Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security lights Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Do you prefer a light that does on at dark or from motion?

Here is what we have now that seems to have worn out after 30 years.

dark detecting light

We have had no trouble at all for 30 years except that it wore out and now motion detecting lights are more common.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer motion detectors myself. I have two, but may add more.

I'm trying to figure whether I need lights and/or cameras. If someone gets on my property I would like a video I can hand to police.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
I prefer motion detectors myself. I have two, but may add more.

First of all we don't want any "problems" and have had none.

Our neighborhood is mixed residential with lot sizes from a 1/2 acre to hundreds.

Most of all I just want someone riding up the street to see our light and drive by us because we have a light and few others on the street do besides the 'street lights' on the poles.

A motion detector light will not do that.

A primary cost may be the electric power cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the street taken to show a lot of snow.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I prefer lights AND cameras ( plural). I use lights which are motion initiated, but only because if I had the kind which stay on all night, my wife would chew my butt about the power bill.

(She'd probably chew around it until it fell clear off...not a good thing. I don't want to live with no ass! Wink

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got this Lithonia light today.

It's a 20W LED on at dusk light for $95.

The primary feature I wanted to retain was that it be seen from the road always on in the dark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Um, you can hand your video to the police every chance you get. But unless the person on your property looks directly into the camera all bets are off as far as a trespass prosecution and even then it is questionable. All the defense lawyer has to claim is that the person was lost and was attempting to find someone for directions. Looking into the camera while attempting to break into your residence is another matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Um, you can hand your video to the police every chance you get. But unless the person on your property looks directly into the camera all bets are off as far as a trespass prosecution and even then it is questionable. All the defense lawyer has to claim is that the person was lost and was attempting to find someone for directions. Looking into the camera while attempting to break into your residence is another matter.

But sometimes cameras really DO help. Here in the Phoenix area there have been 8 or more crimes solved within the last two weeks, with the help of home video cameras . Police often release the video to the local TV stations, who make it part of their news broadcasts.

Then some TV watcher identifies the person in the video, which enables police to know who needs checking out as a possible perpetrator or perpetrators.

Recently, such videos or still pictures have helped solve even burglaries perpetrated by burglary rings, clearing from 6- 15 burglaries or more all at once.

They have also led to the solving of several homicides in the last couple of months.

No system is perfect, but like a carpenter, it is going to be more effective if there is more than one tool available for use.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LED lights use hardly any power. I really don't like the color but if you want a light that stays on all nigh and uses hardly any power they are the way to go.

I aggree a well lit place is a deterrent to "bad guys". Motion lights also, neighbors may notice lights comong on when you are gone.

I would recomend a combination of both.

I ain't really a fan of cameras, most cops just look and the video and ask if YOU know who they are??????

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck: Well, here in the great Pacific Northwest you can fuggitabout prosecutors charging someone who merely appeared in a home video/photo unless he was caught committing a crime. Any prosecution as a result of merely being in a video or photo was due to either a criminal admitting to a crime or some other evidence linking him to same. Kind of like you were not charged with bank robbery since you were filmed the last time you went to the bank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You obviously don't understand good police work well. The video is not handed to the police to convict the person or persons appearing in it.

It is given to them so they may identify some suspects. Then it is good old pavement pounding and investigation to gather evidence which may lead to an arrest and successful conviction.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.