The Accurate Reloading Forums
MeatEater On Netflix

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3611043/m/3091079162

30 September 2020, 00:56
Kensco
MeatEater On Netflix
I watched episodes last night that included Nilgai hunting in South Texas, and mule deer hunting in Wyoming. It wasn't quite American Sportsmen, but it seemed a good substitute. It also shows on the Sportsman Channel.

https://www.themeateater.com/

I questioned some of his decisions. He seemed to have put a poor shot on a Nilgai at close range.

After shooting the mule deer he decided to gut the animal and then drag (slide) him down the side of the mountain "for fear of damaging the meat"? I've done the opposite numerous times. No use getting mud, dirt, and leaves in the body cavity if you don't have to. I would have let him slide, then gutted him on level ground and waited for the horses.

To each his own I guess. Decent program though.
30 September 2020, 03:08
Use Enough Gun
I've watched a lot of episodes of MeatEater on Netflix and I like them.
30 September 2020, 03:24
DCS Member
The same guy did "Stars in the Sky," which is a documentary about hunting.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS
30 September 2020, 09:33
muzza
The thing I like about MeatEater is it isnt full of kill shots and high fives. More a warts and all real hunt with the hunter not always winning

Old enough to know better
30 September 2020, 09:41
NormanConquest
I hunted nilgai in south Texas many years ago. I was accompanying a friend of mine who was a newspaper editor that was covering a story + asked if I wanted to come along. That was the occasion to buy my 1st 375 H+H.

Never mistake motion for action.
01 October 2020, 02:48
Kensco
Muzza, I agree with you. It's warts and all.

I did have to laugh when his pal said it was a tradition with him to tear-up a wad of grass and stuff it in the mule deer's mouth after he killed it so he would have a first meal to take with him (to the happy hunting ground.....I guess).

I'm not one of those guys that has to say a prayer after I kill game, or thank God, or stuff grass in a dead animal's mouth.

Oh, and when the guy gutted the deer on the mountainside, then drug him down to the bottom, he also tagged him on the side of the mountain and then drug the tag off and lost it in the snow, finding it the next morning.

It's a good program and I like the guy, warts and all.
01 October 2020, 16:47
Bakes
I like his POD Cast on Spotify. They have some interesting guests.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"
01 October 2020, 23:57
Jason P
Meateater is the only hunting show that I have watched recently. Its a great program and I really like how the host promotes hunting.

I cannot stand the other hunting shows. All the gadget promotions are ridiculous.
02 October 2020, 02:48
Use Enough Gun
quote:
Its a great program and I really like how the host promotes hunting.

And eating wild game.
02 October 2020, 09:19
BaxterB
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Muzza, I agree with you. It's warts and all.

I did have to laugh when his pal said it was a tradition with him to tear-up a wad of grass and stuff it in the mule deer's mouth after he killed it so he would have a first meal to take with him (to the happy hunting ground.....I guess).

I'm not one of those guys that has to say a prayer after I kill game, or thank God, or stuff grass in a dead animal's mouth.

Oh, and when the guy gutted the deer on the mountainside, then drug him down to the bottom, he also tagged him on the side of the mountain and then drug the tag off and lost it in the snow, finding it the next morning.

It's a good program and I like the guy, warts and all.

You do realize the last bite is a very old tradition. Janis didn't invent it...
02 October 2020, 16:33
umzingele
He does a great job of telling it like it is. Warts and all. I enjoy him. None of the wow gee whizz and backslapping crap. Genuine guy

https://leslievandermerwesafaris.co.za/
02 October 2020, 19:16
Kensco
Another one on Netflix that I liked was "Stars In The Sky". More of a philosophical discussion of hunting.

Hunting is "hunting" to me. It's what I do. I don't argue with people about it. Some people collect stamps. I hunt.

And that "tradition" of stuffing grass in a dead animals mouth? You would be laughed out of any hunting camp in the west if you tried that when I was growing up. The generation before me, in my family were all farm boys. They killed domestic animals and wild animals with the same mind set. "Do it right". "Do it quick". They didn't have a ceremony before or after the kill.
04 October 2020, 21:01
Use Enough Gun
quote:
And that "tradition" of stuffing grass in a dead animals mouth? You would be laughed out of any hunting camp in the west if you tried that when I was growing up. The generation before me, in my family were all farm boys. They killed domestic animals and wild animals with the same mind set. "Do it right". "Do it quick". They didn't have a ceremony before or after the kill.

Yep. 100%. I relate totally to that. I've done my share of killing domestic farm animals, along with wild animals. tu2 No ceremonies. Just simple business to finish and get over as quickly and as humanely as possible. tu2
05 October 2020, 14:50
JBrown
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Another one on Netflix that I liked was "Stars In The Sky". More of a philosophical discussion of hunting.

Hunting is "hunting" to me. It's what I do. I don't argue with people about it. Some people collect stamps. I hunt.

You guys kill me. It’s not some “weird new thing”. It’s a European tradition. It’s just a way to honor the animal- thank it for providing.

An old hunting partner of mine would do that this every animal we took. I always thought it was a classy thing to do.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown