Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Fast Are You? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
You know you've been dying to know this. How fast is your computer? My Download / Upload speeds are 15.69 / 1.88 this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 102.75 / 31.09. I've been as high as 120 Mbps but 100'ish is pretty typical for Xfinity.

In Africa I am happy to just have Internet. Speed is whatever they can muster that day.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
16.06, 3.63

I'm on Excede satellite and I, as usual with the kids at home, am on data restriction. Supposedly about as fast as dial up, but it is faster. However, many pics and other common add ons to screens won't load at all.

I wouldn't recommend Excede but the only other game for us out here in the sticks is Hughes, which we had before and might be better but we were sucked in by Excede's "newer, better" ads, which are basically BS. I can change now as the initial 2 years is up, but lethargy has me still using Excede.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 Mbps is pretty decent for satellite and Exceed seems to advertise and test to be the best broadband. The problem with satellite is the latency which can be as high as 600+ ms - that's No Bueno. But it's like you said, when you have no other choice, it sure beats the post office.

I can remember the days of switching from 1200 to 2400 bits/s as a big leap and then when 14.4 kbit/s was possible you were really cooking.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
31 download, 4.5 up, on Charter

John

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is Dish satellite as I'm like Charlie, out in the sticks.
18.08 and 3.83. It is too expensive!!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
43/11 on my iPhone on wifi

I think direct cable should be 100 plus

Wifi congestion and getting digital media optimally over wifi/spectrum is going to be the future.

Think about house the house of the future - connected devices ect happen via wifi which was unplanned.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you stat internet guys - do you stream movies ect online ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We sure don't stream movies. Some way or other we are using 30 gigs of bandwith. Our expensive contract gives us 15 gigs and we pay $10 per gig for the rest. We don't even watch youtube.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
We sure don't stream movies. Some way or other we are using 30 gigs of bandwith. Our expensive contract gives us 15 gigs and we pay $10 per gig for the rest. We don't even watch youtube.

Do you have lte wireless in your area ?

I think in next 12-18 months we will see some pretty interesting things with cheap sat based Internet - basic access stuff but you will be able to get internet on smart phones using a sat uplink and very reasonable rates - good for Africa and off shore fishing.

I think next 5-10 years - Goog and fb will figure a way to get nearly everyone global cheap very basic internet access.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the truth. My kids burn through our monthly allowance in record time. What I do is not all that affected by the "restriction" that we are then put on. I'm not paying for extra gigs, screw 'em. I'm also not so damn sure about their "counting".

We also have piss poor cell reception at our house, barely enough for texts to work, if you hold the phone by a window, but making calls or using their sat service for net access is out of the question.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

That's the truth. My kids burn through our monthly allowance in record time. What I do is not all that affected by the "restriction" that we are then put on. I'm not paying for extra gigs, screw 'em. I'm also not so damn sure about their "counting".

Charlie,
I don't trust Dish. Our contract has expired. We need to look elsewhere.
All we have available to us is Sat. and a 56K phone line. Heard from my neighbor that some retired Raytheon engineers have set up an antenna deal with a receiver on it for the internet. Haven't checked it out yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have to go to the front of our property for cell service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm screaming down a straight country road with the top down.

We called and told AT&T to come get their equipment, we were making a change. They instead pulled their (obsolete?) system and installed new modems. I'm downloading at 20.95 Mbps and uploading at 1.91 Mbps. I'll never see another poor day.

Why do you have to threaten people to get the service you paid for to begin with.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At brightouse

I am am 169.85/11.74 Ethernet cable and 167.16/11.66 on wifi with computer right next to wifi router

That is scary fast.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
56.6/15.2 That's fast enough for me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
1.25 down and 0.43 up

You make some sacrifices when you choose to live in the boonies.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote