New
Find
Notify
Tools

A project I just finished Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
This winter I started a project that I should have done a long time ago. This item is a walnut Victorian (Windsor era, 1870-1890) wardrobe that I bought some 20 years or so ago and have hauled to several residences/states with me but finally put it to use. I began back in January and worked on it during bad weather days. It was in very bad condition, very rickety but now useable.

Anyway, it is finally done. I have a pantry now in my tiny kitchen. In counting the time it took I reckon there is about three weeks worth of work overall.

Backstory: I bought the cabinet out of a barnyard, it was covered in mud at the time and missing the crown molding. Photos show the restoration all the way to loading it up last weekend. I am pleased as punch. All of my preserves are in one place now instead of scattered around the house.

I opted to paint the interior due to all of the old stains and damage and used a grey paint for that. Cleaned, sanded and clear coated the exterior. Cleaned and restored the original hardware. The hardware (latches) was how I was able to identify the origin and era of the cabinet. The only new additions were the shelves. They were made by a neighbor who crafted them from sassafras logs he cut and then milled at his wood shop. Being sassafras they are lightly aromatic. I used a clear coat on the tops of them but left the undersides unfinished.

Someday I will update the rest of the kitchen cabinetry.
~~~~~~~~~~

I opted to move the fridge for this project.

Cleaning up the wood. Beautiful English walnut.

Interior work. I have no idea what chemicals left the stains inside. I don't normally like painting antiques but I do like the result here.

Hardware restoration.

Exterior finished.

Shelves.

Getting it loaded up.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
That is Beautiful . Nice work!

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Wow! You really did load it up.
Beautiful cabinet. Nice work.

Posts: 1069 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, Ann! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sassafras...what a nice finishing touch. It's a very nice piece of work, and I think I see canned stew beef. Nice.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good storage there

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually a painted wood person, but that really brightened up the inside. I think it came out wonderfully.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Sassafras...what a nice finishing touch. It's a very nice piece of work, and I think I see canned stew beef. Nice.

Venison, home grown rabbit and chicken.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

You can find furniture like that toady, but only at premium prices. And without your love, such a thing wouldn't have nearly the meaning.

Not all treasures are Gold.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I wish the rest of the kitchen looked as nice. I had a lot of fun with the project.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ann.

Well done.

I am utterly useless with wood, I prefer to work with metal.

No splinters to harm my very sensitive body! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Nicely done restoration and very functional!
Appears that it "just fit" that space in the kitchen!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote