New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texting Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off texting on a smartphone? I have a blocker on mine but the spam texts keep coming in. I very rarely use the text feature and just assume disable it. Is this possible?

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still trying to text with my fat fingers and those tiny key boards, solution, disable texting, they charge you for both messages received and sent. Most phone traffic these days is unnecessary, it's just an addiction people have developed .

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Best of luck; Personally I am still, in the rotary phone thought process. This new stuff causes me to get the kids over to do something for me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can turn off "texting", but you can turn off "notifications" so they don't distract you. Depends on the phone but for an iPhone go to "settings->notifications->messages" and turn them to OFF.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Ann, I use AT&T Call Protect

Available from ATT app site and probably other sources.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 'True Caller' which has blocking features but the spammers seem to have endless phone numbers available to them.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
The call protect app can be set to disregard unrecognized numbers. It doesn't notify you unless you want it to.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The telemarketers, spam callers, + robocalls are prevalent. I think I get at least 12 a day. Does ANYBODY buy anything from those people?! Everyone hates them; what's the deal?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
The call protect app can be set to disregard unrecognized numbers. It doesn't notify you unless you want it to.

I'll see if I can find something like that. My carrier is Verizon.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
check out nomorobo or robokiller.com

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again today I got at least a dozen telemarketer calls, including ones from supposedly SSI + AT+T (it would give more credence to their cause if they hired someone who didn't sound like Sabu.) Way too many online scams right now as the market are open to folks buying online rather than shopping (the women factor/ men never cared for shopping in the 1st place.(Not sexist, just realist.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some have seem to have found a way to get around the blocking feature on my phone.

I have blocked numbers only to have them appear again.

When I checked the numbers says it was blocked.

Makes me wonder how much money the phone companies are getting paid to let these calls happen.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use all kinds of profanity and then hang up, it don't do any good except upset my wife and make me feelgood; what else can you do?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem that I have encountered on the blocking feature is that I can only block calls that I know about. Considering it's a business line I have to take calls just to see who they are. The ones that really chapped my hide were the automated faxes that would come in at 3 in the A.M. Using up my ribbon trying to sell me something that I didn't want in the 1st place. (also waking me up). But since the calls were coming out of Canada there was nothing anyone could do. I was so pissed that I went all the way to the A.G.s office + the girl told me, "I never told you this but since you have their fax #, why not sent them back several sheets of black paper?"