New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone made an aluminium high seat? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted
Thinking of making a high seat but want it to be lit enough to shift around so was thinking of making one in sections out of aluminium.

Anyone ever done this and if so what gauge tube or box is yours. Anyone know of on line plans?

Posts: 7137 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Um, what is a high seat?
We are not talking about a little one's high chair are we?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Haha, sorry Bill, should have been more specific.

Its a ladder with a seat on top, lean it against a tree and wait for the venison to walk by. We don't tend to use feeding stations or cabins on legs here. Tend to either stalk or sit in a high seat which doesn't have to be that high as deer/foxes are mainly focused on whats close to the ground.

Ive always built them out of wood we had laying about but fancy one in aluminium i can shift about

Posts: 7137 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would imagine there are two reasons for most tree stands being made with steel.
Cost
Strength
Suitable materials readily available on the market
Easy to get a coating to stick.

Or maybe two outa three or four, who knows

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nute, got it now. It should be possible to fab one out of appropriate gauge aluminum, but as TC points out, steel sure is easy to powder coat and such.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Romanian high seat For wild boar was nearly 40-50 feet high.

My tree stands in the us is 20 feet high. It is a 2 person stand and near impossible to raise by hand. Had to use a tractor regardless of the youtube video of a 2 people doing it.

I would every day trade strength and safety for weight.

High quality aluminum is expensive and it’s welding is difficult.

https://pakmule.com/?gclid=Cjw...oOvTfZhoCcvEQAvD_BwE

I don’t see anyone making a high seat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of that. Strength + safety are paramount. A/L is lightweight, true but I have found A/L's best feature is heat dispersal rather than structural strength.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
I did consider steel but don't want the butt ache of galvanising or power coating it.

I use ladders every day which are aluminium with no problems and i can get 3mm+ wall tube pretty reasonably, just don't want to over engineer it if possible so wondered if anyone else has made one.

I can TIG weld and have AC kit so putting it together is no problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't have the patience to sit and wait any more. For whitetails, which I hunt more and more seldom these days, I still hunt, but carry a stool in case I want to sit somewhere. Never made it an hour.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I just don't have the patience to sit and wait any more. For whitetails, which I hunt more and more seldom these days, I still hunt, but carry a stool in case I want to sit somewhere. Never made it an hour.

On places where I’m invited and have to sit in a blind, I will read a book.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote