (300 Win 80's model) for $375 which was about the only great deal I believe I have ever got.

Shotguns - beretta gallery and if I buy a f3 I will buy from blaser

Rifles - blaser and in the near future I will have savage build me some custom rifles. My buddy is in the investor group that owns savage. Other than an anschutz I doubt I am buying any other rifles.

Pistols and handguns - I buy from a local pawn shop. He basically sells it to me from cost plus a small markup on new guns. He is also super competitive on used guns. He is also willing to buy back guns from me for a competitive price.

Higher end handguns like korth and maybe a nighthawk I may want to buy in the future. I will buy online or directly from nighthawk.

Optics - I have bought from doug at camera land , eurooptics, blaser, academy, local gun store, local pawn shop and ar. Majority of my $$ in the future will be on new optics.

I would bargain with pawn shops. Unlike academy they are not stuck on a list price. You also need to find the right pawn shops. Some are an extension of their owners who basically use the pawn shop as a extension of their personal firearms hoarding.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Shotguns - beretta gallery and if I buy a f3 I will buy from blaser

Rifles - blaser and in the near future I will have savage build me some custom rifles. My buddy is in the investor group that owns savage. Other than an anschutz I doubt I am buying any other rifles.

Pistols and handguns - I buy from a local pawn shop. He basically sells it to me from cost plus a small markup on new guns. He is also super competitive on used guns. He is also willing to buy back guns from me for a competitive price.

Higher end handguns like korth and maybe a nighthawk I may want to buy in the future. I will buy online or directly from nighthawk.

Optics - I have bought from doug at camera land , eurooptics, blaser, academy, local gun store, local pawn shop and ar. Majority of my $$ in the future will be on new optics.

I would bargain with pawn shops. Unlike academy they are not stuck on a list price. You also need to find the right pawn shops. Some are an extension of their owners who basically use the pawn shop as a extension of their personal firearms hoarding.

Mike

You are correct about Beretta Gallery. They will deal with you and have the room.

It may be just me, but custom and Savage don’t belong combined in the same sentence. Maybe a Savage 99 TD from long ago. I know they have good results from the 110 and accutrigger, but I will stick to my guns there. Blaser makes a fine rifle, but again, not my cup of whiskey.

Nighthawk guns are great, but I can’t say I’ve had one. They also import the Korth and Cosmi. A Korth seems to be a Python Max. Cosmi shotguns are the unequaled semi auto in the world.

As said, pawn shops have plenty of room to play.

I have bought used from AR, local gun shops, gun jockeys that do gun shows when I want a specific gun. Off the shelf, regular guns, Grab a Gun and Academy have always been alright.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My last two guns were bought online. I could not find the best prices locally.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
First check www.ammoseek.com

You can select ammo, reloading or guns. I usually find out about things there.

I have a Buds Guns account and look there as well as CDNN and Able Ammo.

LAX Ammo has good deals from time to time.

Midway has awesome deals on closeout ammo, or did.

Being a retired military dude, I an shop the exchange which used to be horrible pricing and is now cheaper than anyone else because they can only mark up 10% over cost.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Very good relies and appreciated.

I don’t buy a lot of guns but I do buy them at times. My wife probably thinks I buy a lot ha ha.

I’ve bought two in the last year and probably will buy a few in the coming year

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am always in the market.

Some of the best deals come from letting people know that you are in the market.

And have the cash to buy.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I am always in the market.

Some of the best deals come from letting people know that you are in the market.

And have the cash to buy.

That is a great idea!

My Cousin and his family go to a benefit banquet with us every year. It seems that he or his family wins guns every year. He hardly hunts so I guess I better make him aware that I’m in the market.

Last year his son won a white gold medallion, 6.5 Creedmore. His friend bought it before we left the banquet.

His dad (my uncle) left him several guns. I really don’t want them to leave the family.