THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Funeral attendance at Arlington National cemetery

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral attendance at Arlington National cemetery Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Has anyone here attended a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery?

A dear friend that I served with many years ago on board the USS INDEPENDENCE will be interred there and I would like to attend. My main concern is how to get into the place, and how much time it will take to get there given the horrendous traffic around Washington and suburbs.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I went to one in the 60's so anything I would say would be very dated. There is bound to be info online about your FAQ.Please post your findings,I am sure others would like to know as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there 3 years ago to bury my father. There are 25 to 30 funerals a day.I had no problem getting into Arlington and finding where to go.Allow plenty of time and visit the other memorials.Arlington is an incredible moving experience that needs to be visited by all americans.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with your statement 100%. EVERY American should see it at least once,+ thank GOD that we are living as we are because of those brave men.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hvrhunter

Was the traffic going to Arlington prohibitive? By that I mean how much extra time did you have to allow to get to the cemetery?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't advise you on the aspects of using a POV to access Arlington National Cemetery. But I know that it is, perhaps, one of the easiest national monuments to attend. There are buses, shuttle services, private limos, and the Metro train system providing service, 24/7, to several stops within the grounds. Public transportation is the best way to get there. Once there, unless one is infirm, virtually the entire memorial is within walking. I'd advise the Metro rail system, or one of the shuttle services available from several points around the Mall.

Whatever hardships encountered by making the pilgrimage, they are far out-weighed by the honor of walking those hallowed grounds.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy2
We were there Feb.18,2015 ,the day washington got hit with snow & mid teens tempetures that shut down most of the area.My point is there were few cars out.We arrived mid morning for my father's 3:00 service.Sevice starting point is @ the administration building 1/2 hour before the service.Advise the security guards that you are there for a funeral.You will need your vehicle from the service start point throughout the entire service.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote