New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right to carry in Texas Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
As most of you know that on Jan. 1st 2016 we will allowed open carry (providing we already have a CCL).I read an article in the TSRA magazine where the author says that it's been 140 years since reconstruction + the right to carry. He asks members to do so on that date as a showing of solidarity,even if you never carry open the rest of the year.Now here's the rub. I mentioned this to a fellow TSRA member who is also a computer "geek". He informed me that there has been a lot of traffic on facebook between the anti gun crowd to get a group together + upon seeing an open carry individual to "claim" that he/she pulled the piece on them + they have witnesses. Take one out of the pool;'you get my drift. On opening day at least,you may want your own witness.Just like the liberal lunatic fringe though to try to convict someone of a felony when they in fact were the felons.Just be aware amigos.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one consulted me on this issue but I think it is a semi-stupid law given that the only people who can open carry after Jan 1 already have a or will have to obtain a CCL (that name will be changed apparently). I suppose that not having to worry about concealment if you are on your way to your hunting lease, dangerous job, or whatever is the only real excuse for it. Why would you possibly open carry in an urban situation for self defense? You're just making yourself into the first potential target and giving away the element of surprise. If I had some type of mass murder, robbery, etc etc evil intentions and saw an open carry in the vicinity, my first shot would be into the back of his head. Again, my opinion, but the people who think they have gained something are just about as dumb as the law. Now, if they made open carry legal for all legal gun owners we might have made some advances instead of shooting ourselves in the foot by allowing some people who think they have to display their weapons to go around scaring the population.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida the legislature is also considering allowing open carry for those with CCLs, the rationale being that currently, the law says that if a person has a CCL but "allows" his/her weapon to be seen, even slightly and accidently (not in an act of self-defense), then the CCL holder is guilty of a crime. Consequently, the anti's are turning in anyone who is carrying concealed but unintentionally allows a glimpse, no matter how briefly.

The answer to that problem is to allow CCLs to carry openly; then the momentary sighting of a concealed weapon would no longer be a problem.

Personally, I don't understand why the lawmakers don't simply repeal (or outline exceptions to) the law that makes seeing a concealed weapon a crime. Confused

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1545 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're just making yourself into the first potential target and giving away the element of surprise. If I had some type of mass murder, robbery, etc etc evil intentions and saw an open carry in the vicinity, my first shot would be into the back of his head. Again, my opinion

45 states allow open carry these things have not happened. Depending on the weather I open carry a lot 98 percent of the people do not notice.

The nicest thing about having open carry legal is not worrying about printing unintentional exposure. Or just forgetting to bring a jacket or shirt along to cover up with when making a quick trip to the store.

The hype that open carriers well be shot first is pushed by the anti's. They hate to lose just a little bit in the gun rights fight.

For those who are new to open carry here's a good web site for you.

www.opencarry.org

They even have a Texas forum

http://forum.opencarry.org/for...isplay.php?127-Texas

Constitutional carry is the goal every win is just another step in that direction.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hype that open carriers well be shot first is pushed by the anti's.

Can you cite any crime where the criminals KNEW someone had a weapon in open carry and went on with the crime without taking action against him and he/she then proceeded to stop the crime? Not saying it is not possible, after all, many criminals are high on drugs, and may not be functioning too well mentally. All the articles that I've read that stated that open carry gave away the advantage of surprise were written by people who were obviously not anti-gun.

I certainly agree that open carry takes the onus off off CC holders about displaying the firearm and that is the main good purpose it serves IMO.

The real question is, when nuts about open carry like we have in Texas, walk into the corner grocery store or McDonald's with a AR-15 or similar, do you really believe that helps our 2nd amendment rights. If it hadn't of been for the OC nuts in Texas, we would almost certainly have a universal open carry, not the restricted ones we have now. I suppose you realize that OC makes it much easier for real terrorists to engage in Paris type assaults. I would suggest it is only a matter of time before it happens here.

We can spout "2nd Amendment" all we want, but when enough people are outraged both by illegal acts, such as mass shootings, and scared by OC nuts, among other things, the 2nd will be tromped in the ground.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The real question is, when nuts about open carry like we have in Texas, walk into the corner grocery store or McDonald's with a AR-15 or similar, do you really believe that helps our 2nd amendment rights. If it hadn't of been for the OC nuts in Texas, we would almost certainly have a universal open carry, not the restricted ones we have now

You would have nothing if it were not for the people pushing for their rights.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
The real question is, when nuts about open carry like we have in Texas, walk into the corner grocery store or McDonald's with a AR-15 or similar, do you really believe that helps our 2nd amendment rights. If it hadn't of been for the OC nuts in Texas, we would almost certainly have a universal open carry, not the restricted ones we have now

You would have nothing if it were not for the people pushing for their rights.

No we would have more if it wasn't for the nuts that among other things barged into a legislator's office carrying 15s, etc. We have many people "pushing for our rights" everyday, including the Texas State Rifle Assoc. of which I and my son are proud life members. They have a legislative branch/person who does more good than the damage all the OC carry nuts did, but she couldn't overcome the damage in this instance. BTW, to be clear, by "OC nuts", I don't mean a person who supports the right to OC, I mean the ones who went around scaring the public and generally acting like their elevator takes a right turn somewhere along the route.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went on the road to work I let my CHL lapse. But from what I remember about the training and the law, there is no crime committed if an individual inadvertently "shows" he is carrying while attempting to carry concealed. The intent is that you do your best to conceal; if the pistol/revolver "prints" through your shirt, or if you reach for fruit or something in a store and the holster or stocks show, you have committed no crime.

Frankly, the idea that open carry removes the potential for CHL holders to show while carrying concealed I find rather silly.

And finally, we may have a few problems based on open carry, but I suspect they will be very few if any, at all, just like happened when TX first went to a CHL system.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a method for the robbers to decide who to rob and who to leave alone. kinda like having a NRA sticker in the corner of your front window.
I don't have a problem with anyone wearing his "hawgleg" for all the world to see but if he has a CCL, what purpose does the visible firearm serve?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can spout "2nd Amendment" all we want, but when enough people are outraged both by illegal acts, such as mass shootings, and scared by OC nuts, among other things, the 2nd will be tromped in the ground.

More of the Texas Open Carry nut crowd heard from. Can they really be this stupid? With friends like these our enemies don't have to do anything. Damn!

BTW, unlike the last line, there are also strong supporters for OC on campus. My son among them.

quote:

Gun groups move mock shooting off Texas campus after warning
By JIM VERTUNO Dec. 9, 2015 7:00 PM EST

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Gun-rights groups that wanted to stage a mock mass shooting at the University of Texas agreed to move their event off-campus after getting a warning from the school that they could be arrested.

The groups Come and Take It Texas and Dontcomply.com announced plans for the Saturday event that would include cardboard guns and fake blood.

The Austin campus is the site of one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history: sniper Charles Whitman killed 16 people in 1966, shooting dozens of victims from a perch atop the central clock tower.

The university issued a statement Wednesday warning that the Austin campus isn't open to outside groups staging demonstrations. The university said violators could face criminal trespassing charges.

The groups then said they would move their demonstration to an area next to campus.

Organizers said the purpose of staging a mock shooting is to rally support for gun rights. The event would come less than two weeks after shooters killed 14 people in San Bernardino, California.

University officials said they support free speech but outside groups are routinely barred from demonstrating on campus.

"When outside individuals come on campus and violate our rules regarding use of our grounds and facilities, they are asked to leave. If they do not, it becomes a criminal trespass matter," Texas spokesman J.B. Bird said.

The groups planning the mock mass shooting would coincide with a planned "open carry" march in Austin with demonstrators carrying long rifles.

State law currently bans guns from college campuses, but that will change next year. State lawmakers voted to allow concealed handgun license holders to bring their weapons on campus, including classrooms and dorms, with some limitations.

University of Texas officials will soon release recommendations on where concealed handguns will be allowed and where they will still be prohibited.

The law has met vigorous resistance from students and faculty. Some teachers have threated to quit or sue if they are not allowed to ban guns from their classrooms.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
Here in Florida the legislature is also considering allowing open carry for those with CCLs, the rationale being that currently, the law says that if a person has a CCL but "allows" his/her weapon to be seen, even slightly and accidently (not in an act of self-defense), then the CCL holder is guilty of a crime. Consequently, the anti's are turning in anyone who is carrying concealed but unintentionally allows a glimpse, no matter how briefly.

The answer to that problem is to allow CCLs to carry openly; then the momentary sighting of a concealed weapon would no longer be a problem.

Personally, I don't understand why the lawmakers don't simply repeal (or outline exceptions to) the law that makes seeing a concealed weapon a crime. Confused

In about 2000-2003, I was in Oak Harbor, Washington in a gun shop and the dealer told me that a customer with a CCW came in and had their gun visable.

The dealer told me that they called the cops on them.

At the time I thought it was the stupidest thing I had ever heard. Now that I have been on this planet for a few more years and I have actually met Obama I have to change things. It is the second stupidist thing I have ever heard.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colorado has always had open carry. Only need the CCW for concealed.
No problems with either that I know of. Every now and then I see someone with one strapped on. Most in eateries.

The last several years there's been times when we've had a series of home breakins when folks are known to be there. One recently was shot, too bad not killed, only wounded. Though I'll bet he learned his lesson.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is open carry allowed in or on vehicle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Is open carry allowed in or on vehicle?

If you're asking about Texas, the answer is yes and no. Anyone who can legally possess a pistol can carry one concealed in his vehicle. However if you want to OC in a vehicle, you must be a LTC (license to carry) or CCL (concealed carry license, now defunct but still in effect and converted legally to a LTC on Jan 1, 2016)holder AND the pistol MUST be in a shoulder or belt holster (clarification added: an OC pistol in a vehicle MUST be in a shoulder or belt holster REGARDLESS of whether one is wearing it or not).

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Once again,you are depending on the officers knowledge of the law.Most of them don't have a clue.Credentials being below 50 on an I.Q. scale
+ the desire to harass anyone who is smarter than them ;which means everyone.These young pups who strut their stuff like billy bad ass are going to get them selves killed and many others just by their attitudes.Not by decent citizens mind you;but you get the picture.Actually DECENT citizens might be the ticket.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote