THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Fascinating How Modern People Are Incapable Of...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fascinating How Modern People Are Incapable Of... Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Living a normal life.

I was looking at YouTube and saw a clip of SURVIVOR.

They were on a tropical island.

No one thought of building a platform to keep them off the ground, so when it rained, they got swamped.

They had fire starters, up non of them was able to light a fire - because all the wood was wet.

No one thought of cracking coconut hulls.

They had fishing lines and hooks, but were unable to catch fish!

They had a speargun, and lost it to the deep on first use. rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All because it was written in the script.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was scripted, but an example of modern younger folks today.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I get involved in quite a bit of out door activities.

And I find very few young people are actually capable of getting themselves out of any sticky situation themselves.

They are very quick on the phone calling for help, and waiting for it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid our version of Survivor was Gillian's Island. Was just as "reality" as current shows.
They had constructed huts, beds, table and chairs. Difference between earlier generations and today’s.

How could The Professor make a radio from coconuts but not fix the boat?

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
All because it was written in the script.

M

Very much so.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I find very few young people are actually capable of getting themselves out of any sticky situation themselves.

They are very quick on the phone calling for help, and waiting for it.

And, they never learn from the first situation and they will call you again and again and again. . . . . .

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You know, the Boy Scouts of America has recently become a punching bag in many circles, but as a Scoutmaster I can attest that my Scouts are not likely to sit and wait for help. By the time they have spent a couple years in the program, they know what it's like to be cold, tired, and hungry, and then to do something about it. More youth should participate in such activities.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating to me, how modern people watch this shit. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had the honor + privilege of being a Boy Scout in a Troop in Va. when our Scoutmasters were retired Navy that was WW2 vets. They taught us a lot + I still recall most of it. The emphasis was always on survival. That early training came free (in a way) for me I am grateful for everything I learned + retained. Not like the scouts of today but I will pass on that subject.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
during the recent storm we had the grandkids 8 and 10 here with us. we try to get em out of austin as much as possible. they can drive a kawasaki mule, 98 chevy PU, track wolf prints (the dogs), build a fire, build a small lean to against a tree, plant, shoot a 410 etc etc. they love it. were supposed to be here for a weekend when they storm hit. they endured little water, spotty electricity, a cold house and food for 6 days. at one point i said see kids, this is how the pioneer kids lived, and worse. at which the 8 yr old said yea but at least they got to watch tv. my wife still thinks it was funny.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I can relate. When we had our big ice storm in the 90s we were without power or water for 3 days. Most folks were out for 2 weeks. I heated with wood + cooked with gas so we were O.K. but with no power, the kids were going through the D.T.s because of no video games. Guess what kids, it's storytime.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had the honor + privilege of being a Boy Scout in a Troop in Va. when our Scoutmasters were retired Navy that was WW2 vets. They taught us a lot + I still recall most of it.

Yep. Scouting back then was not only a great adventure, but it truly prepared you for life if you actually took a serious part in it. Can't say enough about Scouting from back in the day. I became an Eagle Scout in 1964, and until just recently, was active as an adult Scouter in the program, in such things, among others, as Wood Badge Course Director, OA Lodge activities, numerous Council and District committees and leadership positions, Eagle Council Board of Reviews, Scoutmaster at the National Jamboree, Trek Leader to Philmont Scout Ranch, Mountain Man Rendezvous booshway, etc. etc. etc. To paraphrase from a Hank Williams Jr. song: 'This country boy/scouter can survive' Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! These pansies today that espouse that the boy scouts are not a paramilitary unit in training are full of shit. That is exactly what Baden -Powell had in mind. Oh well, no use of preaching to the choir.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Yes indeed! These pansies today that espouse that the boy scouts are not a paramilitary unit in training are full of shit. That is exactly what Baden -Powell had in mind. Oh well, no use of preaching to the choir.

Yep, 1970. Knife and three matches. Make a fire or stay cold. Still have the knife.
I'm no Bear Gryllis or some Mountain Man, but I am darned proud of my ability to be self-sufficient.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Vaughn, I have to agree about Jrs. song, "I'd love to spit some beechnut in this dude's eye + shoot him with my old 45."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a Boy Scout. Never destined for greatness there though. I earned every shooting badge available, as well as first aid, lifesaving and everything to do with water, but I was single minded so never advanced much in rank. During summer camp, I spent most nights catching snakes. During the day, I caught bats. They generally ignored the curfew violations and the snakes were generally welcome. They didn't like the bats much because of the rabies concerns. Understandable today, but didn't understand it at the time. I ran out of what I was interested in and dropped out. But it was a good experience overall. I shot A LOT.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Boy Scouts my crowning achievement was the "God + Country" award that went along with the merit badges. I think my German heritage was partly responsible for wanting that medal. As for shooting when I was a kid on base, I could go to the indoor range to shoot + was given 30 22 rnds. per day. You could bring more of your own but the 30 was free gratis. That really promotes a young man shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

I was your worst nightmare as a scout when you were a scoutmaster. I realize that now. Climbing down the banks of the Arroyo Colorado alone at night looking for snakes wasn't a great idea. But it was a lot of fun. I did avoid the water moccasins and rattlesnakes.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote