Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Tax Appraisals Login/Join 
one of us
posted
If you live in North Texas.......................SURPRISE...............Your property taxes just went up. Probably about 10%.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If you live in North Texas.......................SURPRISE...............Your property taxes just went up. Probably about 10%.

Let them eat cake!

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If you live in central Texas (primarily the Austin cordon) it's even more than that. Comment from the woman at the appraisal office was "Well we love our children." What a crock.Just an excuse for more taxation.I'm protesting again.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stop complaining. Someone has to pay for the benefits given to illegal immigrants. If you are paying more, that means I might have to pay less.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since "land-owning Texans" have elevated themselves to some higher status than all the illegal alien low wage laborers they hire to undercut the earning power of genuine American workers, they SHOULD pay more taxes.

LOTS more, if you ask me.

Every chance I get to vote for higher taxes on the rich, I do it - and I am proud of it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Karl,I find you clueless on the issuse in our state.I own land,I do not employ wets in my business.I am not by any means "rolling in the dough",actually I barely make it by because I pay my bills while the wealthier gets by by not paying me on time.That does not stop me from believing in the capatalistic system of free enterprise.The real reason that our property taxes are so high is because the people from california are moving here + paying inflated prices in lieu with what they sold for in cal. That drives up the "values" falsely.The only ones who suffer are those of us who still live here.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I would like to see personal property tax prohibited by law in every state. If you think about it you will realize that you do not own your property if you must pay a tax on it every year. If you fail to pay the tax they take your property, just like a repossession. Therefore, you never really owned it to begin with, you were only renting it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Californians moving into Texas and Texans getting a premium for their properties, making the Texans richer.....and that is not capitalistic? Sounds like capitalism to me and that is what Texans like. Stop complaining....the illegals have to eat too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one way, shape or form...the government either owns it, controls it, taxes it or manipulates it. No way around it.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
All jurisdictions have an appeal process; use it.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Karl:
Since "land-owning Texans" have elevated themselves to some higher status than all the illegal alien low wage laborers they hire to undercut the earning power of genuine American workers, they SHOULD pay more taxes.

Every chance I get to vote for higher taxes on the rich, I do it - and I am proud of it.

Wealth envy?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my many pet peeves is that people who don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of (like dumbass Karl above as an example) are allowed to vote in property tax elections. Talk about taxation without representation. Everyone who votes in one should have to show at least one property tax bill or payment before being allowed to vote.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
One of my many pet peeves is that people who don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of (like dumbass Karl above as an example) are allowed to vote in property tax elections. Talk about taxation without representation. Everyone who votes in one should have to show at least one property tax bill or payment before being allowed to vote.

I hate property tax. i hate the 6 percent commission to buy and sell real estate in us.

Why I don't own too much real estate. I would only think of owning farm propert exempt from real estate taxes and income earning to build a real estate portfolio.

The fact the quick Karl class of Americans have a say in property tax determining elections is why we see distributiionist policies at local level. Everyone has a hand out that needs to be funded by property taxes.

Property is very cheap in us - outside of NYC, San Fran and certain local jurisdictions. But holding property is very expensive - taxes and insurance kill you. The commission to transact is criminal.

Don't get me started on HOA.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find everyone battling against red tape when it comes to real estate.

I've actually changed my opinion of HOAs to so extent recently. I started participating more in three of them, and found the people behind the HOAs very similar in thought on my concerns, but don't have the tools for enforcement. Case in point, I fought with one HOA regarding a neighbor that had built two home made extensions on the back of his house, and added two shacks inside the back yard. This inside a neighborhood of $250,000 homes and supposedly a working HOA, and city building codes. I finally gave-up fighting, and "joined" them by attending HOA meetings. Once I got on their side and explained my concern, I found out their covenants didn't give them much power. They did recommend that I go to the city for help. The city code enforcement people looked at it and said the crap in the backyard had been there so long that forcing the neighbor to comply with city code NOW would open up a can of worms citywide. I threw up my hands .......... and then God stepped in and sent hail storms in March and April that flattened the DIY extensions, and storage shacks. I went back to the city and suggested that now was the time to prevent reconstruction. They agreed and paid a visit to the neighbor. Problem solved. I find many people serving in HOAs are good people, but misguided in many cases.

One thing I see occurring is that due to the rate and diversity of immigration, cultural backgrounds come into play. Trust me. First generation immigrants from third world countries have a different opinion of what constitutes taking care of a property, or concern about others property values. Without HOAs you would find your home unsalable at anything close to what you paid for it.

I envy you guys that live out in the sticks with distance separating you from your neighbor. My brother has that luxury near Dime Box, Texas. I chuck rocks at him every time I go to visit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Wealth envy?

animal

Nope - just giving back a taste of the medicine y'all like to dish out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fortunately I do have the right to vote and whenever the vote is to raise taxes on scumbags like you, I vote yea!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 things:

It's our taxes that support deadbeat scumbags like QK.

Montana wants nothing to do with him/it.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We can sure agree on that!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The real reason that our property taxes are so high is because the people from california are moving here + paying inflated prices in lieu with what they sold for in cal. That drives up the "values" falsely.The only ones who suffer are those of us who still live here.

Well, your governor has been over here poaching jobs, and it's kind of a long commute from Orange County to Dallas.
The new chums have to live somewhere close to where their corporate masters have moved their jobs.
Y'all can have the paper-pushers, they were getting kind of thick here anyway and they vote funny.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We can sure agree on that!

In case you forgot, this in The United States, where ALL Citizens have the right to vote. And if you don't like your taxes you can sell your land and move somewhere else and let someone more successful than yourself buy your land and pay the taxes on it.

Funny how Capitalism works, ain't it?

Or do you only like it when it is working in your favor?

What goes around comes around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Wealth envy.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. Wealth envy.......

animal You don't like when the tables get turned on you, huh? tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
$.13 doesn't sound like much. (That is approximately what Quick Karl would be paying.) In the 7th and 10th paragraphs of the article is where the rubber meets the road. $13 per $100 valuation of your home.

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.c....15757032.1459601869

Your "city fathers" always brag on progress, growth. More subdivisions, more construction, more schools, more McDonalds, more highways, more parking garages, more lousy drivers. I'm tired of "more".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quite a bit more than that in my area. Lucky for landowners there are ag exemptions available that greatly reduce the amount of property taxes paid on agricultural land (very broad definition of what constitutes "agricultural land"), if you own land and aren't doing this, you are cheating yourself and paying a lot more tax than necessary. The Texas Constitution allows these exemptions (Article VIII Section 1-d-1). Your qualifying property is taxed on the appraised agricultural value and not the appraised market value of the land...a huge difference. On one of my places I have a small cabin, roughly 1000 sf. The property taxes on the cabin are 12 times more than the surrounding 100 acres of "ag" land.
And as to land values in North and Central Texas, I expect they will continue to appreciate quickly as there are about 1200 people a week moving into the DFW and Austin/San Antonio area per the NCTCOG (North Central Texas Council of Governments).
By the way, I hate real estate commissions, too. I won't even look at a piece of land for sale by a realtor.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Quite a bit more than that in my area. Lucky for landowners there are ag exemptions available that greatly reduce the amount of property taxes paid on agricultural land (very broad definition of what constitutes "agricultural land"), if you own land and aren't doing this, you are cheating yourself and paying a lot more tax than necessary. The Texas Constitution allows these exemptions (Article VIII Section 1-d-1). Your qualifying property is taxed on the appraised agricultural value and not the appraised market value of the land...a huge difference. On one of my places I have a small cabin, roughly 1000 sf. The property taxes on the cabin are 12 times more than the surrounding 100 acres of "ag" land.
And as to land values in North and Central Texas, I expect they will continue to appreciate quickly as there are about 1200 people a week moving into the DFW and Austin/San Antonio area per the NCTCOG (North Central Texas Council of Governments).
By the way, I hate real estate commissions, too. I won't even look at a piece of land for sale by a realtor.

So, you will run a few head on your land so that you can claim a loss and avoid paying your property tax obligations but you, and many others here, will be the first one to whine like a stuck pig when some poor person is scamming Food Stamps.

And y'all wonder why Liberals are wiping the floor with you - it is because your hypocrisy is so fawking glaring that it can be seen from the Andromeda Galaxy!

The Ag Exemption was created for GENUINE farmers - not tax evaders!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl

Personally, I don't care that you are scamming Food Stamps.

I just want you to be happy. You're not happy where you live, by your own admission. You're not happy with your life, by your petulant rhetoric. Come to terms with it as best you can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

So, you will run a few head on your land so that you can claim a loss and avoid paying your property tax obligations but you, and many others here, will be the first one to whine like a stuck pig when some poor person is scamming Food Stamps.

And y'all wonder why Liberals are wiping the floor with you - it is because your hypocrisy is so fawking glaring that it can be seen from the Andromeda Galaxy!

The Ag Exemption was created for GENUINE farmers - not tax evaders!

Where I live most of the AG "exemptees" are St. Augustine grass farmers.....how the hell is that Agriculture?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where I live most of the AG "exemptees" are St. Augustine grass farmers.....how the hell is that Agriculture?

My point is that the exemption was conceived (supposedly) to benefit genuine farmers, and when folks skirt their taxes by scamming a system they are no better in my eyes than welfare cheats, and by doing what they do, they legitimize the welfare cheats they complain about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I buy and sell and have bought and sold thousands of acres using real estate agents. In most cases I think they earn their money. I know for a fact that I'd either starve to death or be in jail if I was a real estate agent having to put up with dickheads like QK and similar. Like the old saying goes, as a RE agent, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Being a regular client of some I have been given first shot at some very good deals on which I made hundreds of percent after a few years.......makes whining about 5 or 6% seem pretty chicken shit, but to each his own.

This was a few years back, but a local wanted to move and sell his place, and he, too, didn't want to pay a commission. So he came up with a price, put it on the market FSBO and it quickly sold and re-sold. He got his asking price, but, it turns out his price was too low and he left about 50% on the table for the first guy who bought it and promptly re-sold it 50% higher. But he saved his 6% commission.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I buy and sell and have bought and sold thousands of acres using real estate agents. In most cases I think they earn their money. I know for a fact that I'd either starve to death or be in jail if I was a real estate agent having to put up with dickheads like QK and similar. Like the old saying goes, as a RE agent, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Being a regular client of some I have been given first shot at some very good deals on which I made hundreds of percent after a few years.......makes whining about 5 or 6% seem pretty chicken shit, but to each his own.

This was a few years back, but a local wanted to move and sell his place, and he, too, didn't want to pay a commission. So he came up with a price, put it on the market FSBO and it quickly sold and re-sold. He got his asking price, but, it turns out his price was too low and he left about 50% on the table for the first guy who bought it and promptly re-sold it 50% higher. But he saved his 6% commission.

Gato,

You big-time bragging about how rich you are on an internet forum too? animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not bragging, it ain't bragging if it is a fact. And there are without doubt many people on this forum who have lots more money than I do and I'm happy for them.

You, on the other hand, are a simple minded little piss ant who couldn't make money with a printing press. Envy may be colored green but that, and trying to suck up your uncle's hard earned money, is as close as you can get to the color of money.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No efficient market has a 6 percent trading commission. You can buy real estate in hk for less than 1 percent. If you are land banking, accumulating parcels and dealing in non typical property (not residential or commercial) than I can see a real estate agent. To sell a cookie cutter house and pay 6 percent is digging one self into a hole.

I can see a auction house and its comission to sell a collector gun. Not to sell a Glock 17.

Real estate market has a fixed rule - 6 percent. Same price for glock 17 or some collector gun.

I would pay a commission for price discovery, liquidity, financial intermediation. But 6 percent as a blanket rule is getting shafted especially if I walk in and like the place and don't have a agent.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Real estate market has a fixed rule - 6 percent.

No, everything is negotiable. I typically pay 5%, my buddy in NY was amazed that I paid anything more than 3%.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am a buyer how do I get a rebate on the 6 percent. The commission is paid by the seller but in reality it is split. If I have an agent she will take her half. If I come in from the cold how do I get a split of the commission without being a licensed real estate agent ?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say you don't. You, as a buyer, are apparently making an offer that you are willing to pay. If you are represented by an agent, they usually get something, usually in my experience, 2% but why should you get any of it, but, if you can negotiate a cut, go for it.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, as in any business, there are some few who get rich as RE agents, usually in richer markets, but most agents are not rolling in money and many struggle to get by, just like the rest of the population. As an agent, you only really make any real money on high dollar sales, but the average agent out in the smaller towns will probably never see a multi-million dollar listing.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say you don't. You, as a buyer, are apparently making an offer that you are willing to pay. If you are represented by an agent, they usually get something, usually in my experience, 2% but why should you get any of it, but, if you can negotiate a cut, go for it.

That is my issue. I go find a house I like. It's is offered at 100k I buy it. The seller pays 6 percent. The commission is split with a buyers agent. If I don't have an agent the sellers agent takes the whole commission. If I get a random real estate agent they get 2 percent commission for just showing up.

I cannot negotiate with the buyer to pay 98 and her agent gets paid 4. The real estate commissions is always there - I can negotiate a lower price but the commission cut percentage remains. That is a sign of a high transaction cost market - exactly why Berkshire is getting in the real estate business.

It's expensive to buy and sell real estate in the us cause the way real estate agent commissions are structured it always makes sense to have a buyers agent even if they do nothing. If I buy a place in orlando I most likely will not need an agent - listing are on the internet. I will get my contractor who is a real estate agent to represent me. He will make more than I paid him to make my patio extension.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the obvious answer is not to buy any real estate if it bothers you that much. It doesn't bother me at all. I've been around agents all my life and, as I said earlier, I think most of them earn their money.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the obvious answer is not to buy any real estate if it bothers you that much. It doesn't bother me at all. I've been around agents all my life and, as I said earlier, I think most of them earn their money.

Na - it just forces one to put real estate into longer term holding period.

I want to get in your type of property - farms and ranches - but running and maintaining those is real work and in Florida 3 times the normal work. Nature in this state is an evasive species.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not bragging, it ain't bragging if it is a fact. And there are without doubt many people on this forum who have lots more money than I do and I'm happy for them.

You, on the other hand, are a simple minded little piss ant who couldn't make money with a printing press. Envy may be colored green but that, and trying to suck up your uncle's hard earned money, is as close as you can get to the color of money.

Gato,

Rest sure that the last thing I am, is envious of some douchebag like you.