metal shortages Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I think depreciation went out the door a long time ago. My vehicles are old and have high mileage (I bought them used and with said mileage). An '03 caravan with 260K on it and a '12 impala with 155K and my insurance keeps going up. I have USAA who have always been the best for low rates but no longer.

Even my homeowner's keeps going up, up, up and I live in an old 1000SF, very modest home out in BFI. I bet rates will continue to climb. Can't escape it.

The vehicles are old enough that they should only have liability insurance. On them.

Do you have a straight value policy on the house or a replacement policy.

Replacement cost are going up greatly.

I only have PLPD on my old van. House, probably a replacement policy. I'm retired and do not have an income that supports payments for a newer vehicle nor a new house build. I noticed after USAA became less exclusive for membership, rates began creeping up pretty quickly. Their executives are also very well dressed.

The good thing is I own my farm outright as well as my junker vehicles.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, I'm in the same situation. I'm a USAA member as well but you're right, their prices have gone up. I also own my own home, property, shop, tools, truck, etc. (at least until the taxman decides otherwise). I'm semi-retired as well. I still have my shop + take in some jobs but there is no way to live on just social security + heaven knows that over the years I have paid in a bundle. I can't afford a new vehicle either, or a used one. My jeep that was stolen was my 2nd vehicle but since the law did nothing nor the insurance companies, I'm down to one + just out 10K, without even an apology.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will never buy a new car again. Will always be used. Every time I see what they cost I get sick. People finance them for years and years and that astonishes me.

Remind me again why insurance did not replace your jeep?

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I only had liability coverage. My homeowners wouldn't cover it either which I have a hard time understanding as it was stolen right by my house. Then insult to injury the police report just charged him with "unauthorized use of a vehicle." He totaled out my jeep + 2 other cars in his accident but since the car was stolen my insurance company would not pay for the other 2 cars either. So if those two people only had liability then they just got screwed out of their cars too with no recompense. A buddy told me that he was sure that why the guys sentence was so mild was that the judge lowered the charges if he would roll over on some drug buddies. Makes sense but screw the victim, right? And you're right about the new vehicle prices. My friend took his truck into the dealership for a warrant call + when there looked at the new pickups. $75000.00! NO WAY!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, new truck prices are way stupid.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I have had a theory about this for many years. Now in 1973 I could buy a new truck for $4900.00 give or take, + I was making $160.00 a week. Good money then. The escalation rate of vehicle prices V/S wages has NOT increased proportionally. Today you HAVE to finance in order to buy a new truck. Now as long as financing is the law of the land as it were, the money never stops. Just like that old Mark Twain story of the guy who comes into town with the $100.00 bill + what it does to the local economy. The point being that if the dollar stops constantly moving, it will become apparent that the emperor has no clothes. And the government can't afford that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I called my supply house today + metal prices have more than doubled in the last 2 months. What I was paying for a sheet of 4/10 26 G. galv. went from $20.00 to $52.00. Thanks for the boost in the economy, Joe! 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After seeing the news reports on the 'supply chain' I am not surprised. I think we are stuck in a mess until '24 elections.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a meal at my favorite buffet(pig-out) restaurant and while there asked them if they had anymore pizza. The woman cook said she didn't know as they were running out of product to make stuff from. If they get low enough on inventory to not have a good variety of dishes to offer their customers they may have to close down until they can get food shipments in. They said all the restaurants around were having trouble keeping stocked up due to no deliveries.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Yeah, new truck prices are way stupid.

Dodge dealer wants $1900+ to replace the vacuum/power steering pump on the Cummins. I guess I'll drop it off this morning...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote