Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So What Is Going To Disappear Next? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Like the buggy whip and curb feelers things in our culture disappear as they become obsolete. Last week someone was telling me that he read where water towers in every U.S. town were going to disappear in the next ten years as new technology was now available to replace them. If you listen to Google, Tesla, etc., car drivers are going to disappear as driverless cars become popular.

Any other thoughts?

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'd hope driverless trucks come first.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
All traditional American values are on the endangered list.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did gravity stop working?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Like the buggy whip and curb feelers things in our culture disappear as they become obsolete. Last week someone was telling me that he read where water towers in every U.S. town were going to disappear in the next ten years as new technology was now available to replace them. If you listen to Google, Tesla, etc., car drivers are going to disappear as driverless cars become popular.

Any other thoughts?

Your towns still have water towers ? Good luck with a driver less car in the Boonies. Wink Thinking civilization, at least as we know it, is is going to disappear before soon .

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jobs

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting to see how get water pressure with no tower.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobelk99

You still got elk in Kentucky, or did the already disappear?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
13,687 and counting.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just askin' ,I wonder how Samantha Christoforetti handled a bowl of spaghetti in space ?
Can you quick charge a Tesla if it gets hit by lightning ?
Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any other thoughts?

If you look at the valuations gm and Ford trade at relative to tesla or mbly - the stock market is pricing that in 10 years the auto industry will be radically different. I disagree - I think change will be evolutionary.

A real driverless car like the one google is testing uses massive spectrum - 100 times what your smart phone does.

If there is one mode of transport that should be fully automated it's planes - will not see that either.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when are curb feelers obsolete?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M-m-m... reloading?

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vashper, you may be right. It may disappear along with hunting. I have reloading gear for pistols, rifles, shotguns and thought I would get back into it when I retired and returned from overseas. Can't find a reason to.

I think stand-alone watches are done. Smart phones and smart watches are going to do them in. Throw in alarm clocks as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me, but it's been a fine ride..........a few more women wouldn't have hurt, but the trophy fees cost more than I wanted to pay.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Gordo. Fast cars, faster women, and somehow 44 years have gone by since I came home from 'Nam...

It brings me to what my Grandfather told me about the time he turned sixty.

"Richard, by time you turn sixty, half of the stuff you have won't work anymore, and the other half will hurt most of the time..."

I do believe he was/is right...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just remembered the ban on the circulation of lead in California. If it's going to spread... the Pressure on gun owners goes in all directions.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the tech wizards and pundits hate to admit but technological change is largely random. What technology survives and conquers is very hard to predict.

Take the house of the future - 30 years back if you asked someone they would say it would be like a epcot exhibition.

Turns out we got the house of the future and it fits into a 100 year house with minimal modification. Less modification than it took to bring power to the house. All you need today is single access broadband and wifi. You have have everything electronic and electrical connected. No one imagined that - everyone was focused everything else but wireless spectrum.

Same ways changes to cars will come with more evolutionary stuff. Problem is cars replaced ever 12-15 years - its a positive and a negative.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping rap music goes the way of the buggy whip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I will happily keep my flip phone, Casio wrist watch and my Westclox (USA made!) keywound alarm clock. The gizmo replacements for same cost way too much, don't do anything I need them to do any better, and are made with planned obsolescence built in. I will spend the money I save on firearms, ammo, and reloading supplies. Given the state of our nation, THAT is money well spent!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, one other thing. Ham radio operators.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHAT ??? I hear Texas Hams even here in NY state and they even speak English !
There are good Ham clubs in the east Sussex Co NJ [is Biebs a Ham? } and Orange Co in NY.
AC2RC

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife's family were original, died-in-the-wool, ham radio nuts. They would show me logs of their calls and contacts to way-back-when. None of the younger generation do that now. I think video games and social networking pretty much nailed ham radio. I heard the Japanese are the biggest users now.

I personally never could understand a damn thing on a ham radio. I knew others that learned a foreign language simply by operating ham radio. The plus was always that countries could control their phone lines, but ham operators could get their message out if push came to shove.

RIP; ham radio is toast.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex-partner in business died about 12 years ago. He was a HAM operator.He was a radarman on a minesweep in the early 60's. I still have the horizontal mast on my shop although I could'nt tell you anything about it.No interest for me there.No water towers eh? Well we do still have pumps. My concern here in Texas is the water source,not the pumping capability.Right now 150 people are moving into Austin daily.Although we had an abnormal wet spring there is not enough water to go around for this kind of growth. So in answer to the question of What will disappear next? Well,our fair city is disappearing daily due to the influx of outsiders that don't treasure her as we do.High rise condos,rude drivers,et.al. A lovely life style will disappear + that I will truly miss.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technology advances faster than our ability to deal with it. Think Industrial Revolution in the early 1800's.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Remember Luddites + sabots?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the current trends will accelerate, like an out of control car on a mountain road.

Science /Technology and automated systems will outstrip mankind's intellectual capabilities to manage things as we become over dependent upon high speed, reflex reactive systems and machines (banking algorithms, military technology replacing trained, experienced humans).

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military, after Vietnam, tried to go high tech. It has cost many servicemen and women their lives for the Pentagon Fatcats to rediscover that an infantryman, on the ground with a shoulder fired weapon; is still the queen of battles.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm hoping rap music goes the way of the buggy whip.

I would donate to that cause.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tesla has only been able to stay in business by trading carbon credits, since they have zero emissions, to the car companies; and government handouts...